West 49 Employee Reviews

Fun, challenging and rewarding
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 May 2018
Good company to work for, during the time that I was there the company was sold so going through some changes was challenging but manageable. As a Store Manager they do expect you to do lots of extra "free" work out of your own time, often I had to take work home with me ex. employee reviews, scheduling, coaching etc. Offered benefits and competitive wages. No room for advancement within my area during that time unless I relocated. Great time working with visual merchandisers who were all so friendly and hard working. District Manager was awesome, always available and present. Big focus on customer service and training which is always a plus. Store was large, clean and well lit, very nice to work in. Staff were all wonderful.
Pros
Store was new, staff, wage, product
Cons
Advancement, working from home
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2018
I do not have much to say about working here as it was not for long and it wasn't a job that I wanted to have. I only took it just to take it and have money in my pocket as a high school student.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 May 2018
Working a lot on hitting minimums for the month when it comes to sales. Selling anything from shoes, shirts, socks and skateboards. Very demanding when it come to minimums
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 April 2018
The initial manager at my store was not professional at all. Very immature in front of customers and also degrading to me and other staff personally. The new managers were much better but I quit work due to returning to school full time.
Fun and awesome place
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 April 2018
I had a very fun time working here. I felt respected and wanted as an employee. It made me sad to hear of the location shutting down..................
Pros
Fair pay, good team, good discounts
Cons
Only season work. No incentive
Worst company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John Island, NL7 April 2018
Will promise you everything and give you nothing. Lies and manipulation. If your skinny and pretty you can probably have relations with someone to get to the top.
Pros
Cons
Abusive, manipulation, corrupt
Seasonal Back to School Position
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2018
This was a fun job. The training exercises were interactive and team building. The job overall focuses on meeting sales quotas which if you are not used to, can be overwhelming.
Very fun and exciting job to come to if you enjoy the product you sell and have a general interest in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ON19 January 2018
West 49 is a fun job to have for an employee who has knowledge about the product, and is also interested in the product the store has to sell and usually an interest in an action sport associated with some sold products at the store.
Pros
Easy when it wasnt busy
Cons
Bad customers
Fun place to work however not for a career
RETAIL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON4 January 2018
Retail world is a very different place.

No security and loyalty.

Fun atmosphere to work however will not be rich working in retail.

Company is vastly different than years past
Fun and Exciting
Sales Clerk (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 December 2017
This was a completely new experience for myself. I was approached and asked to participate in these commercials by the team manager. I enjoyed this very much and was happy to be a part of these experiences.
n/a
Key Holder/ supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 December 2017
They just do not care about their employees.
unless you sell you dont get hours. If you dont get hours you cant sell. As it is retail the turn over rate is high.
Love it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 October 2017
Love it, great team great company. Too bad it was a pop up shop I’d have loved to work there full time. The money was good and I love working with people.
Fun, Relaxing
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 October 2017
Great place to work with a nice environment and ample opportunity for advancement. Loved the fact that its a skate shop but also includes everybody not just skaters
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
Head office is slower than the government which can be annoying. and now im just filling up space to be honest. i really only have the one problem with them.
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 September 2017
Great place to work, connected with people and yourself. Learn new skills in pros and cons in sales. I wasn't that kind of person until I started working there.
Pros
Connection with myself and learning about myself.
Cons
Not enough hours
Overall a fun workplace but there was little to no training and development
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 September 2017
I got to meet some great people at this job and work in a fun customer service environment, but when it came down to it they threw their staff into the fire with very minimal training and were unwilling to work around their staff's schedules.
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON31 August 2017
it was fun and easy going and got to talk to and help a lot of people and work in an energetic environment with excellent management and other staff members
good experience
Senior Visual Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2017
Overall, Great 5 years at West49!

Life balance is challenging due to the demanding hours. It is based on the needs of the business and sales. Changes often.
Pros
creative expression
Cons
life balance
Fun Job
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB21 August 2017
Fun and laid back people. Store wasn't always super busy so it was like getting paid to fold clothes and hang out with your friends. Miss it tons, it was a great job.
Pros
Interesting coworkers
Cons
Sometimes boring due to slow business
Fun place to work, poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
A workday in West 49 would be very fun, it's a very positive work environment and the people who work there are awesome and friendly. Unfortunately, the management was a complete disaster. The bosses didn't do half of their job description, when we complained the upper management they would take the managers side without hesitation and a proper investigation. Inside the store was always being moved around and was never consistent and the managers took their personal anger on us. I would never work at West 49 again.
Pros
The people there are so easy to get along with
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West 49. Our community is ready to answer.