Wawanesa Insurance

Canada115 reviews

Clear

A Company that Cares About Employees

Featured review

Wawanesa Insurance selected this as a representative review
Working for Wawanesa has been the best career decision I've made. Here's why:- Supportive management- Challenging work- Opportunities to grow in your career and learn new skills- Competitive compensation package and equitable pay - GREAT benefits- Truly cares about employee health and wellbeing- Transparency - Fun activities and contests - Professional development- Collaboration with other departments - Inclusive environment - Great recognition program - Flexible work schedule (opportunity to work from home)- Excellent response and quick action dealing with the pandemic

Pros

Employees start with 3 weeks of vacation at minimum and 5 personal days!

Moral sucks

Inexperienced managers in a very top down culture make for bad working environment: so people leave which increases the workload for those left there. Staffing shortages abound and burnout is high. Staff are very clicky all say they want to help but refuse too. Training is not good.

Pros

None really

Cons

alot to many to list

Cult like; just keep smiling and telling everyone it's going great, despite the mountains of work that keeps being thrown at you.

Pros

Ability to work from home. 5 personal days.

Cons

No work life balance; cult like culture. Upper management don't understand, nor care about the front lines.

Old school

Old school management when I worked there. Job advancement was quick, underwriting is very stressful.Sometimes unattainable number of apps to underwrite on a day.Management retired, so could be a better place to work now, maybe.

Pros

Nice team members

Cons

High demand work load

Toxic and Notorious for Bullying

Most toxic place to work. Employees are all miserable and the morale is depressing. Micromanaged to the point of nervous breakdowns. Managers are useless, can’t coach or mentor, don’t trust employees and are lacking in overall skill. Bullying is rampant here. Never seen anything like it. Very toxic, directors and VP’s play favourites, several managers only promoted to those positions based on seniority but have no idea how to actually direct staff. Ridiculed in the workplace for the same mistakes a manager makes. The politics are insane at the executive level. This whole coming needs an overhaul and hopefully staff will speak up about the bullying. Save your soul, don’t work here.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else, stay away!

Solid job security but don’t expect much respect

Good job, ok benefits and ok work but don’t expect upper mgmt to be on the same page as front line managers. They rarely consult their staff and insist on driving service while grading you on odd factors that are often well out of your control I would give them a higher score based if the culture which is quite positive but the treatment by mgmt just made it difficult.

Pros

Good culture, great introductory role

Cons

Disconnect from mgmt to front ljne

What a Mess

- supervisors micro manage - don’t trust employees do their job- supervisors and management discriminate against medical conditions - supervisors have no underwriting knowledge and rely heavily on underwriting technical specialists and senior underwriters- unorganized all over the place, expect processes and procedures to change everyday you work- no promotion within and hire unqualified candidates for higher positions - overall toxic work environment

Benefits

Cons

Toxic Work Environment

Amazing company

Anything you think you know about insurance companies - throw it away. Wawanesa is an amazing company to work for, caring for our owners (policyholders) is in our DNA, and it permeates through every decision we make. I know I can feel secure making the right call for a client because my manager will have my back. This is a company that cares about you - not just your productivity, but how you are doing as a person.

Pros

Amazing management, great training, awesome events

Cons

Still a little segmented regionally

My team was a great group of peole

Senior employees treated poorly compared to new hires by management. If you are there long enough, you can become like family if you are liked. Management has a hard time allowing interdepartmental training.

Pros

company accomplishments celebrated

Cons

Management is harsh

Don’t miss it

Wawanesa has a culture of “that’s not how Wawanesa does things” They don’t like thinking outside the box or new ways of doing things. If you leave be prepared to be shunned like an Amish teenager who left the colony They will think you broke up with them and be hurt.

Pros

Work hours not overtaxing

Cons

Cult like atmosphere

Good job

Good place to work and employees are great, training was in depth. Workload can be at times stressful and very high level of competency is needed to do the job.

Decent company

Everything is great besides the fact that they are discriminatory towards people with disabilities or medical concerns that are not physically seen I.e neurological.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Discriminatory

good place to work. new computer system to learn

this is a good company to work for, management is very supportive. different type of business underwritten here with an eye on packages and smaller accounts.

Good corporate job

Great company to work with. Supportive management & leaders. Everybody is a team player. Collaborative and supportive leaders and work colleagues. Encourages personal and professional growths.

Pros

Agile

Cons

parking

I love working here. My team is fantastic, and I love what I do. The vision for the future is so bright and the CEO is humble and visionary at the same time.

Great company to work with. Supportive management & leaders. Everytbody is a team player. Collaborative and supportive leaders and work colleagues. Encourages personal and professional growths.

great expeirence

enjoyed working at this organization , learned a lot of knowledge, management was veery friendly, enjoyed working in a positive and collaborative work environment.

Easy, laid back job for a student with no experience.

Worked here during the summer while on break from university. I enjoyed this job, it was M-F 8-4 and fairly easy. Management was extremely nice, and made good friends with coworkers. No vacations as it was only a 3 month term which sucked so you cant have any days off. They train you very well and its a good job, i'd come back again next year. Above minimum wage too, not too much but better than just minimum.

Productive and Insurance Standard courses

Good Organization, Free Training Courses, Good Pension Competent, Organized ,Efficient, Productive, Good Management, Nice Office, Lunch Room, Coffee and donuts

Worse work place ever

- Bullying - Harassment - Favoritism - Unprofessional - Awards bad behavior - Bad management - Stressful - Lack of knowledge and structure - Boys club

Pros

Cons

Bullying, Favoritism, Bad management

I'm so glad I left

This company is rife with corruption especially in IT within the Winnipeg branch. Stress levels are high, morale is low and demands are unreasonable. The management is the most clueless group of executives I've ever experienced. Workers are treated poorly and the old school mentality has driven many to stress leave. I was with the company approximately 4 years. It started out good but has turned an environment full of back stabbers and liars. Be warned, especially if you are seeking an analyst position.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No work life balance at all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wawanesa Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Wawanesa Insurance with