WCB Alberta

WCB Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

I was afforded many opportunities to move and grow within this organization. Although the organization has a negative connotation in the general public, overall I was treated very well in a fast paced and stressful environment.

No room for advancement in my position

My position had no room for advancement so I chose to leave, pay was decent, benefits the best I have had. Depending who your direct supervisor was greatly impacted your treatment as some thought employees were modern day slaves and others treated their group wonderful.

Pros

Benefits, free fitness classes

Cons

some managers

Insights into WCB Alberta

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Your Experience Entirely Depends on Your Team and Supervisor

The tone is set by your Team Supervisor. I had a great one, I had a terrible one. But there is a strong emphasis on participating in social activities - bonus points for being the social butterfly even if you're not great at your job. Similarly, you can be great at your job, exceed all your required metrics, but be penalized if you are shy or not social enough. Team culture isn't built by extracurricular activities alone or even in the primary. I loved the work but with constant change of supervisors and teams never really felt connected.

Worked as summer student, had a good team and leadership

Worked as summer student with a cohort of other summer students, felt connected as WCB hosted events for summer students. The team that I was placed in had good leadership.

Great place to work and build your career

Nothing but good things to say. WCB provided my lots of opportunity for growth and provided all the training I needed. Been the best 16 years in terms of work and built many lasting relationships

Pros

Great people, training, work-life balance

Cons

Salary freeze

No, please no

The Directors and managers sell of the corporate culture. Big lie of the organization. Supervisor, brutal. Worst experience employment I have ever had!!!!!!! Do not get drink this kool-aid people!

A day at work

My day would start out fine until someone would get into my personal belongings and steal them. I had to smell alcohol on coworkers breath and put up with the floor gossip standing at my desk waiting for me to acknowledge that a gossip session was wanted. The doctors and nurses were all very professional and knew what they were doing. You can't fool them people. There was a lot of jealousy going on between female workers in the office related to who got a raise, who received a promotion, how nice you looked in your daily work outfit etc. The supervisor at the time played favorites and if you weren't one of them you paid dearly. I have no idea what it's like now. It is hard to ignore when it's thrown right in your face and if you try to stay away from it all you are even more hounded. I left due to such immaturity. If I were a bit older at the time, I would have been more able to deal with the stuff that goes on behind those doors. If there had been more people in the higher positions to go to when something went haywire, it would have been a lot less stressful and my rights would have been respected. I could have worked there until retirement and had some kind of a pension, but I just thought hard about it and realized I couldn't work in a place like that. And that's the whole truth as I see it.

Don’t listen to the lies

WCB AB or “Th Board” as they refer themselves is not what it’s cracked up too be During a 2 day orientation, they consistently brought in a rotating door of people praising how well and great it was to work for WCB, kinda sent up a red flag there by hey give it a shot. During orientation they speak about how they care about their employees mental health and that they have resources and plans in place.... WRONG! Long story short, I was diagnosed with 2 mental health issues and advised my mangers and corporate wellness as I was told I could / should do... DONT! Less then a month later, got pulled into a meeting with HR and got let go for “not being a proper fit with the company”... with no other explanation but oooo was proved with a taxi chit... thanks The work environment is stressful, some of the case managers and adjudicators believe they have been touched by divinity and are rude as heck. The work load is insane and there isn’t a lot of help. Security treats the clients like prisoners and are rude. Some of them are nice but some of them are there to collect a cheque and leave. I feel they are like this cause of the clients they deal but still, treat everyone as you would want to be treated. Overall, don’t drink the Koolaid or trust management and wellness as they do NOT care about you. Stay far away, because you’ll think you landed a stable job and have it taken from under you.

Stressful - Not Worth Time or Money

Integrity and ethics of management is questionable when it comes to decision making. Management is not supportive and it would take many years to advance to the next level. Do yourself a favor and keep looking, as the stress of watching humans treat other humans unfairly is not worth your time and money.

Great management and work culture

Great place to work, lots of support from management and co-workers. Relaxed environment with priority on employee well-being. Met great people and earned quite a fair amount of customer service experience.

Good job

Good job, lots of opportunity for advancement. The economic downturn and government intervention has resulted in changes to the organization which are unpopular however.

Wouldn't recommend

I would not recommend that you consider working for WCB-Alberta. The organization is corrupt from the top down. Do yourself a favour and keep looking.

Work culture/management not worth the pay and benefits

I thought I had my dream job, the job trainers and business training courses presented WCB as the perfect place to work! Employees told the new recruits that the job culture was unlike any other workplace and that it was a safe and rewarding place to work. I found the truth to be the opposite. I observed a culture of bullying, abuse, racism, indifference and stress. You are expected to stay late, come in early and essentially do whatever it takes to manage your case load. Training was lovely, but the minute you are done, you are on your own. There is no support, and no one has the time to take away from their work to help you. I observed many coworkers struggling, feeling overwhelmed and afraid to loose their jobs. In general, it seems that WCB "used" to be an amazing place, but with all the changes in legislation the government put into place, they were woefully under-prepared and un-organized....sadly all of the newer employees had to deal with the fall out. My advice, don't work here.

Pros

Money

Cons

Everything else

This is the best place I've ever worked

I was able to advance quickly at the WCB AB, and so I had a few different roles during my time there. In my role as Adjudicator, my typical day would involve checking my "dashboard" in the database for new claims each day, making initial contact with customers and employers & asking a few questions. I would make notes about all my conversations in our database. I had to chase reporting quite often. I would write any decision letters in the morning while my brain was fresh, and accompany decision letters with a phone call to explain the decision. I was also responsible for calculating & setting compensation rates and helping set up clients with physio/chiro as needed. I would transfer any lingering claims to case management at 6 weeks, providing a summary of progress to that date. I learned so much about anatomy, injuries and recovery, and appropriate communication with employers & workers. Management was well-trained and supportive. Workplace culture emphasized work-life balance, which I really appreciated. We were encouraged to use onsite gym, or attend fitness classes at lunch, and they brought in a massage therapist once a week if I remember correctly. Benefits were great! The hardest part of the job was the sheer quantity of claims we were expected to process each week. Even with the focus on work-life balance it was hard to avoid burn-out. The most enjoyable part of the job was the professional and well-trained management, focus on work-life balance, and camaraderie with coworkers. I also liked meetings with certain employers.

Pros

Work-life balance, great management, flexible schedule, benefits, pension

Cons

Large case load - potential for burn out

Good place to work , No growth

Good place to work , No growth Management is good and very helpful People are friendly Good place to be Mid career No a great place top start your career at

Pros

Wokr life balance, pension

Cons

No growth

Fantastic Work Environment and training

You are never bored when working at WCB. There are opportunities to learn through in-house training programs and room for advancement. Benefits are second to none.

Pros

Health Spending Account and Benefits

Cons

Downtown commute/parking

Workplce Culture

Great culture of working together to achieve a common goal. All for one & one for all. Balanced of work & life, good participation in corporate events. Provided good benefits package for employees.

Pros

Cons

Salary

was good

was helpful. I have already reviewed wcb they provided me with support and retraining

Freedom to work on your own and learn new skills

Of all the places I have worked, the WCB was my favorite spot. I enjoyed working with the business intelligence team. For the most part the people were very cooperative and friendly and their is a strong emphasis on work / life balance.

Pros

Learn new skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WCB Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement