Well.ca Employee Reviews

Stressful! Riddled with drama! No support from HR/Management/Ceos
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON27 March 2019
Terrible work culture and environment!

Definately an environment of sink or swim.
Training was never sufficient enough to complete a job and when not completed correctly fingers pointed and made fun of by staff and management.

EXTREME politics!!! All about relationships and not about work performance and team building.

Very high employee turn over rate, LOW PAY, HORRIBLE BENEFITS!

Extreme bullying, no consequence.

Always by passing labour laws.

Employees always feel threatened and not relaxed.

Managers walk around like wardens, yelling and pointing out issues in front of the teams.

Senior Team Leads are extremely mean and unsupportive, only 2 that I liked and 1 of them were fired.

Good staff/management are always are fired, lazy and rude ones kept.

Company provides bad training and no developement support for anyone.

Favoritism through out the whole company.

Soul crushing, mentally/physically draining job.

NO APPRECIATION.

Management talks about safety but does not follow it, unsafe work environment.

DIRTY DISGUSTING BUILDING, rodents all over warehouse.

DO NOT WORK HERE.

Devoted unappreciated X-employee.
Pros
Cons
Horrible company
Fun workplace
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 March 2019
- Very friendly people, friendly team leads.
- Good with vacation time.
- Feel very welcomed by everyone one you begin.
- Safe working environment.
- Workers safety is #1 priority.
Avoid!
Customer Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 February 2019
This Company seems too "good to be true" at the beginning, however, it is quite a toxic place once they have you settled in! The company doesn't care about you unless you are aiming for their daily goal numbers which always seem ridiculously high in the first place. Team leads are extremely rude, some of the people under the team leads are also super rude and unapproachable and there is a lot of favouritism that goes on. Fellow associates can be quite rude as well however there are some very nice people who work there. HR is an absolute joke - don't voice your concerns or problems because nothing effective will be done about it. Also, these " recognition awards" they share with you in orientation are also a joke and if you aren't one of the team lead's favourites don't expect to get anything even though you worked just as hard or even harder. In the beginning, they provided a lot of free lunches, swag etc, however, that was probably the only good thing about this job as it was (and only really occurred) around Xmas. The only other good thing is like others have said below - when you take time off they don't question you. The CEO comes into the warehouse and seems super nice as she walks around and interacts with people, however, I think she is just unaware of how the team leads and the overall hostile environment is when she isn't around - I really hope she looks at this and all the other negative comments posted about this company that are of the same relevance as this post because something should be done about it because this company has the potential to be good!
Pros
the Very RARE occasion of provided lunches, Discount on products
Cons
Rude Team Leads, Horrible HR, Lack of advancement, Lack of recognition
Avoid it if you can
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 January 2019
Lots of favouritism. Hard to get to by transit so you waste money on Uber and taxi. No raises. Some senior and regular team leads are horrible. Upper management has zero clue about how to run things. Can't rely on HR or trust them much. Very high turnover rate. Benefits are nothing special. ADP system sucks for a smaller company like this. The warehouse expanded but the hourly target stayed the same with now much more walking. Lunches aren't paid and time and a half is after 44 hours.

As for the good stuff. Lots of time off without question. As long as you hit your numbers most of the time you can get away with a bit of socializing. Some shifts change up the music once in a while so it's not too boring. Fruit provided once in a while and some free lunches (mostly pizza). Do get well.ca shirts hats bottles etc. If you land a good team then this job isn't half bad. Land a bad team with a bossy team lead and you'll regret coming here.
fun and learn
Packer (Current Employee) –  Southgate, ON23 December 2018
it was great experience to work with those guys the management is good and work environment is owsom it's great experience of my life to work with well.ca.
Pros
some time free meal
Don't bother.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 November 2018
Employee turnover rate is astoundingly high. I have never seen anything like it, and I've worked a lot of jobs. You can never really get to know any of your co-workers because they're usually gone in two weeks.

Management is a nightmare. A reviewer stated that employee's are given free reign, but it's actually the higher-ups that are allowed to run amok. They're not enforced by anyone, so they take breaks, chat, and saunter around at their own leisure.

CEO often came in to speak to us, and, as far as I'm concerned, she's completely delusional about the issues plaguing the company and the Warehouse. Legitimate issues that were brought up by the employees were met with "Well, this place might not be for you".

Degrading, condescending "Team leads" who patrol the warehouse to curb talking among employees, making the environment really tense and strained. On many occasions, they'd "separate" work colleagues who are prone to talking, in order to increase productivity. It felt like I was back in Elementary school.
Has potential but lacks the vision
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 October 2018
Working at well.ca was a very interesting experience. It has the potential to be a major player in the e-commerce industry.

The employees get to do basically whatever they want in regards to sick days,going home early and their actual production numbers and when management tries to correct the issue HR does not have their back and is more worried about turn over and their numbers than the actual production teams ability to the customers.

3 out of the 4 Sr. Team leads are worth keeping the 4th is very fake happy all the time and causes unnecessary drama and an unhealthy work environment. I was told after the interview that they are aware of the situation but wanted me to find out on my own. When I tried to fix the problem after being told I could let them go they changed their mind and didnt back me.

I was told not the build the engagement with the employees but only my 4 supervisors which to me is not a step in the direction you want for a transparent trusting relationship.

