West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews in Winnipeg, MB

Winnipeg, MB8 reviews
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
A great place for skateboarding culture but has deminished over the years after being sold and bought out by several companies. The soul of the shop that was found in the products they carried disappeared when knock off brands that were introduced.
Pros
Fun like minded coworkers.
Cons
No good initiative program. Discount sucked.
Shift work, long hours if your salary. Learned about the skate industry and how to run a business. Day to day operation selling, cleaning coaching and training staff.
Great place to work, connected with people and yourself. Learn new skills in pros and cons in sales. I wasn't that kind of person until I started working there.
Pros
Connection with myself and learning about myself.
Cons
Not enough hours
Honestly, the job's not bad. the management isn't awesome and the hours are horrible. Everything else is good. the work is manageable and the overall atmosphere at the job is good.
the company is very good at customer relations. They have a cordial and respectable staff that are attentive to details and goal-oriented
A typical day working at West 49 inc. consists mainly of dealing with customers and job performance is evaluated on your sales and customer interaction. This job can be fun if you enjoy working with people however there is very little opportunity for advancement. There is a significant lack of direction, transparency, and positive encouragement from head-office.
Based on store performance, head office allows a limited number of work hours to be distributed amongst all staff which creates some uncertainty and variation as to how many hours you will be working each week.
Pros
Flexible hours