Wawanesa Insurance

Clear
3.2Job security & advancement

A Company that Cares About Employees

Featured review

Wawanesa Insurance selected this as a representative review
Working for Wawanesa has been the best career decision I've made. Here's why:- Supportive management- Challenging work- Opportunities to grow in your career and learn new skills- Competitive compensation package and equitable pay - GREAT benefits- Truly cares about employee health and wellbeing- Transparency - Fun activities and contests - Professional development- Collaboration with other departments - Inclusive environment - Great recognition program - Flexible work schedule (opportunity to work from home)- Excellent response and quick action dealing with the pandemic

Pros

Employees start with 3 weeks of vacation at minimum and 5 personal days!

Old school

Old school management when I worked there. Job advancement was quick, underwriting is very stressful.Sometimes unattainable number of apps to underwrite on a day.Management retired, so could be a better place to work now, maybe.

Pros

Nice team members

Cons

High demand work load

Great place to work, great people to work with. Fantastic organization

Would highly recommend this organization to others. Although the salary is on the low end, there is still lots of room for advancement and great educational opportunities.

They went through an incredible digital transformation, but they also need to transform their culture.

It is an old company trying to catch up with the digital world by adopting new and exciting technologies, so there is a lot of IT projects going on; this makes them the perfect place to learn new tools and technologies. The company's only issue is the lack of opportunities for non-Canadian; they talk a lot about diversity and inclusion, but in reality, anybody's origins and accent is a glass ceiling in Wawanesa.

Pros

Pension plan. / Work-life Balance / Learning environment

Cons

Old boomer culture

Supportive Management

The team's within Wawanesa are friendly and supportive, I can easy say I would recommend applying there. Great benefits, personal days provided. Very casual environment.

What a Mess

- supervisors micro manage - don’t trust employees do their job- supervisors and management discriminate against medical conditions - supervisors have no underwriting knowledge and rely heavily on underwriting technical specialists and senior underwriters- unorganized all over the place, expect processes and procedures to change everyday you work- no promotion within and hire unqualified candidates for higher positions - overall toxic work environment

Benefits

Cons

Toxic Work Environment

Enjoyable work experience, many perks, room for advancement

This was a great place to work. I started on a contract, but was hired on permanently before the contract ended. There are many perks of working for this company. Good pay/ raises, benefits, pension, occasional lunches, depending on your department you can get invited to a sporting event or free dinner. Very nice place to work. Good vacation time plus sick days and personal days. Low stress so everyone was easy to get along with.

Pros

Room for advancement, good time off, good pay

Cons

My training experience (from a co-worker who was also learning her own new position) was not ideal.

Great Company

The company itself is wonderful. Great benefits. The computer seems to care about employees, however certain supervisors do not seem to care. The main CON is that the pay is not competitive with other insurance companies in Winnipeg.

Pros

Benefits, Work/life balance

Cons

Pay is not competitive

good place to work. new computer system to learn

this is a good company to work for, management is very supportive. different type of business underwritten here with an eye on packages and smaller accounts.

Productive & fast paced environment

They're a great company to work for and have many pleasant members to work alongside. They have great benefits and job security. Pleasant and changing environment.

great expeirence

enjoyed working at this organization , learned a lot of knowledge, management was veery friendly, enjoyed working in a positive and collaborative work environment.

Poor enviroment

I had a short term contract at Wawanesa and it wasn't very enjoyable. I was trained by someone who was being trained and it was a horrible experience.

I'm so glad I left

This company is rife with corruption especially in IT within the Winnipeg branch. Stress levels are high, morale is low and demands are unreasonable. The management is the most clueless group of executives I've ever experienced. Workers are treated poorly and the old school mentality has driven many to stress leave. I was with the company approximately 4 years. It started out good but has turned an environment full of back stabbers and liars. Be warned, especially if you are seeking an analyst position.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No work life balance at all

- The company is people caring. There's a culture of listening to employees and valuing their opinions. People respect each other. - Employees have opportunities to grow and develop. - Achievements are celebrated.

Pros

GOod salary

Cons

Productive and hard working environment

great working environment, flexible hours for students and just an all together great company to work for. Everyone is very kind and always willing to help.

Top 5! 1) People...the environment I work in, in Edmonton is healthy and fun. I am not a micro manager. I do expect the best and extend trust to the staff. 2) Pay and Benefits...for the most part, I’ve been compensated fairly with a few hiccups in regards to two poor leaders who didn’t know what they were doing. Played favorites...unfair-inaccurate performance assessments...subjective rather than objective data. 3) Lots of opportunity to grow and move throughout the company. You’re not stuck in one role for the life of your career. 4) The company is making major improvements that improve systems and processes. Getting with the times. This includes developing its leadership team Nationally. Hopefully moving away some leaders from the strong arm and micro management approach. 5) Moving towards taking care of their number one asset—employees. Take care of the employee and they will take care of the business and the customers.

Pros

Working here

Cons

Not working here

productive and fun enviroment

great culture, good family and work balance learn a lot a lot of advancement available great management people are the most enjoyable part of the job

Technically challenging and productive environment

A stable insurance company to work with and offers a lot of opportunity to grow in terms of career. Good management support for their employees in terms of their desire for personal career advancement Provides a competitive retirement package

A company that gives back to the community!

Wawanesa is a wonderful company to be a part of. Management is amazing - professional and impressively knowledgeable on every level of the industry. Work environment is great with employees who are exceptionally trained in their respective positions. Being the third largest insurance company in Canada, they get their fair share of clients which allows for peace of mind in terms of job security. Wawanesa has multiple programs which allows us to give back to the community. With that being said, Wawanesa is also a company that cares for its employees. They offer wonderful benefits package and competitive salaries. It truly is a great company!

Terrible employer

- No training - Old-school mentality/ micromanagement - No life-work balance - Hard work is not even recognized - No place for professional growth - Company will overwork you - Salaries are low - Everyone hates it here. People keep quitting from all departments

job info

I worked for 9 years in the start of my career there it was great, however they have went down hill over the years and their expectations were not realistic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wawanesa Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Wawanesa Insurance with