WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Fun to work with kids

Not enough hours that you can get / you can’t get full time and contract with school board Otherwise I really enjoyed working with kids at all ages

They lie and never promote you and allow you to succeed further.

Once your a dedicated employee they don't want you to succeed to something more or promote you to a better job! They make excuses about why you can get this new job. New employees always gets the new jobs.

Benefits

Cons

Promote

This is a very rewarding job, working with students.

This is a great place to work. Rewarding working with students. Benefits and training to permanent staff. The only downside is that there is no movement for going up in your role. I would like to take on more of a role and move up the ladder with more responsibility and pay but that is not available in the role of an Education Assistant.This all aside still a full filing job.

Pros

Benefits, Everyday change

Cons

No movement to go up in your role

Amazing Place to work!

Great place to work. The work is demanding but manageable. The people are great. I would recommend working for this organization any day. Staff is always treated with respect and always accommodating.

Staff

Best staff and students to work with in Waterloo Region. Caring and involved administration and excellent EAP package. Very professional, collaborative and inclusive.

Some schools have better leadership than others, but everyone I’ve encountered has been kind and very welcoming. Work is challenging enough and I feel comfortable asking questions or seeking clarification. We’re kept busy/engaged.

Overall, a good place to work!

If helping students is for you, this is a great place to be! From schools to Board Offices, from Kindergarten to seniors, many can learn with the WCDSB!

Pros

Satisfaction with helping others succede

Cons

Salary can be better

working as atemp custodian

-very challenging -expected to work back to back shifts -travelling to all schools in the area -can work days then evening then again called back in for days - 6mths for probation but not usually offered a permanent shift will be expected to be on call until a part time permanent shift is offered. this has taken some up to 5yrs. -management can be challenging -benefit potential is good if you ever reach full time status but it is rare.

Pros

limited

Cons

can work 24/7

good workplace

good workplace. the other staff were all friendly and helpful. the work was necessary and was a safe environment. i learned proper office procedures and rules.

working with highschool students was great.

Great working with special needs and behavioral challenged children but can be very draining also. I loved working with the children. To see their faces light up when they succeed in something is very rewarding. The politics and the major cut backs happening right now has me a little upset. They are taking lots of resources away from the children.

Pros

Watching the children succeed

Cons

Only 6hrs/day and no pay during summer and other holidays

Approachable environment

The administration team I worked for were exceptional. They were approachable, helpful, professional and willing to assist in any way they could whether it was professional or personal. A typical day really varied as a teacher. It was unpredictable when you are teaching three classes of 20+ students. I would say that would be the most challenging part of my job is the unknown in a classroom environment. I enjoyed working with my colleagues, interacting and sharing resources. As well, collaborating ideas with other teachers in my department and coming up with new lesson plans, tests and assignments. I also very much enjoyed interacting with students, getting to know them on a personal level. As a teacher, it is always rewarding to see them grow and development within a semester/year.

Pros

Never a dull moment, as an educator, you are always learning, developing relationships with students and colleagues

Cons

Marking at times took many hours

Great Environment at workplace and flexible with work ours

I like to work here with my team members of the IT department. I collaborative work here with them and learning lots of new things every day. I assist a customizable and innovative Content Management System in WordPress for the main WCDSB board office and other 45 elementary schools and secondary schools. I Create a hierarchy structure for a new website to provide maximum user experience while maintaining the W3C standards and AODA. I love to spend time with my colleagues during my office hour. I am enhancing my knowledge and having growth in my skills after joining this organization.

Rewarding workplace

I work with children that are ages 4-13. My typical day is working with students that have some type of learn problem or has been diagnose with Autism.

People orrientated, faith based, positive

Really enjoy working as an educational Assistant with the wcdsb. I love the all- inclusive learning environment and the faith based atmosphere & Working with people as a collaborative team member!

Reasonable Wages; with an understanding of CYW position

Applied to this Board because of the job description and the separation from Educational Assistant from Child and Youth Work positions. Most Boards do not know the difference and we're all put into one category; the Waterloo Catholic District Board has made attempts to separate not only the pay but also the job description. Hardest part of ANY board is getting in; sometimes it'll take years to get into a full time permanent position. Have to supply until you get through with no benefits......

Pros

Identified CYW's Used for our Expertise; 40 hour weeks

Cons

No benefits and takes time to get in to a Permanent full-time position

Great school board to work for.

Working as a supply means being flexible and being able to adapt to new situations quickly. This is difficult sometimes because you get to work with a student and learn about them, and then you are at another school the next day with a new student. You are working with different students everyday, facing different challenges. The teachers and other employees at the schools are super helpful when working with these students. Its a warm and welcoming environment.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Not full time

Great place to work, friendly and helpful co-workers

A typical day at work was constantly having to multi-task the various duties of the job. I learned how time management is crucial in the IT field.

A great place to work

Dealing with Children's behaviours and disabilities on a daily basis. Helping to educate children with disabilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the kids get what you are trying to teach them. I loved being part of the social aspect of the school, planning social events. I have learned so much in this job, mostly patience. I love Special Education, but miss the office aspect of the jobs I use to do.

Pros

summers off

Cons

not being able to take a holiday when you need it or want it

Group Home Counsellor

Supported youth living in the Lutherwood group home. Offered 1:1 counselling when needed, while recording all necessary paperwork. Maintained open relationships and communication with staff members.

Pros

youth

Cons

Environment is relaxed, you work on your own accord

A typical work day is to complete student attendance, answer phones, greet parents and complete parents' request with respect to their children, administer medications by following instructions. Contact school buses regarding kids. Act on any requisitions by principals in the schools. Record accidents in accident log.

Pros

Enjoy work in the office as you are in one in charge other than the principal, assist teachers if need be.

Cons

Not challenging at times, supply binder is missing important information

Great School Board

I thoroughly enjoy my job because I get to help students. I have learned through my years as a supply teacher and also through my work as an instructor therapist, where I worked with children with Autism, that every student has the potential to understand/accomplish anything that they put their minds to if they are supported and given the resources needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement