Wawanesa Insurance

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

A Company that Cares About Employees

Featured review

Wawanesa Insurance selected this as a representative review
Working for Wawanesa has been the best career decision I've made. Here's why:- Supportive management- Challenging work- Opportunities to grow in your career and learn new skills- Competitive compensation package and equitable pay - GREAT benefits- Truly cares about employee health and wellbeing- Transparency - Fun activities and contests - Professional development- Collaboration with other departments - Inclusive environment - Great recognition program - Flexible work schedule (opportunity to work from home)- Excellent response and quick action dealing with the pandemic

Pros

Employees start with 3 weeks of vacation at minimum and 5 personal days!

Cult like; just keep smiling and telling everyone it's going great, despite the mountains of work that keeps being thrown at you.

Inexperienced managers in a very top down culture make for bad working environment: so people leave which increases the workload for those left there. Staffing shortages abound and burnout is high.

Pros

Ability to work from home. 5 personal days.

Cons

No work life balance; cult like culture. Upper management don't understand, nor care about the front lines.

Great place to work, great people to work with. Fantastic organization

Would highly recommend this organization to others. Although the salary is on the low end, there is still lots of room for advancement and great educational opportunities.

They went through an incredible digital transformation, but they also need to transform their culture.

It is an old company trying to catch up with the digital world by adopting new and exciting technologies, so there is a lot of IT projects going on; this makes them the perfect place to learn new tools and technologies. The company's only issue is the lack of opportunities for non-Canadian; they talk a lot about diversity and inclusion, but in reality, anybody's origins and accent is a glass ceiling in Wawanesa.

Pros

Pension plan. / Work-life Balance / Learning environment

Cons

Old boomer culture

Supportive Management

The team's within Wawanesa are friendly and supportive, I can easy say I would recommend applying there. Great benefits, personal days provided. Very casual environment.

Amazing company

Anything you think you know about insurance companies - throw it away. Wawanesa is an amazing company to work for, caring for our owners (policyholders) is in our DNA, and it permeates through every decision we make. I know I can feel secure making the right call for a client because my manager will have my back. This is a company that cares about you - not just your productivity, but how you are doing as a person.

Pros

Amazing management, great training, awesome events

Cons

Still a little segmented regionally

Don’t miss it

Wawanesa has a culture of “that’s not how Wawanesa does things” They don’t like thinking outside the box or new ways of doing things. If you leave be prepared to be shunned like an Amish teenager who left the colony They will think you broke up with them and be hurt.

Pros

Work hours not overtaxing

Cons

Cult like atmosphere

Great Company

The company itself is wonderful. Great benefits. The computer seems to care about employees, however certain supervisors do not seem to care. The main CON is that the pay is not competitive with other insurance companies in Winnipeg.

Pros

Benefits, Work/life balance

Cons

Pay is not competitive

Great company to work for!

Our company is just as passionate about our staff as they are about our clients. This is a face paced environment that adapts to the changing work force.

good place to work. new computer system to learn

this is a good company to work for, management is very supportive. different type of business underwritten here with an eye on packages and smaller accounts.

You must assimilate...

Working for Wawanesa is like working for the “Borg” You must assimilate You must do things the “Wawanesa way” even though that is ever changing Unit managers are weak and usually castoffs from other companies who only know how to be acquiescent to those they report to

stressful

if you're the friend of a friend, then you have opportunities, if not then you don't. a lot of work from the start to the end of your shift. Not much support

Pros

food almost all the time

Cons

stressful

Productive & fast paced environment

They're a great company to work for and have many pleasant members to work alongside. They have great benefits and job security. Pleasant and changing environment.

I love working here. My team is fantastic, and I love what I do. The vision for the future is so bright and the CEO is humble and visionary at the same time.

I'm so glad I left

This company is rife with corruption especially in IT within the Winnipeg branch. Stress levels are high, morale is low and demands are unreasonable. The management is the most clueless group of executives I've ever experienced. Workers are treated poorly and the old school mentality has driven many to stress leave. I was with the company approximately 4 years. It started out good but has turned an environment full of back stabbers and liars. Be warned, especially if you are seeking an analyst position.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No work life balance at all

- The company is people caring. There's a culture of listening to employees and valuing their opinions. People respect each other. - Employees have opportunities to grow and develop. - Achievements are celebrated.

Pros

GOod salary

Cons

Productive and hard working environment

great working environment, flexible hours for students and just an all together great company to work for. Everyone is very kind and always willing to help.

There should be an option for zero stars

If you are in IT in any capacity, I cannot stress this enough. Walk the other way! The management team is ruled (I use the term in the true autocratic sense) by a unqualified SVP who has surrounded himself with sycophants who are equally walking disasters. If you do decide to join regardless, expect a high stressed environment with no direction and management looking to blame anyone but themselves. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Pros

The only real pro of a DB pension plan was taken away for new employees

Cons

See above. You want work/life balance? Forget it here!

productive and fun enviroment

great culture, good family and work balance learn a lot a lot of advancement available great management people are the most enjoyable part of the job

Technically challenging and productive environment

A stable insurance company to work with and offers a lot of opportunity to grow in terms of career. Good management support for their employees in terms of their desire for personal career advancement Provides a competitive retirement package

Terrible employer

- No training - Old-school mentality/ micromanagement - No life-work balance - Hard work is not even recognized - No place for professional growth - Company will overwork you - Salaries are low - Everyone hates it here. People keep quitting from all departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wawanesa Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement