WCB Alberta Employee Reviews

Wouldn't recommend
Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2019
I would not recommend that you consider working for WCB-Alberta. The organization is corrupt from the top down. Do yourself a favour and keep looking.
Work culture/management not worth the pay and benefits
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2019
I thought I had my dream job, the job trainers and business training courses presented WCB as the perfect place to work! Employees told the new recruits that the job culture was unlike any other workplace and that it was a safe and rewarding place to work. I found the truth to be the opposite.

I observed a culture of bullying, abuse, racism, indifference and stress. You are expected to stay late, come in early and essentially do whatever it takes to manage your case load. Training was lovely, but the minute you are done, you are on your own. There is no support, and no one has the time to take away from their work to help you.

I observed many coworkers struggling, feeling overwhelmed and afraid to loose their jobs. In general, it seems that WCB "used" to be an amazing place, but with all the changes in legislation the government put into place, they were woefully under-prepared and un-organized....sadly all of the newer employees had to deal with the fall out. My advice, don't work here.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
This is the best place I've ever worked
Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2019
I was able to advance quickly at the WCB AB, and so I had a few different roles during my time there. In my role as Adjudicator, my typical day would involve checking my "dashboard" in the database for new claims each day, making initial contact with customers and employers & asking a few questions. I would make notes about all my conversations in our database. I had to chase reporting quite often. I would write any decision letters in the morning while my brain was fresh, and accompany decision letters with a phone call to explain the decision. I was also responsible for calculating & setting compensation rates and helping set up clients with physio/chiro as needed. I would transfer any lingering claims to case management at 6 weeks, providing a summary of progress to that date.

I learned so much about anatomy, injuries and recovery, and appropriate communication with employers & workers.

Management was well-trained and supportive.

Workplace culture emphasized work-life balance, which I really appreciated. We were encouraged to use onsite gym, or attend fitness classes at lunch, and they brought in a massage therapist once a week if I remember correctly. Benefits were great!

The hardest part of the job was the sheer quantity of claims we were expected to process each week. Even with the focus on work-life balance it was hard to avoid burn-out.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the professional and well-trained management, focus on work-life balance, and camaraderie with coworkers. I also liked meetings with certain employers.
Pros
Work-life balance, great management, flexible schedule, benefits, pension
Cons
Large case load - potential for burn out
Good place to work , No growth
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2019
Good place to work , No growth
Management is good and very helpful
People are friendly
Good place to be Mid career
No a great place top start your career at
Pros
Wokr life balance, pension
Cons
No growth
Fantastic Work Environment and training
Customer Contact Centre Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2018
You are never bored when working at WCB. There are opportunities to learn through in-house training programs and room for advancement.

Benefits are second to none.
Pros
Health Spending Account and Benefits
Cons
Downtown commute/parking
Workplce Culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2017
Great culture of working together to achieve a common goal. All for one & one for all. Balanced of work & life, good participation in corporate events. Provided good benefits package for employees.
Pros
Cons
Salary
was good
Retraining for customer service supervisor (Current Employee) –  alberta22 October 2014
was helpful. I have already reviewed wcb they provided me with support and retraining
Freedom to work on your own and learn new skills
Business Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2014
Of all the places I have worked, the WCB was my favorite spot. I enjoyed working with the business intelligence team. For the most part the people were very cooperative and friendly and their is a strong emphasis on work / life balance.
Pros
Learn new skills