Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care

Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
can't be prepared for the job
Really understand what you're getting into! this job isn't for everyone. Must be a strong person to help people through some of their most difficult times, often providing care to those that do not want it.
Cons
Ptsd
Love my job
I love the work I do, I love the patients and my co-workers. People do tend to complain that management doesn’t take great care of front line staffs mental health.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shift work
not for the faint of heart; self awareness and regulation important
working within a team is critical; pay attention to senior staff instruction for safety purposes. This can be a slow pace environment, but keen monitoring skills and attention to detail are critical for both personal and patient safety.
Good salary
Highly paid salary, lots of hours if you want to work, nice place to work if you like mental health, challenging job, hard to change shifts due to same pay period.
Unsafe, unhealthy, toxic work environment.
This hospital is poorly managed and they do not care about the safety or well being of their staff. They are concerned about one thing: their budget. This hospital does not offer quality care, or adequate services or treatment to their patients who are among some of the most ill in the province. You will have no job security despite their being a union. I would not advise anyone to work here if job satisfaction is important to you.
Teamwork
Great teamwork working on a fast-paced geriatric unit. All hands on deck and very supportive co-workers. Management is adequate and supportive as needed.
Enjoyable workplace
I enjoyed working at Waypoint, as the staff members were friendly and helpful. I also enjoyed getting to know the patients as well as expand on my mental health knowledge.
Mismanaged and poorly run by senior management.
To much drama and infighting between multi discipline teams. Male staff get ready to be used and abused. Managements top concern is profit, weak union.
Pros
Hourly wage.
Cons
Senior management
Loved working at Waypoint
I was dedicated to Waypoint for over 15.5 years then in the last few years I got a new boss who bullied and harassed me every chance he could till I had s break down
Waypoint did nothing to help me
Pros
I was excellent at my job and appreciated by staff and Physicians
Cons
Bullied and harassed for over 2.5 years destroyed me
Good place to work. Some opportunity for advancement. The work for me was always enjoyable and I enjoyed working with the clients. It is a unionized environment which I believe is necessary.
Pros
Salary, benefits, vacation time
fantastic staff
An extremely helpful and compassionate staff. All of my contacts and experiences with clients was very positive and aided by the intelligent team at Waypoint.
Current employee 2018 ( 5 years employee )
You want to work at waypoint? Let me give you a run down of what it's like . Your schedule will consist of about 12 hours in a 2 week pay period . That being only weekends that you work. The work load is so stressful the communication between managers and staff is not even there . You will never receive full time . People have been here for 26 years and are still only getting a maximum of 19 hours. This place is a nightmare to work at. Not to mention your union here does nothing for you even tho your paying 20 bucks a paycheck to them . Being a mental health hospital they create more mental health problems in their staff then any work facility in onatiro .
Cons
No hours, only work weekends, no communication with staff from management
rather not comment
Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care is an internationally recognized psychiatric hospital and forensic mental health research facility located on the beautiful shores of Georgian Bay in the Town of Penetanguishene.
I learned a lot at this job
Executive Assistant/Event coordinator for annual conference,
Creating and maintaining all marketing material related to annual, monthly and quarterly events

Organizing and coordinating events while working with internal and external stakeholders and committees

Clinical and non-clinical educational event planning for all staff and external invitations as required

Maintaining internal website, social media, uploading material, education opportunities and events

Working with the Communication department to develop a plan to implement and promote social networking

Working with various stakeholders to implement a fundraising strategy with existing donors

Working with Fundraising committee and research department assisting with grant proposals and procedures
I am casual and therefore do not get calls for hours.
My typical day at work is the cleaning of washrooms and halls and patient rooms. I have learned how to clean a hospital environment and how to work with mental health patients which is both challenging and rewarding. I get along great with my co-workers and upper management team. The hardest part of my job would be frustration because I am only casual and therefore do not get called very often for hours. I work most of my hours with the Catholic School Board. The most enjoyable part of my job is variety because there is always a patient room that has to be addressed and that is always a different situation.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Not called for hours
Excellent Organization
A great company to work for, very competitive benefits package, strong emphasis on educational opportunities and work life balance. Opportunities for advancement for those wishing to progress their healthcare careers.
Micromanagement
I have never worked anywhere that treated their employees as poorly as Waypoint. Management tells everyone that they use no restraints or seclusions. Reality is they are used every day. Patients on Bayview Dual Diagnosis are forced to shower and bath and change in front of each other. No support from management if you are injured by a patient. They will make you believe it was your fault! Coworkers were great but it was not worth putting up with management. Have a complaint or suggestion? They will literally wave resumes in your face telling you to do it or they will replace you. Manager locks diapers, toothpaste, deodorant etc in her office so she can limit use. One night the only diapers were locked in her office! No regard from them for staff OR patient wellbeing. Do not send your loved ones there. And my strong recommendation is to not work there. You are just a number to them.
Pros
Good coworkers (nurses, dsw)
Cons
Management, abuse
Watch out for Head Honcho
Great place to work, however, head management want things there way and if not there way than you can say bye bye
Excellent
Excellent setting, the new facility offered many new opportunities for programming and client care.
Excellent Experience
I have gained amazing experience at this facility.
I work with many wonderful clients who I learn from each and every day.
Educational
The best part of my tenure with the Waypoint Centre would have to be my co-workers, their interaction, understanding ,respect & support was over the top I could not have worked with a better group of people
Pros
interaction with co workers
Cons
lack of communication between staff & management