West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews

I was hired for the store opening, lots of folding and lifting. I was one of the lucky few who lasted longer than most after they opened up. I would organize the store, fix other people's mess, promote sales, fold clothes, deal with loss prevention, all the fun stuff. I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing so I was let go. Hey it's my first retail job. I learned a lot about retail and is grateful to have that highly valued customer service experience. The management are good people, but they do hire a lot of kids. HS kids, college kids, you name it. Maybe I'm also too old for the job? Their products are catered to the younger age group tho, so it was a struggle learning. They really need to diversify their products, get some more brands, and not sell the same thing. It was a bit difficult selling stuff to the older gents who are looking for dressier clothes.
Pros
it pays, customer service experience, meet gorgeous people
Cons
hormone raging kids, same-old skater clothes that gets boring working with
Awesome work environment, lots of travelling around Canada staying in Vancouver setting up 2 store in one week was awesome working very very long hour
Pros
Setting up store
Cons
Long hour but love it
Fast paced but fun work. Always something to do so never boring. Really enjoyed the team there. All very friendly and understanding. Had a personal and professional relationship with almost everyone. Always felt welcome. Was fun helping people out with skateboards and scooters. Customers would get so excited which made helping them more rewarding. Overall a great gig
Pros
Great team, never boring
Worked at a store during college at a new location in a mall. Management of any kind is almost non existent unless of course they're giving you an earful about how sales are down. Working long hours and getting short changed on your paycheque was a fairly regular thing that happened to me and a few other employees and that never got rectified no matter how many times it happened. The management had no respect for other peoples availability always booking me on days I booked off or said I wasn't available, no matter how many times I explained I couldn't work certain days because of school it always fell on deaf ears. This is rather odd considering most of the staff is high school and college students. This was finally fixed but I never once got an apology from my manager, instead just started changing shifts or leaving early so he wouldn't have to talk to me, then finally only giving me one small shift a week that usually got cancelled last minute. When I left I didn't get a thank you from anyone in management, The company is beyond terrible to work for, I can't in any good conciseness recommend working here.
Cons
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
I was only a seasonal employer which meant I was working there for the most part of winter. December to February, 3 months, but it was a great outcome as I gained experience.
West 49 is very easy going, as well as very relaxed. The management team and employees are super nice and very welcoming. Definitely a great place to work, but very few positions and hours per week.
west 49 was a fast and competitive environment. finding cloths and building skateboards for our customers was very rewarding and energizing. management and employees were very kind and respectfull.
Worked here a long time ago and it was owned by billabong. Was a very fun environment great culture and cool people. I cannot speak for it now it may have changed.
I worked there for only a month. But what bothered me was the person who hiried me. I was made promises that apparently were never going to be met. They list benefits on their job discription, guess what! No one gets those. They love to play favorites. They don't communicate anything to people who have manager or key holder positions. The only thing I liked about working there would be the people I worked with.
I loved the freedom to market and design the store. Loved the opportunity to advance. Loved the staff that I got to hire myself. Loved the control and experience I got running a store under the guidelines of a major company. Didnt love the mandatory manager schedule, which was why I eventually left. Working every Friday night and Saturday eliminated my social life. I will forever cherish the overall amazing experience.
It's a great store to shop in. I learned a lot and also workers were so friendly and kind. We all helped each other throughout the day. We had enough time for our break so after the break we were full of motivation to work hard again.
Needs improvement. This company is laid back, but almost to a fault. I became Assistant Manager within a few months of being a key holder, with little to no experience about the job I was taking on.
I worked there for over a year. My biggest problem was with the district manager and the pay. As a keyholder I got paid 10c above minimum wage and sale associates, Could never get a sick day or days off, and Our dm never gave anybody chances or never tried to be reasonable about days off or realized how hard we were working for them. They focused mainly on stock and paperwork and not customer service which gave us lots of angry customers
Honestly, the upper management is fantastic! the loss prevention officers are amazing to work with. the staff on the other hand with an exception of a few are very terrible at customer service and management is FUBAR. after i stepped down from assistant manager, they hired a former employee from a few years back and she gives no credit to her employees and takes it all for herself. she is not a leader but more of a dictator. ,
OK place to work while in university. My store manager was great but upper management seemed to not know what the were doing. after YM Management bought them out the product went way downhill.
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.
Was really fun to work there as a first real job where you get used to the workflow and have fun helping customers find the products they want. Sadly the closed the location where i worked
Pros
good first real job
Cons
long term sucks
West 49 was a good workplace. A great place to learn the ropes of retail. Management is pretty reasonable. Most enjoyable part was the clientele and working with skateboards.
Fun, productive work environment. Relaxing with excellent co-workers and management
A typical day included breaking safety rules to get tasks done. Having to work completely alone in a large store wasn't uncommon. Upper management would give a task and have a completely different one an hour later emailed out.
Pros
Sales associates still bring the job culture
Cons
The company doesn't though
  1. Employee reviews