Wescast Industries Inc Employee Reviews

Some good people, terribly managed
Foundry (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON21 November 2018
Management might as well live in another country for all they know of the floor. Safety and quality are severly lacking in favour of numbers. Maintenance has no downtime to repair or pm, but for the times machines crash do to lack thereof. Promotions are a popularity contest work days if you want a role on any shift.
Pros
Pay decent, a few good people hiding in the mix
Cons
Risk, lack of opportunity, poor management
It’s like a game of survivor - outwit, outplay and outlast
Finance (Former Employee) –  Wingham, ON18 November 2018
Fair wages and good benefits. However, no opportunities for growth, poor management and poor leadership make it a very stressful and unfulfilling place to work. Hard work and good ideas are not appreciated, and don’t get fooled by false promises. Currently, there is a revolving door with employees constantly coming and going. Overall, there is not a cohesive company culture, there is a lack of transparency, and no apparent willingness to grow and improve.
I do hope that the company can overcome current hardships and once again become a leader in the automotive industry
Declining work quality
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wingham, ON3 November 2018
Was a good place to work but with foreign ownership has quickly taken its toll. Be careful working here. Not a good team environment to work in. Good luck
Pros
Good people tt work with on the floor
Cons
Poor upper leadership
good place to work
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Wingham, ON27 April 2018
I enjoyed my time working at wescast in wingham. I only left because of the commute. the pay was good but the people I worked with was the main benefit
Pros
great place to work
Cons
long drive
Wescast
Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 March 2018
Wescast had its day but now that day has pasted. They and a declining company that is cutting costs and moving jobs to China. This is not a company that will allow you to grow.
Employee Friendly Environment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON16 November 2017
100+yr old company. Located @ various locations in southwest Ontario and Michigan. Manufacturing/Machining capabilities cross boarder. Consistently provide good parts to big 3 in Detroit
Was a very good company.
Cad Designer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON16 October 2017
Wescast was a very good company to work for with lots of opportunities and good compensation. I worked in the design department, for the most part it was a challenging but rewarding job. I learned alot about the the process and the products we made and and do not regret working there. Unfortunately new ownership and management at the top has led to a steady decline in the companies fortunes and the job culture is not what it used to be.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
layoffs, declining opportunities
Very new process with limited customer base
Environmental Health and Safety Leader (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON2 September 2016
A typical day included well run operations meetings first thing every day and then a walk through of the facility by myself noting any situations that required attention. Enjoyable workforce I had worked with a number of personnel at another workplace before it had shutdown. I didn't interact with many managers as most others were mostly busy with their own situations. Our main contact was the morning operations meetings. The position was very much an entry level position and did not fit my experience level whatsoever.
I was able to mentor 2 practicum students from the University of Western Ontario H&S diploma program. They were my 4th and 5th students who have gone on to good solid careers.
Pros
Cons
I was over qualified
Good people to work with
Industrial Mechanic Millwright (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON23 October 2014
Great company at the beginning, pay and benefits were good later years management and attitudes changed, less enjoyable atmosphere to work in
Pros
People, pay
Cons
management poor / Closed plant