Weir Group Employee Reviews

Good Company
Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 September 2018
I was really happy working at Weir with both management and team members. I learnt a lot and grew both personally and professionally.
Worked with some very brilliant staff
Pros
Great team members
Cons
The worst experience of my life! Destructive for my personal health.
Controller (Former Employee) –  Canada30 July 2018
Stay away from this company! If you want to fast track your career destruction, Wier is the place to go! There is no work life balance, Canada always bends over for the US team, a lot of micro management, projects are out of control, no systems in place, expect one person to fix everything. This company needs a serious reset button. A complete overhaul is required. Sales people make sales without considering any impact on business, never any follow up, payables is never paying on time, vendors are angry, teams are highly dysfunctional. Stay away!
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else!
a few awesome co-workers
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  red deer11 February 2018
don't even apply...the place is run by totally incompetent people... nepotism runs high, and those hired because they know someone don't have to do anything, but get the same wage as everybody else.. new hire orientation was a joke as is the in-house forklift training 2 workers were certified with less than 10 minutes on a forklift. ( and they had never been on a forklift before) Safety program is there run by some guy that is never even there, and to make it worse we he is there, he doesn't even understand the paperwork he makes employees sign. and does not understand safety in general
lots of promises from management but nothing happens,
benefits
Cons
low pay long hours, and will always try to take your overtime and switch it to reg. hours
Very good company to work for if you get a chance
Spray welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton ab1 February 2018
I worked in there coating department before the fall of oil and before they became seaboard. It was by far the best company I've ever worked for. Great pay, your safety actually matters. Great benefits and the overall atmosphere of the shop was enjoyable. It's to date the only place I've worked where you are encouraged to grab new ppe when ever you need it. Being of minority status, and working here I never encountered any type of profiling and or negative treatment.
Great place to work. Wish they still had a spray dept.
Pros
Great pay especially overtime pay
One of the worst
Recertification tech (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 January 2018
Five years, and it was all downhill from a good start. In the name of 'safety', their obsession above all else, they treat their employees like children, and make it nearly impossible to do your job. Fire or lay off their best staff, in favor of foreign workers, no matter how poor their work habits.
Pros
Sometimes there is night shift; when management is not there to interfere, things run smoothly.
Cons
Clueless management, obsession with useless 'safety' rules, to the detriment of the job. Poor treatment by supervisor.
Ok work experience
Administration (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB21 November 2017
Good work experience. Not enough room for advancement.

Very low work volume, slow paced. Hard to keep busy.

Nice people for future connections. Location was ok.
Terrible and unstable organization to work for.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON31 October 2017
The people at Weir are all very nice. The working environment is very good when things are going well. Every company has ups and downs depending on the market, however, in the 6 years that I have been with Weir, they've had about 6 waves of layoffs, and overall, it's the most unstable place that I've worked. The morale in this company is lower than anywhere I've been. The Management team have no clue what they're doing and have literally driven this 100 year old company into the ground. I'm happy to be gone, and now working for a more stable organization. Don't waste your time applying for a job here.
Pros
Very friendly staff. Work hours are reasonable. Salary is competitive.
Cons
Unstable/ Constant layoffs. Terrible management/ backstabbing. No loyalty to staff. There one day, gone the next.
Great job to start in oilfield
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Clairmont, AB24 July 2017
It's a fairly easy job there's lot of hours if you'd like to work a lot and there's heavy lifting so they train you on over head cranes to help move pipes and there are fork lift drivers also
Unethical, socially fragmented, and boring workplace
Financial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
I was hired as a temporary financial analyst, until the management finds a permanent recruit, I worked for a month and have seen wonders.

Management has very poor leadership skills, with socially and task-related isolating policies towards certain individuals. E.g. being extremely friendly to a newly hired employee, with daily training, while completely neglecting another, who was also a recent hire, and not providing even basic skills on how to maneuver the system.

They have high employee turnover in management.

I was told a guy was sent home for walking over the grass while coming from his car from the parking lot.

