Waves Coffee House Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Barista (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC6 March 2018
I enjoy working at Waves Coffee House. I am learning a lot of new skills, and I love talking to customers. I get along well with all my fellow employees. However, the scheduling is really stressful. Not having any set schedule and just kind of putting people where they like isn't a good sign of management. It means that even though they may not be giving me the hours I need, I can't even find another job because I don't know my availability. I tried asking if I could have a fixed schedule, and the manager responded by threatening to fire me. Overall, it's a good job, but stressful and I's like to work somewhere else. One free drink per shift is great though!!
Pros
Free drink per shift and 25% off discount
Cons
Non-confirmed scheduling
Epic family work environment, always busy and fun hands-on work load.
Barista, Cashier, and Key-holder. (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 February 2018
A job to remember for the rest of your life, promise. Although management was being constantly changed, every single manager had a sort of rapport with coworkers as if they were the chill parents you've always envied your friends for having. When first introduced to coworkers, within a few seconds you attain a family environment. When I say family, I mean one you would literally give an arm for; even when differences arise in the future. Because of the environment I worked in, smack-dab in the middle of Whalley (Gateway), you will soon know what I mean by having interesting customers from all walks of life come through the door. There are customers that will make you wonder who raised them, some that will call you a "traitor to your country" for telling them to lower loud music from their phones alongside the fact that they're loitering and some that will straight up attack you. I have had instances where a "well-known" convict has threatened to "find" me after work because I didn't show him the slightest bit of fear and enforced our right to refuse service (allow entry in washroom), and a mentally unstable person throw hands when told to stop bothering customers. I know this seems like it draws the line but I have witnessed customers walk in with bloodied faces, bruised women, crying children, and overdosed addicts inside our restrooms. Do note, these violent or victimized customers almost always experienced hardships beyond imagination so keep an open mind and/or optional sympathy. Regardless, do not be scared away; I promise it builds character, resilience and discipline  more... to embrace these challenges as well as the RCMP/Firefighters will come to your aid in less than a sec because they're really regulars. Aside from that, you will frequently meet one of the best customers in the world; some that will offer you job opportunities and some that will actually end up being life-long friends. Tips were more than enough, hourly pay being above minimum as well as high potential in promotion. That being said, I only left because of one fact: I needed to dip my feet in new waters.  less
Pros
Free lunches, discounted food at neighboring stores, high possibility of promotion for employees with excellent work ethic.
Cons
No bluelight in restrooms to prevent addicts from using, as far as I know. However, coded doors; just use your own judgement who to let in, some will even look like ordinary well-kept people.
Wonderful until new owner
Supervisor and Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 February 2018
I worked for the Waves Coffee House on Howe from the winter of 2016 until the end of January 2018. Great atmosphere and people to work with. Minimum wage but I stayed for the people. The management was awesome until they sold the store to the new owner. I rage quit after the management screwed me over. Inconsistent and last minute schedule. Always trying to escape over time pay. Paycheck was a while month late so I quit. Told more than one of us that they will make us supervisor so we will stay, but now that they hired a bunch of new people we are no longer needed. Cheap new owner. Incompetent push-over manager.
Pros
The workers
Cons
Everything else
I did orders
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2018
I did just about everything there was fun and was great wish I did not move away was training to be manager and i was expected to be apart of the team
Pros
Great boss
workable environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC27 November 2017
waves coffee is a stable job a place i where it can help you grow with skills and knowledge.
it can definitely help with future jobs in fast food, and customer services.
Pros
free drink, samples of drinks, 30 min break.
Cons
not enough employees working a shift can get pretty hectic.
good place to work at
STAFF (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2017
Boss was really nice and i get free drink per shift. Was dealing with nice customers. Just understaff because it's only 1 person working every shift. lucky if there are 2
Pros
free drink
Cons
no benefits
Waves Coffee barista
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
I stood at the front of the cafe and took orders and carried out my duty. My tasks included serving customers, preparing drinks, preparing food items and cleaning up the work environment. I washed dishes in the back, and wiped tables and cleaned the floor. I also restocked food that is displayed in the display case.
Pros
Inclusive staff meals (lunch break)
Productive and fun work space.
