WESLEY URBAN MINISTRIES Employee Reviews

Toxic
Client Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Wesley Urban Ministries16 January 2018
This company provides a very mentally and emotionally toxic environment. In reading all the reviews, they are accurately written. Applicants beware when considering Wesley in your career choices.
Pros
Great co-workers/clients
Cons
Toxic work environment
Fun work place
Outreach Worker summer program (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 December 2017
I enjoyed that they canected with lots of coulchers and religions so everyone could enjoy all of our activities and groups. the management was amazing carry understanding of people with children
Applicant Beware
Client Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 December 2017
Once potentially a good organization to work for, I have noticed a steady decline in the enjoyment of working for Wesley and the care for their clients.

Obvious favouritism of certain programs over others by Executive Director. Feels like clients are seen more as money sources than people in need; money seems more important than the quality of care. Mission and values of the organization seem to be a joke and words on the wall rather than the principles guiding their services. Pay is on the lower end of other agencies in Hamilton and surrounding area. Agency could do better in terms of building staff morale and staff appreciation.

Frequent turnover of management and front-line staff due to an oppressive and toxic work culture. Management has created a punitive, fear-based environment which keeps front-line staff second-guessing themselves, their skills, and their abilities. Management acts like helicopter parent and seems to not trust their teams’ decisions and micro-manage their day making it difficult to do the job.

Expectations of the front-line staff are unreasonably high, and expectations seem to change more frequently than front-line staff can keep up with. Not uncommon for front-line staff to be yelled at in front of clients and other front-line staff by supervisors and/or management. I have never seen such defeated front-line staff; stress leave for front-line staff happening more frequently than I have ever seen- often 2-weeks, sometimes indefinite leaves. Breaks are a luxury not always given, and I have worked 8 and 12-hour shifts without breaks.

Front-line
  more... staff and clients are the only positive things about Wesley at this time. Front-line staff, while defeated, are a cohesive and supportive team of people who have each other’s back. I appreciate the experience and skills I have picked up from my fellow front-liners and the opportunity to help some amazing clients.

Hopefully in the future, for the clients and front-line workers' sake, Wesley can get its act together. As of right now, I would not wish a position at Wesley on my worst enemy. I have no plans of applying for positions elsewhere within the agency, as most of the above-mentioned problems appear to be agency-wide, and not just within the program I am leaving.

I do not recommend working for Wesley at this time, if ever.
Pros
clients, front-line staff
Cons
toxic work culture, management, stressful work environment
One of the most for profit non profits in town
Client Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 November 2017
Management is constantly changing and they are very unsupportive of the front line staff. Very common for staff to take stress leaves due to the culture, and are often fired shortly afterwards, if not picked on.

There are some really stellar service users and front liners but unfortunately the upper management make working here very heart breaking.

I don't recommend working here. Everybody for-profit has its problems but this place is too far gone. The ED is very oppressive.
Not a nice place to work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 October 2017
upper management is not doing a good job. The ED does not care about staff. There are people doing jobs that they shouldn’t be. No one gets treated right and everyone sees it. People are scared to come forward with anything because they know if will never change. All the good staff are leaving and finding better jobs.
Pros
Front line staff
Cons
Low pay, treated poorly
Different kind of environment
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 August 2017
Great team of people to work with and experience in this field is defiantly worth while. Some parts of the job were not in my field of work however gave good pace to the job. Management changed a lot which made many areas of this job difficult.
Pros
great people, good environment
Cons
Turn over of management frequently
Glad to move on
Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 June 2017
This is an intense and fast paced working environment with little to no support from Senior Management. They will question and criticize your every move and make decisions that are way beyond their scope of practice. They have high and unrealistic expectations of their staff. There have been instances where staff have been told by upper management that their positions could no longer be funded for full-time hours and then all of a sudden after resigning, they had somehow found money in the budget to fund full-time hours for their replacement. The front-line staff and the clients that are served are the only positive aspects of working for this organization.
Pros
Working with amazing front line staff and clients
Cons
Leadership team, Senior Management
Upper Management was not helpful
Health Services (Former Employee) –  Other19 June 2017
The pay was terrible worked there for 5+ years and never got more than 10 cents.

