WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
This is a great place to work. Rewarding working with students. Benefits and training to permanent staff. The only downside is that there is no movement for going up in your role. I would like to take on more of a role and move up the ladder with more responsibility and pay but that is not available in the role of an Education Assistant.This all aside still a full filing job.
Pros
Benefits, Everyday change
Cons
No movement to go up in your role
Great place to work. The work is demanding but manageable. The people are great. I would recommend working for this organization any day. Staff is always treated with respect and always accommodating.
Best staff and students to work with in Waterloo Region. Caring and involved administration and excellent EAP package. Very professional, collaborative and inclusive.
Some schools have better leadership than others, but everyone I’ve encountered has been kind and very welcoming. Work is challenging enough and I feel comfortable asking questions or seeking clarification. We’re kept busy/engaged.
If helping students is for you, this is a great place to be! From schools to Board Offices, from Kindergarten to seniors, many can learn with the WCDSB!
Pros
Satisfaction with helping others succede
Cons
Salary can be better
-very challenging
-expected to work back to back shifts

-travelling to all schools in the area

-can work days then evening then again called back in for days

- 6mths for probation but not usually offered a permanent shift will be expected to be on call until a part time permanent shift is offered. this has taken some up to 5yrs.

-management can be challenging

-benefit potential is good if you ever reach full time status but it is rare.
Pros
limited
Cons
can work 24/7
good workplace. the other staff were all friendly and helpful. the work was necessary and was a safe environment. i learned proper office procedures and rules.
Great working with special needs and behavioral challenged children but can be very draining also. I loved working with the children. To see their faces light up when they succeed in something is very rewarding. The politics and the major cut backs happening right now has me a little upset. They are taking lots of resources away from the children.
Pros
Watching the children succeed
Cons
Only 6hrs/day and no pay during summer and other holidays
The administration team I worked for were exceptional. They were approachable, helpful, professional and willing to assist in any way they could whether it was professional or personal.
A typical day really varied as a teacher. It was unpredictable when you are teaching three classes of 20+ students. I would say that would be the most challenging part of my job is the unknown in a classroom environment.

I enjoyed working with my colleagues, interacting and sharing resources. As well, collaborating ideas with other teachers in my department and coming up with new lesson plans, tests and assignments.

I also very much enjoyed interacting with students, getting to know them on a personal level. As a teacher, it is always rewarding to see them grow and development within a semester/year.
Pros
Never a dull moment, as an educator, you are always learning, developing relationships with students and colleagues
Cons
Marking at times took many hours
I like to work here with my team members of the IT department. I collaborative work here with them and learning lots of new things every day.
I assist a customizable and innovative Content Management System in WordPress for the main WCDSB board office and other 45 elementary schools and secondary schools.

I Create a hierarchy structure for a new website to provide maximum user experience while maintaining the W3C standards and AODA.

I love to spend time with my colleagues during my office hour.

I am enhancing my knowledge and having growth in my skills after joining this organization.
I work with children that are ages 4-13. My typical day is working with students that have some type of learn problem or has been diagnose with Autism.
Really enjoy working as an educational Assistant with the wcdsb. I love the all- inclusive learning environment and the faith based atmosphere &
Working with people as a collaborative team member!
Applied to this Board because of the job description and the separation from Educational Assistant from Child and Youth Work positions. Most Boards do not know the difference and we're all put into one category; the Waterloo Catholic District Board has made attempts to separate not only the pay but also the job description. Hardest part of ANY board is getting in; sometimes it'll take years to get into a full time permanent position. Have to supply until you get through with no benefits......
Pros
Identified CYW's Used for our Expertise; 40 hour weeks
Cons
No benefits and takes time to get in to a Permanent full-time position
Working as a supply means being flexible and being able to adapt to new situations quickly. This is difficult sometimes because you get to work with a student and learn about them, and then you are at another school the next day with a new student. You are working with different students everyday, facing different challenges. The teachers and other employees at the schools are super helpful when working with these students. Its a warm and welcoming environment.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not full time
A typical day at work was constantly having to multi-task the various duties of the job. I learned how time management is crucial in the IT field.
Dealing with Children's behaviours and disabilities on a daily basis. Helping to educate children with disabilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the kids get what you are trying to teach them. I loved being part of the social aspect of the school, planning social events.
I have learned so much in this job, mostly patience.

I love Special Education, but miss the office aspect of the jobs I use to do.
Pros
summers off
Cons
not being able to take a holiday when you need it or want it
Supported youth living in the Lutherwood group home. Offered 1:1 counselling when needed, while recording all necessary paperwork. Maintained open relationships and communication with staff members.
Pros
youth
Cons
A typical work day is to complete student attendance, answer phones, greet parents and complete parents' request with respect to their children, administer medications by following instructions. Contact school buses regarding kids. Act on any requisitions by principals in the schools. Record accidents in accident log.
Pros
Enjoy work in the office as you are in one in charge other than the principal, assist teachers if need be.
Cons
Not challenging at times, supply binder is missing important information
I thoroughly enjoy my job because I get to help students. I have learned through my years as a supply teacher and also through my work as an instructor therapist, where I worked with children with Autism, that every student has the potential to understand/accomplish anything that they put their minds to if they are supported and given the resources needed.
I have not worked many hours with the Waterloo Catholic District School Board. Based on my limited experience I have enjoyed my job. A typical day at work is directed by the delegation of the teacher or principle. I would assist students in their school work. Some students required assistance with toileting. It is my job to ensure the well being of the student and help them to achieve their learning goals. My coworkers have been an outstanding support and have also taught me how to be more effective in my role.
The hardest part of the job is the inconsistent hours and job opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with a team to achieve a goal of assisting a student in their education.
Pros
room for advancement and various opportunities, ideal hours for family life, coworkers to collaborate with, an atmosphere to continue in my own learning and improvement.
Cons
supply/casual work does not always provide consistent hours, are required to go to many different locations weekly, it is difficult to establish working relationships.
Start early, out early. I learned you continually need to upgrade. Management is based on individual sites. Co-workers are usually team players, for the good of all. Hardest part of job is continually being taken from one school to another. Most enjoyable part is satisfaction in helping children become independent one skill at a time.