Weir Group

Weir Group Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
Nothing to write home about!
This organization does not support minorities. The HR manager is stuck up very unapproachable.
If you try to be honest in your dealings with the managers and report waste spending your given the out. Senior directors does not take feedback well. It's their way or the highway.

Worst company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Bad bonuses
Wierd indeed
By far the wierdest work experience at Wier: wide array of responsibilities and no proper guidance. Some people are nice, but the rest...
Good benefits.
Hired, and promised so many things.
Management sucks, no training just sits in his office on his phone. Had a well blow out almost died. Company didn’t care. Safety is not a concern.
Plenty of work, Not good for employee supprt
They are more concerned about customer satisfaction with out taking into account the reasons for that customer dis-satisfaction.
Plenty of work, very low on training and vacation time.

Salary levels are also low with no real knowledge of real world levels.

No employee support, unless it is to make the customer satisfied in difficult work situations.

Good for starting out but unless you are a consultant and a senior personnel, not so good.
Horrible experience
This company treats you terribly. The safety protocols are inadequate and there is a lot of exposure to toxic chemicals. The management team I found difficult to work with and the co workers were sabotaging and petty.
good company to work for
worked various mechanical machines In the manufacturing Industry, started 7-30 worked minimum of 8 hours, the enjoyable part was getting a finished product to the customer as they required, the workplace culture was the customer first and do the best job possible, I was employed there 34 years and was satisfied with the working conditions and salary and benefits, the hardest part of the job at times was meeting deadlines
Pros
excellent pension plan and benifits
Cons
sometimes long hours
Proactive and productive working environment
Weir has some of the most qualified and bright individuals in the industry. It was a pleasure working with them as well as the president of the oil and gas division.
Good Company
I was really happy working at Weir with both management and team members. I learnt a lot and grew both personally and professionally.
Worked with some very brilliant staff
Pros
Great team members
Interesting place to work
Great pay.
Great hours.

0 room for growth.

Inadequate training for someone entering in to a new position in a new field.

Direct manager was my reason for leaving the company.
Pros
Good hours, great pay
Cons
Bad Management, lack of training
The worst experience of my life! Destructive for my personal health.
Stay away from this company! If you want to fast track your career destruction, Wier is the place to go! There is no work life balance, Canada always bends over for the US team, a lot of micro management, projects are out of control, no systems in place, expect one person to fix everything. This company needs a serious reset button. A complete overhaul is required. Sales people make sales without considering any impact on business, never any follow up, payables is never paying on time, vendors are angry, teams are highly dysfunctional. Stay away!
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else!
a few awesome co-workers
don't even apply...the place is run by totally incompetent people... nepotism runs high, and those hired because they know someone don't have to do anything, but get the same wage as everybody else.. new hire orientation was a joke as is the in-house forklift training 2 workers were certified with less than 10 minutes on a forklift. ( and they had never been on a forklift before) Safety program is there run by some guy that is never even there, and to make it worse we he is there, he doesn't even understand the paperwork he makes employees sign. and does not understand safety in general
lots of promises from management but nothing happens,
benefits
Cons
low pay long hours, and will always try to take your overtime and switch it to reg. hours
Very good company to work for if you get a chance
I worked in there coating department before the fall of oil and before they became seaboard. It was by far the best company I've ever worked for. Great pay, your safety actually matters. Great benefits and the overall atmosphere of the shop was enjoyable. It's to date the only place I've worked where you are encouraged to grab new ppe when ever you need it. Being of minority status, and working here I never encountered any type of profiling and or negative treatment.
Great place to work. Wish they still had a spray dept.
Pros
Great pay especially overtime pay
One of the worst
Five years, and it was all downhill from a good start. In the name of 'safety', their obsession above all else, they treat their employees like children, and make it nearly impossible to do your job. Fire or lay off their best staff, in favor of foreign workers, no matter how poor their work habits.
Pros
Sometimes there is night shift; when management is not there to interfere, things run smoothly.
Cons
Clueless management, obsession with useless 'safety' rules, to the detriment of the job. Poor treatment by supervisor.
Ok work experience
Good work experience. Not enough room for advancement.

Very low work volume, slow paced. Hard to keep busy.

Nice people for future connections. Location was ok.
Decent place to work but not very stable.
Great people at WEIR. The company spends money to ensure health and safety and proper Information technology. The last few years has been very unstable at WEIR, with countless layoffs, and frozen budgets. Management changes are frequent, and overall morale extremely low. Overall, a nice place to work during positive financial growth, but terrible the past few years with no shining light any time soon.
Pros
Decent hours, good friendly staff, competitive salary
Cons
Frequent layoffs, low morale, poor management/management turn over
Terrible and unstable organization to work for.
The people at Weir are all very nice. The working environment is very good when things are going well. Every company has ups and downs depending on the market, however, in the 6 years that I have been with Weir, they've had about 6 waves of layoffs, and overall, it's the most unstable place that I've worked. The morale in this company is lower than anywhere I've been. The Management team have no clue what they're doing and have literally driven this 100 year old company into the ground. I'm happy to be gone, and now working for a more stable organization. Don't waste your time applying for a job here.
Pros
Very friendly staff. Work hours are reasonable. Salary is competitive.
Cons
Unstable/ Constant layoffs. Terrible management/ backstabbing. No loyalty to staff. There one day, gone the next.
Great job to start in oilfield
It's a fairly easy job there's lot of hours if you'd like to work a lot and there's heavy lifting so they train you on over head cranes to help move pipes and there are fork lift drivers also
Unethical, socially fragmented, and boring workplace
I was hired as a temporary financial analyst, until the management finds a permanent recruit, I worked for a month and have seen wonders.

Management has very poor leadership skills, with socially and task-related isolating policies towards certain individuals. E.g. being extremely friendly to a newly hired employee, with daily training, while completely neglecting another, who was also a recent hire, and not providing even basic skills on how to maneuver the system.

They have high employee turnover in management.

I was told a guy was sent home for walking over the grass while coming from his car from the parking lot.

I was contacted by a Sr. Finance Manager inquiring about how to do simple edits in the company M3 Lawson ERP system. I did give the steps on how to do it, but I was shocked by the management level of ignorance; the inquiry was kinda sorta ABC thing in the finance department and the guy had been there for 5 months and didn't even know this!

I was paid hourly, yet the management didn’t like me staying after hours, as if I was staying there to play.

Over all, very WEIRD place. It’s named WEIR Canada
Pros
Occasional dinners when staying late
Cons
Jungle order
People are nice. Management of the company is poor.
This company only focus on their books and they make all their effort to make sure that the book looks good at year end. They do not care about employee and the HR department is just a joke.
If you are good at brown nosing the boss or the boss's boss, you are going to get promoted.
Excellent place to worko
Excellent company, engaged management, good working conditions, good benefit package, good locations for transportation modalities, lots of room for advancement and learning.
Pros
Management team, and good teamwork
Weir Canada
The management team is horrible and very unprofessional. They did not care the feedback the staff has to say, they only care about making their bosses happy and putting on a good show for them