West 49

West 49 Employee Reviews

Canada137 reviews
Great experience
I was only a seasonal employer which meant I was working there for the most part of winter. December to February, 3 months, but it was a great outcome as I gained experience.
One of the worst jobs I've ever had! (Peterborough, ON)
Not sure if this is applicable to all West 49s, but I came to West 49 Peterborough after leaving an abusive work environment, so I was desperate for any other job and ignored red flags. I worked there for 8 months. I was hired even though I know nothing about skateboarding, and was not provided any training whatsoever with regards to building skateboards, which brands to recommend, etc. I felt completely in the dark whenever a customer asked me my opinion about boarding. This sucked because I wanted to learn, but it is probably because West 49 is NOT A SKATE SHOP, but rather a CHILDREN'S CLOTHING STORE so no one else knows how to make boards! And you have to deal with lots of snotty privileged kids. The management is the worst, there's rampant favouritism. I was finally consistently getting 20+ hours per week, I left to have surgery and when I returned (weeks after our mutually agreed upon return date, might I add) I was lucky to get 5 hours per week. My manager was well aware of the fact that I am a self-supporting student and am unable to feed myself or drive myself to work on that amount of money. I lost a concerning amount of weight from the combined stress of the work environment and lack of income resulting in an inability to afford proper food. They cancel your shifts with a few hours notice (happened to me with my very last shift!), OR CHANGE YOUR SHIFTS AFTER RELEASING THE WEEKLY SCHEDULE AND THEN BLAME YOU FOR NOT KNOWING WHEN YOU'RE WORKING. The manager would watch Netflix on her phone at the cash register or in the back room while you're working, and she was also - more...
Awful pay, awful upper management
I worked for west 49 for almost 3 years and met a lot of great people. The co-workers are definitely the only plus to working here. it was the complete disregard for anyone in a key holder/team management position that forced me to leave. You can expect the Area manager to play favourite’s and overlook hard work unless it directly benefits him. Also expect your hours to get cut drastically if you can’t pick up one shift that you’re not scheduled for. There’s absolutely no incentive to work hard since they rarely promote from within and refuse to recognize great work ethic from anyone other than upper management. I had personally asked the Area manager multiple times if there was any way for me to improve my work ethic and possibly earn more hours or responsibility, yet I never got any real feedback (ex. Nope you’re fine). There’s clearly no interest in their employees welfare or desire to move up on the company. favouritism with hours has gotten so bad Employees are switching/giving away shifts amongst themselves to try and even out the hour distribution to prevent feuds. If you care at all about your mental well being, do NOT expect to do well here. You will almost guaranteed leave with same position you were hired in as. Moving up is not an option unfortunately. Also don’t work here if you have bills or rent, hours are so fickle and the slightest mistake could have your hours cut in half since mistakes are immediately reflected on the schedule and not communicated at all.
Causal and Easy Going
West 49 is very easy going, as well as very relaxed. The management team and employees are super nice and very welcoming. Definitely a great place to work, but very few positions and hours per week.
productive and fun
west 49 was a fast and competitive environment. finding cloths and building skateboards for our customers was very rewarding and energizing. management and employees were very kind and respectfull.
Fun work place
Worked here a long time ago and it was owned by billabong. Was a very fun environment great culture and cool people. I cannot speak for it now it may have changed.
Worst hiring manager ever
I worked there for only a month. But what bothered me was the person who hiried me. I was made promises that apparently were never going to be met. They list benefits on their job discription, guess what! No one gets those. They love to play favorites. They don't communicate anything to people who have manager or key holder positions. The only thing I liked about working there would be the people I worked with.
Cherished time working for West
I loved the freedom to market and design the store. Loved the opportunity to advance. Loved the staff that I got to hire myself. Loved the control and experience I got running a store under the guidelines of a major company. Didnt love the mandatory manager schedule, which was why I eventually left. Working every Friday night and Saturday eliminated my social life. I will forever cherish the overall amazing experience.
Greak teamwork
It's a great store to shop in. I learned a lot and also workers were so friendly and kind. We all helped each other throughout the day. We had enough time for our break so after the break we were full of motivation to work hard again.
West 49
Needs improvement. This company is laid back, but almost to a fault. I became Assistant Manager within a few months of being a key holder, with little to no experience about the job I was taking on.
Stressful
I worked there for over a year. My biggest problem was with the district manager and the pay. As a keyholder I got paid 10c above minimum wage and sale associates, Could never get a sick day or days off, and Our dm never gave anybody chances or never tried to be reasonable about days off or realized how hard we were working for them. They focused mainly on stock and paperwork and not customer service which gave us lots of angry customers
fast paced, slow at times or so busy its hard to keep up
Honestly, the upper management is fantastic! the loss prevention officers are amazing to work with. the staff on the other hand with an exception of a few are very terrible at customer service and management is FUBAR. after i stepped down from assistant manager, they hired a former employee from a few years back and she gives no credit to her employees and takes it all for herself. she is not a leader but more of a dictator. ,
fun but they underpay employees.
OK place to work while in university. My store manager was great but upper management seemed to not know what the were doing. after YM Management bought them out the product went way downhill.
Great co-workers, bad regional management.
I worked at West 49 for about a year and a half and managed to make excellent, ongoing friendships with a lot of my co-workers. The job itself is very laid back and quite fun if you enjoy handling merchandise and connecting with customers. The issue lies in the upper management. If you're a part time sales associate you wont have any issues but when you get to become a key holder/ASM/Manager you start to despise the higher ups. After being given the key holder position early into my job (promotion within) which may I add, does not pay you nearly enough for a supervisor position, my DM never gave me any opportunity to grow even after asking him multiple times for a chance. He always shunned our store and glorified the store at Polo Park because that's the store he came from and would never take the fall for any of his bad work, but would shove his name into anything we were being praised for. You'll love working with the people you work with, but become quickly frustrated with the lack of communication and the all around bad management styles by higher up authority.
Great place for a city job
Was really fun to work there as a first real job where you get used to the workflow and have fun helping customers find the products they want. Sadly the closed the location where i worked
Pros
good first real job
Cons
long term sucks
good experience
West 49 was a good workplace. A great place to learn the ropes of retail. Management is pretty reasonable. Most enjoyable part was the clientele and working with skateboards.
Fun workplace
Fun, productive work environment. Relaxing with excellent co-workers and management
Tasks to be done whether or not there's customers
A typical day included breaking safety rules to get tasks done. Having to work completely alone in a large store wasn't uncommon. Upper management would give a task and have a completely different one an hour later emailed out.
Pros
Sales associates still bring the job culture
Cons
The company doesn't though
Not true about passion
The company had too many people pretending that this was their passion when they were there to play the part but were just after a paycheck. The business has been sold to another company that does not even know WEST 49s mission statement.
Really fun workplace
I really loved my co-workers, they were really outgoing and super positive! They taught me how to greet customers, fold the clothing properly and many more! The management was well taken care of from my supervisor and honestly, the hardest part of the job was when I had to get used to the daily routines in my first few days at West 49.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Getting used to the different routines
Fun and friendly work environment.
A great place for skateboarding culture but has deminished over the years after being sold and bought out by several companies. The soul of the shop that was found in the products they carried disappeared when knock off brands that were introduced.
Pros
Fun like minded coworkers.
Cons
No good initiative program. Discount sucked.