In the end it has potential but is standing in it's own way of more success and the CEO needs to step in and make the corrections.

The culture is basically every person for themselves and not team.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of structure
Good company
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 August 2018
There were too many managers and assistant managers not doing much themselves, but telling you to do more. They used to give free lunches and employee incentive events such as employee sales days and things like that more often, but it got less and less as time went on, but the company was growing so it was only inevitable.
They have these meetings where they gather all the warehouse staff to fire them up but it was too frequent and not very effective. They just cut into times that I could have worked instead, to get my numbers up, and with just words of "thanks" and applause, it doesn't really fire me up.
But all in all the company itself was better than most I've worked for. The CEO's and the head manager actually walked around the warehouse and didn't lord over us like most higher ups do.
Company does not care about the employees
warehouse (Current Employee) –  guelph11 March 2018
This company only cares about profit and sets ridiculously high picking and packing numbers for their employees to deal with. People are hired and fired like crazy and every single part timer and temp has no job security. When they have zero hours to give for their part timers, they post ads online saying they are looking for more people to hire despite not having the work for their current employees. Their warehouse has grown with several new skid areas, it has expanded so much in the past few years but they still want people to keep hitting the same numbers despite that. They set high numbers so people are encouraged to pick and pack only small orders because they`re easier, then neglect the larger orders and don`t take into account the people who actually pack and pick these larger items which are more tedious. The company fires good workers, a lot of people I know were fired for stupid reasons and a lot of part time people I know are given no hours for weeks on end. This company does have its perks and good merchandise, but I feel like there is extreme disorganization in the warehouse. Hard workers are given no recognition while people who always slack off are recognized because they`re friends with managers. Basically people are hired and fired like crazy and it really leaves the people who work here with a bad impression of the company and leaves people feeling the company does not care. You can`t force employees to care about business when you promote a work environment that has little empathy towards your workers.
Pros
nice people, clean warehouse
Cons
management, work conditions
Productive workplace with very nice people
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 February 2018
When I first started working at this company, I didnt like it very much, but as i got into it more, aside from people complaining about a variety of silly things, it was a very warm and happy atmosphere to work in.
Pros
Decent wage for young people
Cons
You get tired rather quickly from being on
Productive and fun working place
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 December 2017
The workplace was always stimulating with great coworkers and team players.Management were very adaptive to any of your concerns. Enjoyed working with everyone at Well.ca.
Fun and Energetic
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 December 2017
Good company. The work pace is a little slow for me. Basically, a typical day includes filling and packing orders in the warehouse. Workplace culture is very upbeat and happy.
Some Good Things, Some Horrible
Warehouse Staff (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON26 October 2017
If you work in the warehouse you'll have to listen to loud, horrible music all day. It pleases the people there that like country, pop, rap, hip-hop but annoys/angers the people who don't like that kind of music. It's obvious that some of the Team Leaders are hired without any experience or training in how to supervise people. My Team Leader lied to me often and some people got away with really bad things while others did minor things wrong and got reprimanded severely. They don't use regular warehouse RF scanners but iPad type tablets and it's a horrible system. Many employees, especially new ones, get very frustrated with it.
Pros
Very busy place so there is job security
Cons
Loud horrible music. Some Team Leaders are terrible.
Lots of rom for opportunity and growth
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON28 August 2017
I enjoy working with Well.ca. They have given me lots of opportunity to learn and grow with them. The team is like a family and pulls together to make the company successful.
Great Team-Oriented Environment
Shipping/Logistics/Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 August 2017
Well.ca is a great company with a positive goal and believes in internal cooperation.
It began as a fun, inclusive place to work where you felt genuinely appreciated and enjoyed spending time with your coworkers. Hopefully it still remains the same way.
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment at Well.ca and would recommend anybody apply if they're interested.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Fun People, Provide Positive Service
Perfect summer job for students
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 July 2017
If your looking for a career in a company where you can grow then this is not the place for you unless your friends with management. There is zero Integrity or Respect for the warehouse workers from the office staff. The turn over is extremely high, Warehouse Team Leads starting at the seniors are appalling and should not be team leads. Toxic Management, favoritism to friends. It's a definitely who you know not what you know kind of company. Low pay. Hallelujah for minimum wage increase in January 2018 Average pay at Well.ca is $13.00/hr and pay increases go by the cents starting as low as .10 cents. Easy job, pick, pack, ship, Great for students! Not for families in need to earn a proper living.
Pros
Cons
many
very toxic enviroment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 June 2017
poor management.
Management is absolutely horrible.
Lots of favouritism
You are not allowed to talk to your co-workers without getting in trouble, even if it's work related.
Company hires and fires people like crazy.
Tons of drama.
Extremely disorganized.
Pros
free stuff from time to time
Cons
poor management
great job while you are in school
SENIOR WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 March 2017
great job while you are in school. flexible scheduling and shifts. management is great. approachable CEO, friendly office staff. great team enviroment , customer service is number 1
Pros
easy
Cons
repetitive
unhealthy work environment
Sales Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2017
Extremely poor communication between the store & head office, making this company very shady. Incredibly disorganized. Would most definitely not recommend to anyone.
Outstanding place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 September 2016
I've been with the company over 5 years. Empowering place of work with great company values.

We are encouraged to continuously innovate and find ways to reach our full potential.
Pros
Great co-workers