West-Can Seal Coating Employee Reviews

Hired...then told them I had to give 2 weeks notice at current job.
Class 1 Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Didsbury6 May 2019
Got hired....was told all about job over phone. Told when orientation was and told them it was all good. Let them know I needed to give 2 weeks notice at current job and they dropped me. Warning....any company not willing to allow you to give 2 weeks notice is not a company you want to work for. If they cant respect that.....then they won't respect you.
Pros
They hire anyone
Cons
They respect no one
Be prepared
Professional Class 1 AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB17 April 2019
I’ve was with WCS for 4 years, each season worse than the next. No training, or respect, forget orientation, or their policies as it means nothing
I’ve seen the change of 3 HR and safety personnel.
Be warned
Pros
Some great employees
Cons
No respect
Show up ready to work
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, AB4 March 2019
I have worked at West-Can for 7 years now. Started as a flagger then became a labour and moved to equipment operator.

West-Can always encourages people to increase their skills sets and teaches you how to properly do your assigned task. This winter I got my class 3 so I can drive this upcoming season. West-Can supported my efforts to get my class 3.

Overall, its a great place to work, it really is like a second family on the road. I would not recommend this job to someone who does not want to work long hours and be close to home. This job is for people who want to work hard and go on an adventure during the summer, seeing places you wouldn't otherwise see.

I enjoy the team effort everyone working together to get the job done and seeing the final paved road at the end of the day.

The pay is great, but you need to work for it. Nothing is free
Pros
Great Team culture working on a crew, always learning something new, growing company
Cons
Away from home for long period during the summer, know that going into it
Good for young people
Flag Person (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB15 January 2018
good for young people that want to make 20-30k over the summer, amazing people. felt like a 2nd family away from home, long days very tiring and tough
Great starting labour job, great management
Labourer/Operator T.A.S, Flagger (Former Employee) –  Didsbury Home Base20 November 2017
work days consist of hard work and long hours. great place for a student or someone in a pinch to make money over the summer. awesome management and great co workers. problems in the workplace are dealt with efficiently and with great response.
Pros
40 a day living allowance
Cons
long hours, far from home base
good job for being away from home
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB31 October 2017
all in all it is a good company good career opportunities the people were friendly the hours were long making for good pay and if you had the innitiative they were always willing to teach you new things
Long Hours, Great Adventure, Amazing Co-Workers
Lead Hand (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, AB2 May 2017
I've worked with West-Can for nearly 8 years now, the office staff are helpful and the crews have always been great in my experience. Working at WCS is a fast paced environment with lots of hours. If you are looking for a summer vacation, I wouldn't recommend working here or for any seasonal construction company for the matter. If you are looking for an adventure, with lots of hours and are open to working anywhere between Manitoba and B.C , I recommend working here. The owners are friendly and are always willing to work alongside you.
Pros
Staff, wage, good equipment
Cons
Working away from home
it sucked and would only recommend this type of job to a single person
Traffic Control Person (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB4 April 2017
long hours and way too long way from home. no communication on days off and not paid to travel long distances. I spent 4 months in manitoba and had to drive back home for a whopping 2 or 3 days off to drive back 16 to 18 hours back to manitoba
Fun work place
Operator/Traffic (Former Employee) –  every were22 February 2017
over all good company pay is good, having to share your hotel room I will admit is one of the worst things with this company. I got to see lots of places I would have never seen. I got put through my training for three different province's.
Pros
Travel lot's
Cons
Away for long periods of time
Very fun place to work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB1 December 2016
West -can seal coating is a very good company to work with management and office staff were very helpful and very informative clear and concise. They were receptive to any suggestions made to them
Pros
Travel around the provinces
Cons
Being away from my family and friends
Outstanding place to work
Traffic Accommodation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB14 October 2016
This business is a great place to work if you enjoy a facepaced environment with lots of change. The office staff are very friendly, and the owners are very family orientated.
Manager
lots of lifting
daily and weekly ordering
cleaning
stocking
Quick easy money for the strong willed, and hard workers
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB25 March 2016
This is no summer vacation, Long hours, Intensive work, and strenuous on the mind and body. Great reward for those who last.
Pros
Gatorade, and cookies when the going gets tough.
Cons
Just Be prepared.
Used and abused
Road Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB17 March 2016
Do not work here unless you're sinking in debt. They are unwilling to train you, you either pick it up or get pushed out quickly. They don't give you adequate time to get food, you work 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week, only having time off when it's raining. If you don't have time to go buy food, then you go without. There were multiple times that water wasn't even available. If you are a hard worker, you are not rewarded, you are pushed harder to make up for the others. If you have your class 1, you do nothing, but class 3, you are treated like a laborer. Do not work here unless you are absolutely desperate, you will regret it
Pros
Pay
Cons
everything else
only thing worth it is the amazing coworkers
Traffic Control Person (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB22 September 2015
The people you work with are amazing but management is useless, company will fail soon due to unsafe work practices and poor management
Pros
coworkers
Cons
eveerything else
Every Day is an Adventure
Foreman, Operator (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, AB17 September 2015
For those who enjoy a fast paced, and evolving schedule and are willing to work and put in the hours. If you like learning as you go and flexibility. If you don't mind being a mushroom.
Pros
Travelling
Cons
Lack of Scheduled Time Off
A great job for anyone who loves long hours and hard work.
Traffic Control Supervisor/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, AB28 October 2013
- Supervise flagging staff
- Set up construction zone to avoid any mishaps
- Record hours, incidents, sign locations, and FLHA

I have learned independence and patience.
The hardest part of the job is day 44 in a row working 14-16 hour days in the grueling sun.
The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I was serving a huge purpose to the company and knowing without myself, and other flaggers, production could not occur.
Pros
Accomodations Paid
Cons
No days off unless it rains