I was contacted by a Sr. Finance Manager inquiring about how to do simple edits in the company M3 Lawson ERP system. I did give the steps on how to do it, but I was shocked by the management level of ignorance; the inquiry was kinda sorta ABC thing in the finance department and the guy had been there for 5 months and didn't even know this!

I was paid hourly, yet the management didn’t like me staying after hours, as if I was staying there to play.

Over all, very WEIRD place. It’s named WEIR Canada
Pros
Occasional dinners when staying late
Cons
Jungle order
Excellent place to worko
Lean Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC31 March 2017
Excellent company, engaged management, good working conditions, good benefit package, good locations for transportation modalities, lots of room for advancement and learning.
Pros
Management team, and good teamwork
Cons

Want to know more about Weir Group?

Ask a question
Weir Canada
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC19 February 2017
The management team is horrible and very unprofessional. They did not care the feedback the staff has to say, they only care about making their bosses happy and putting on a good show for them
Entreprise mal gérée
Ingénieur chargé de projets (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QC28 November 2016
Le management de WEIR est de piètre qualité. Ce sont d'anciens militaires qui gèrent la business comme s'il était dans les forces.
Pros
Travail intéressant
Cons
Culture du secret
Lead Project & Senior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 June 2016
Good place to work and fine balance between work and life.
As a consulting company is new on the market with all disadvantages.
A business currently facing significant challenges
Weir Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2016
Weir is a large multinational corporation that operates in many different countries and industries. My experiences are limited to the Oil and Gas sector in Canada. When oil prices are high, the business thrives and no one worries about too much. Once the prices fell, essentially it was as if the world ended. Communication about what is going on with the company is not the greatest.
Pros
free breakfast once a month, and quarterly free lunch
Cons
still uses a 1970's management style to run the business
Un positionnement enviable dans le marché
Weir Canada, Power & Industrial Division (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2016
Belles opportunités de développement personnel. Une approche de gestion rigoureuse.
always with quality work and meet customer expectations.
Journeyman Machinist (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC27 February 2016
its has been a very good company to work for .safety was always their number 1 priority.Weir always treat their employees with respect and be there for thier training and needs.
All In all a great place to work, an excellent learning experience good benefits helpful co-workers fair management.
SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2016
A typical day at work at Weir is a fast paced environment, laborious but enjoyable with a strong focus on safety.I learned more about frac equipment and my co-workers always ready to help out.
Management willing to help with any equipment one would need to get the job done.
Pros
Free lunches on occasions
Cons
Sometimes deadlines seem unreachable
Fun Place to work with
Recert Service Technician - Painter (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, Alberta18 July 2015
A repititve work a day

Training and Experience is an asset

Very good management.

Workmates are easy and funny to work with
Pros
Lots of Friends
Cons
Pressure
Great place to work, great co-workers
Pièces/Représentante aux ventes internes (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, Quebec1 September 2014
I liked working at Weir, but they did not have any new position available for me. They let me go with a good severance pay.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Design & overseeing of pressure vessels, and pressure fittings
Engineer in Training (Former Employee) –  Fort Saint John, BC16 April 2013
Every day represented a new challenge. I often created 3D models and drawings of various machine parts and pressure vessels. Quoting on incoming work, reverse engineering customer's supplied parts, preparing reports, checking quality control results, and managing projects were all activities that consumed my time during the work day.

I learned a great deal about the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Process Piping code, and all the standard ASME codes for materials and their standards. I also learned to be percise and accurate with my work, and to take my time to make sure that it is correct. I also learned a great deal about welding and quality control, machining, and managing people.

I enjoyed working with the people in the shop, my supervisor (technical manager) and the field and plant management. I felt that I learned a great deal working for the company.

The hardest part of the job was the tasks sometimes were completely new to me, and I was expected to find the solution on my own. I found the solutions, and feel that the process has helped me learn.

I enjoyed the change in assignments, and carefully reading and learning codes. I find that the more I use them, the better I get with them, and the easier that they become.
Pros
training courses in the city, exposure to asme and csa codes
Cons
minimal overtime pay, salary at the bottom side of the mean.