Watson Building Supplies

Watson Building Supplies Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
-2 person team one on the forklift the other wedging the correct amount of material based off of the specified order.
-I learned to use a counter balance forklift with skill and safety in mind

-management in supportive and helpful.

-the hardest part of the job would be when there was not enough manpower and one operator would have to build the order without the help of a co-worker.
rife with politics. toxic work culture. inconsistency with pay, although hrs worked consistent. mgmt professional. smoking onsite around non-smokers..
A strong $ company in the drywall delivery business. they have a large majority of the projects in new construction development in the city, and other 3 locations. terrible working culture on site, mixed politics and people, in group, out group. mentality. Some seniority extremist around, Portuguese and Italian flags on trucks'. if you can handle that the pay is consistent and weekly, some reasonable benefits in boot jackets etc. Yet, safety not adequate and employee development and care lacking.
Pros
consistent pay/ hrs
Cons
strict duties orderd or requested
EXTREMELY friendly people to work with, majority are Portuguese. Everybody becomes family working in this company. When I was 18 this was the ideal job place for me. Perfect for someone young.
Pros
Amzing people to work with. Everyone gets along not matter ehat you do.
Cons
The owner wont even shake your hand.
The management at the Barrie yard is the worst I have worked for. All the fellow road and warehouse guys were awesome. If not seeing your family is your cup of tea, if being treated like a number, instead of a human is what your looking for, if being told to TAKE THE TRUCK , regardless of the flat tire, because the material is "time sensitive" then this is the place for you. If you have a spine, and stand up for your "workers rights" , don't waste your time here. The only importance from this management, is the material and the customer.
Pros
Co workers on the road and warehouse
Cons
Enjoyed working at Watson Building Supply. Had planned on retiring from the company, but was in a motorcycle accident and could continue the labouring. Had unlimited overtime for those who wanted it. New winter coats and work boots every year.
Pros
Above average pay in the field.
Cons
Long hours and shift work.
As a driver/helper. Production is more important then safety. poor management. If you like working up to 14 hours a day carrying drywall and dealing with poor disbatch/management/trades as well as being left to fend for yourself working overtime and having broken promises then this is the job for you at the barrie location.
Pros
Going home at the end of the day
Cons
Poor management
Great company with knowledgable leaders, that continue to pursue expansion. Hard work and dedication is an important aspect of being a part of the company, along with maintaining good relationships with customers.
Great place to work for
Management where good

Learned a lot of new skills at this job

Co workers where good

Lots of ways to grow with this company
I worked there 8 yrs good company. But some of the management treats the employees like numbers. No respect its miss managed other then that good company to work for.
Pros
100 keg cards
Cons
everything else
Unfortunately, after 8 years of traveling to the city I had to make a choice and I resigned.

The staff were like family and my co-workers worked hard and were well educated.

I had 5 finance reps that worked under my department to help with the daily receivables and credit.

I enjoyed working with our customers and staff. Being a credit manager takes a special person. You need to balance collecting the money from the customers but keeping them happy in order to stay loyal. This I excelled in and enjoyed.

I loved and love to learn, there was opportunity for upgrading within Watson's and they promoted it - when you could find the time.

I learned a lot about SCC and dealing with the judicial system. I went to many seminars with regards to Liens. -

Unfortunately, leaving Watson's was one of the hardest decisions I have ever made in my career
Pros
Customers - Staff - Room for Growth
Cons
Hours - Travel
Not a structured company, very disorganized.Company was under new management when i started and could not meet with employee needs