Cashier and bank deposits (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC26 February 2017
I enjoyed working for waves coffee it was a very nice and friendly place to work.Love the boss and how he treats his staff a very helpful first job loved it.
management sucked very bad
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC21 February 2017
poor salary benefits. forgets to pay you overtime, even when you work 50+ in one week!!!!!!!! management? a joke. okay coworkers, although very lazy!!!!!!!
Pros
free drinks
Cons
bad hours
working at a coffee shop
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 August 2016
waking up early, open the store, making coffee.
I learned so many things about coffee and customer service.
everybody are friendly and hard worker at coffee shop environment.
overall good
barrista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
I honestly enjoyed working for this company and would have continued my employment there if i was not looking to move up in life. I left in order to better myself and search for better opportunities in a more proffecional setting.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
not much pay
Poor training, friendly environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Steveston, BC5 August 2016
A typical day at work: open the store alone, keep place clean and restocked, only 2 people working at a time (unfortunately), deal with customer complaints
What you learned: strong organization skills, patience, hospitality, quick thinking and instincts
Management: if you seek an attentive manager who enforces strong work ethic this is not the place to apply
Your co-workers: mostly pleasant, enjoyable to work with and are people you look forward to seeing every shift but due to poor training and lack of consequences, difficult to work with (lack of teamwork)
Pros
free drinks (one per shift), discounts on food, close to many take-out restaurants for lunch breaks
Cons
long hours, grumpy customers
coffe is always fresh and baristas are always friendly
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2016
i loved working for Waves Coffee House it was a pleasure to work there with talented baristas and wonderful customers. the espresso machine are very luxerious, and the drinks are just perfect
Typical coffee shop love my team and the customers
Store Manager & Company Trainer (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC24 February 2016
Monday to Friday shifts, consistent and a great work life balance. I've learned many different things along the way. I am the Store Manager and company trainer. I love the team I created and the customers who return. I love my job but it's not a career and that is the hardest part since I LOVE what I do. I enjoy being able to float around the store and be able to juggle many different and tasks areas of the store.
Pros
Tips, one free drink, work life balance, and the people
Cons
No: Benefits, Incentives, Bonuses, Raises & Reviews.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  85th street, sw calgaRY1 February 2016
i've learned a lot for like for dealing with other people, taking thier orders because i am new in this kind of job although the hardest part for during my first time is to know all the product especially in there menus and coffee and tea because there are so many to choose.
Extremely disorganized and unethical
Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) –  New Westminster14 October 2015
Working here was a nightmare. It was extremely disorganized, messy, and slow. A lot of the people who were hired couple months before me still didn't really know what they were doing. Baristas were not trained to steam milk or extract shots correctly anyone just jumped on bar. There's was no organization in roles. Everyone was kind of just doing anything. There was a lot of miscommunication amongst the management and employees. Sometimes there would be no one at cash because everyone was making drinks but there would be a line. I quit after my first shift because I didn't want to deal with the stress. Asked to try it again by a manager in head office. Did two more training shifts before quitting again. Waited nearly two months to get paid because head office kept pushing it back and wouldn't issue my pay cheque. When I threatened to take it to bc labour relations board I instantly got my paycheque. Maybe it was just that one location that was really bad but I definitely wouldn't apply here again at any location.
Pros
Nice setting
Cons
Disorganized, slow, bad service, bad teamwork, bad training
Cashier and Barista
Cashier and Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 September 2015
Creating smiles with the soothing smell of a latte on a cold winter evening. A touch of magic with a specialized latte art on the specialty drinks.
Excellent and open communication
District Manager (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 September 2015
I enjoy working with the various corporate and individual store owner/operators. With open communication at all levels of management, sales and skill levels remain outstanding.
I learned how important is for people to have their breakfast, I noticed how it would improve their behaviour.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 August 2015
Fun work place with great, hard-working, organized management.
Personal growth and development of skills. Inspired to improve and good changes.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Cleaning duties
minimum wage, minimal respect from others
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC7 April 2015
making drinks, preparing food and coffee, and cleaning.
you don't get much respect from anyone above you. The only upside was the relationships you make with customers and co-workers.