West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews for Retail Assistant Manager

Retail Assistant Manager26 reviews
Canada26 reviews
Worked here a long time ago and it was owned by billabong. Was a very fun environment great culture and cool people. I cannot speak for it now it may have changed.
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
I worked there for only a month. But what bothered me was the person who hiried me. I was made promises that apparently were never going to be met. They list benefits on their job discription, guess what! No one gets those. They love to play favorites. They don't communicate anything to people who have manager or key holder positions. The only thing I liked about working there would be the people I worked with.
I worked there for over a year. My biggest problem was with the district manager and the pay. As a keyholder I got paid 10c above minimum wage and sale associates, Could never get a sick day or days off, and Our dm never gave anybody chances or never tried to be reasonable about days off or realized how hard we were working for them. They focused mainly on stock and paperwork and not customer service which gave us lots of angry customers
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.
West 49 was a good workplace. A great place to learn the ropes of retail. Management is pretty reasonable. Most enjoyable part was the clientele and working with skateboards.
A typical day included breaking safety rules to get tasks done. Having to work completely alone in a large store wasn't uncommon. Upper management would give a task and have a completely different one an hour later emailed out.
Pros
Sales associates still bring the job culture
Cons
The company doesn't though
A great place for skateboarding culture but has deminished over the years after being sold and bought out by several companies. The soul of the shop that was found in the products they carried disappeared when knock off brands that were introduced.
Pros
Fun like minded coworkers.
Cons
No good initiative program. Discount sucked.
I loved working for West 49. I wouldn't say YM as a company is great, but West as a banner store was very enjoyable. I worked with an amazing team. Really had a great DM and RM
I enjoyed working here more than Boathouse, but the staffing and rules within the company changed when it was bought out by stitches, and I didn't like the new rule set
Management was terrible the only fun thing about working here was the other sales associates!
The management were racists and just really bad people.
Pros
Cool sale associates
Cons
No hours
They just do not care about their employees.
unless you sell you dont get hours. If you dont get hours you cant sell. As it is retail the turn over rate is high.
I got to meet some great people at this job and work in a fun customer service environment, but when it came down to it they threw their staff into the fire with very minimal training and were unwilling to work around their staff's schedules.
Fun and laid back people. Store wasn't always super busy so it was like getting paid to fold clothes and hang out with your friends. Miss it tons, it was a great job.
Pros
Interesting coworkers
Cons
Sometimes boring due to slow business
West49 was a good place to work because of the other employees, however it is very poorly run. The schedules were never made on time. They picked shifts based on people they liked. Lastly it is minimum wage.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Low pay
Fun workplace, lots of interaction with the community. Wish the company was more involved with the skate community like it use to be.
I kind of wish we had a table tennis table at work. it would be fun to play table tennis while at work. I am good at table tennis and would have one every match of table tennis.
For years West 49 was an amazing company. I've never met a West 49 employee who wasn't genuine, kind, funny, and downright awesome! I am thankful everyday for the friendships that blossomed here! This was truly a great company to work for! The culture was alive in everyone employed there, the discount was phenomenal!!!! Now they are under new management and things just aren't the same. Very unstable, terribly organized. Employees don't know what's happening day to day with deals. Very confusing. The store was never as disorganized in all my years there as it has been this past year. Very disappointed with the outcome of the job I once loved more than anything and was so proud to call mine.
Pros
Great staff, awesome product, cool culture
Cons
new managment
This was a fun place to work as an undergraduate. Staff and management were knowledgeable and truly cared about customer satisfaction.
As a sales associate, I had no direction from management. Upper management made it difficult for store managers which reflected on keyholders, and sales associates. The company was geared toward skateboarding/surfing/snowboarding culture, but had since lost its vision and opted for more fashion brands that didn't reflect its own image. A series of buy outs from large corporations left district manager, and store manager turnovers high, and lower employee moral low.
Pros
If the manager was good, I had strong goals, and learned a lot
Cons
If the manager was bad (which was frequently the case), I was left confused and under trained
I usually start my day with checking emails and opening the tills, making sure everything is put away and clean for the day to come. I will do any transfer that have to be done in the morning and then when customers come into the store I greet them and help them accordingly. At the end of the day i will do all the closing duties, which includes washout, closing the doors, filing in the paper work for that day and re checking emails and putting in sales performances for the day. The hardest part of my job would have to be doing the visual for the clothing and making sure everything looks how it should be an up to date. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be meeting new people everyday and since the store is family oriented i get to see a lot of kids which is always fun. Another part is my management and sales get along very well and it is a good environment to be in.
Pros
great environment to work in, great people, have learned lots.
Cons
not enough hours, don't get weekends off.