Union was not helpful.

Management was not helpful. Like other reviews, they were disorganized, deceitful, and disrespectful. Management was not open to listening to staff suggestions, it was their way or no way. Management does not care for the staff.

The only thing that made work great was the staff. They were all very helpful, made for a great work environment.
Fast paced
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 June 2017
Great experience for learning new things daily as there are constant changes taking place. The work is rewarding as the agency serves the most vulnerable people in the community.
fun place to work on your own.
Janitor/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hamikton13 May 2017
its a fun place to work with friendly co workers that care about one another. trying to make a difference as a team everyone is doing their part. I like attending the bbq and fundraisers they have for case for kids.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 March 2017
This is a great place to work you do have to deal with some drama and inter office politics but the benefits are great and the salary is decent enjoyed this place quite a bit
They prey on newcomers and vulnerable individuals
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 October 2016
These people have no ethics or a vision for a better community. It is like a for profit business and that is not right considering it is a non profit. they make their clients lives very hard and offer very limited help although the budget they get is from the government. their workers are always under stress and pressure. Most importantly their agenda is questionable.
Pros
you get to help people in need
Cons
scheduling sucks, Hyporcritical strict policies (only on clients and workers), unorganized and careless management
Senior Management is hypocritical and deceitful
Health and Wellness Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2016
Clients were tremendous and I thoroughly enjoyed working with Newcomers to Canada. Unfortunately, the majority of management was incompetent, disorganized and punitive.
A culture of fear, neglect and disrespect was in evidence and as the Mental Health Worker I witnessed staff as well as clients being treated in a callous manner continually.
There appears to be little thought or reasoning by decision makers and it shows in the quality of service provided.
Please be advised: do not work here or contribute funds.
Three employees crying in the bathroom in one morning due to stress from inadequate support - that about says it all.
Pros
Great clients, supportive co-workers
Cons
Senior management
Organized and efficient volunteer work
Knapsack Drive Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2016
There were a lot of volunteers all working together and staying well organized with only one supervisor. We got the job done earlier and faster than expected.
Laid-Back Work Environment/Team-Work
Junior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2016
I enjoy working in Wesley and I feel very fufilled knowing that I am part of a team that makes a difference in people's lives. The staffs are very nice and friendly
Great people and fun moments
Chef In Training (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 February 2016
I like the staff. they are nice and supportive and very fun to talk to. I enjoy each minute i spend here, not bored by the activities when i am enjoying it with everyone else
Productive and fun workplace with different cultural activities.
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2016
Usually a typical day of my job was like meeting new people from different cultures. I got an opportunities to learn and discover the real value of diversity in them. The management and scheduling of our office was incredibly great. My co-workers were very generous, helpful, and easygoing. The hardest part of the job was due to weather changes and sickness that I faced during my duty hour. Overall, working at this institution was super entertaining when we have to spend most of our time with different background of people.
Pros
Free lunches, Vacation pay, Free transportation.
Cons
Long hours, Managing & organizing clients' documents, appointments etc.
Can't get there act together
Other (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 November 2015
This company can't get there act together and the mangers need to start being friendlier to their employees, $$ needs to be HIGHER , the union needs to start addressing this because this is disgusting, don't work for them plus they don't cover our downtown parking expenses
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Bad pay, bad location and management
its a really good place to get the experiences
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2015
i review like and enjoy working in this company because the staffs and the management are very nice. They have a really good security system
a typical day at work
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 February 2014
Developing the HR plans and policies in conjunction with the company’s overall development plan.
Created and developed Health and Safety Inspection Checklist Sheets for department managers and the Joint Health and Safety Committee members.
Assisted in updating and maintaining the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) database for all departments.
Record and prepare minutes of meetings.
Researching and giving feedback on projects involving creed-law: Employments Standard Acts 2000, harassment at workplace: Human rights Code
Answered telephonic and electronic inquiries