Waste Management
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Canada332 reviews

Found 332 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,653 reviews

Good company with nice benefits

Best company in the industry, safety first, friendly staff and managers. Nice and helpful coworkers. Good compensation and lots of works if you need more.

Pros

Safety first culture, Good compensation.

Cons

Regulations.

Amazing

The best place to work at Everything is good about the company.However as an employee be very wary of who you have as a route manager.I had a good experience working there, but the downfall of the job is advancement is difficult. I was treated fairly and paid well. this is a great starter job that typically pays 25 plus an hour.

Run by accountants, poor man management.

Good pension plan, that's about it. Management is dictated by bean counters who see bottom line only.I saw several maintenance/parts decisions driven by policy, not local needs. My "goals" for the next year were never my own, despite being intended that way, at least on paper.Big Brother oversight, working for a huge machine as a unimportant pawn is for you with Waste Management

Pros

Good pension and benefits. Really very little else.

Cons

Soulless narcissists running the show, policy driven decisions coming from afar with no local adjustment for weather or conditions.

Not fun work place

Are used to be the best place to work till they put cameras in your trucks and when they didn’t like you anymore they were look at the cameras and get rid of you for any minor thing

Pros

Ok money

Cons

Camera in truck

Management are puppets, all control is out of Texas

Favoritism goes to women.Management is a joke.They couldn't manage to shake their own hand, without head office in Texas approval.The machines are falling apart, and in constant disrepair.There's no such thing as preventative maintenance, let alone maintenance in general.

Pros

Cons

The CONS are managing the company, on all levels!!

Conditions de travail

La sécurité des employés est leurs priorités #1 parcontre l'entretient de la flotte de camion est complètement nulle, la mécaniques des camions est désuète et la propreté intérieur est dégueulasse. Avant de pouvoir décoller le matin tu peux te rendre jusqu'à 2-3 inspection de camions avant d'en trouver un potable qui fonctionne. Pour la gestion des routes et la distribution de la journée c'est de l'improvisation rien de planifié a l'avance. Malgré le bon salaires ils ne parviennent pas a garder les employés payé a l'heure et n'ont aucun respect pour eux. La publicité pour engager du personnel est trompeuses car ils n'ont presque pas de camion de disponible et c'est loin d'être comme les belle vidéos qui nous montre sur YouTube. Durant l'été des heures a n'en plus finir et l'hiver entre 25 a 30 heures semaines ceci dit selon mon expérience vécu

Rain or shine, physical work, overtime, work independently

Very physically demanding - heavy lifting, fast paced, heavy work loads, long shifts, overtime. Work independently, requires self accountability. Great employee culture and extensive safety procedures.Overall, a great place to work if you’re a hard worker with a positive mindset. Pros: Overtime, some work wear supplied, boot allowance, benefits, inclusive workplace, independent workplace, safety, opportunity to grow, newer fleet, immense list of employee discounts Cons: Unpaid breaks/lunch, non-negotiable pay

Tough place to work. Discipline and pressure to perform at top of list. Cameras in all vehicles.

At the beginning of my career at WM it was the place to work. You were considered fortunate to get an opportunity to work for the elite waste company. Now it’s just like any other waste company, with a strict focus on discipline. Unless the management style changes to a more collaborative environment. I do not recommend working here. There are many jobs in the waste sector. Choose a different company.

Staff overworked , good people but not enough support

The team itself is like family. They’re lucky to have many good people on the front lines. Workload is incredibly high where you’re expected to be a robot and not a human. Management micromanages and creates a toxic work environment. High level of employee attrition due to stress , workload and culture. It’s who you know and who likes you that can make things bearable or not. Treated as though you are a number and not a human.

Pros

The staff that remain are lovely people. You are paid a living wage and benefits.

Cons

Heavy workload. Micromanaged. Toxic environment. Managers who scream or name call.

Good pay with serious micromanagement

Good place to work. Some managers are only interested in getting the job done no matter what to get their bonuses.

Pros

4/10 work week

Cons

Cheap trucks. Rough, small cabs

Travail très physique mais très agréable. Le personnel, les collègues super sympas. Belle culture d'entreprise.

Aucun regret de mon expérience si ce n'est d'être rester plus longtemps. A coup sûr j'y retournerai.

Pros

Travail, collègues

Cons

Nécessite une bonne condition physique 🙂

Terrible work-life balance

hire you saying 4 days of 10 hours work. then tell you that you are obligated to work every day they are open. "we don't have enough workers, so cancel your appointment(doctor, roofer, whatever!), you are scheduled to work.No help from the union. Management posts next week schedule on Friday, that is when you learn if you have a day off next week to make an appointment.

Pros

pay is decent

Cons

long hours, poor work-life balance

Fun environment

First of all when I showed for my interview, the person who was supposed to hold it was not there and did not pass on my information…Was hired for full time internet fulfillment. NOT to baby sit 2 other young part timers hired before me, or baby sit an elderly man who can’t use computers , which is a tool used for every single order …They’ll ask why are these orders not filled or completed. I was one person doing an entire departments job.When bringing up issues and problems to the store supervisor I was told to kick them in gear and train them more ….. when I said wasn’t hired to be a supervisor or manager I was told “ you’re the full time Employee so it’s up to you.” Hard no from me. If you wanted me to do that level of work maybe explain that in the interview AND a pay that matches the work level.They never had any support available , you’ll be waiting 20 minutes while customers are standing there in front of your annoyed. You’ll be expected to do so much more than your own work load as they are extremely understaffed.

Pros

Salary

Cons

weekends

Inclusive

Made the transition to WM a while back and couldn't be happier. My particular district is very inclusive & seems to value input. Great company culture.

Pros

Culture. Pay. Benefits.

Cons

Centralized departments creates silos, needs more hands at district levels.(Ex: Centralized dispatch, Centralized Ap AR)

Please don't work here

Horrible place to work where the doggers are catered to and the hard workers are taken advantage of, management is absolutely horrible. Do yourself a favor and find something, anything else.

Pros

Cons

Bad management, low pay.

Bad bad bad

Over worked under appreciated. Poor management. Not my problem attitude. Equipment is broke down on roadside more than it is driving. Only benefits if you've got seniority.

Cons

It was a fun place to work

Good group of guys and women there team like environment every one helps each other out the management was easy to get along with fun place to work wish I had not left

Pros

4 day work week

Cons

Some long days

Enjoyable

It was good. Just I never got hired on. The contract is to short only one thousand hours and if you don't get offered a job your out the door and have to wait two years to go back.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Cold

if you like physical work in the elements this job is for you

The residential recycler is often called an industrial athlete, because thats exactly what you are. If you like being outside in all types of whether and enjoy physical challenging work, then this job is for you.

Pros

4 day work week, great co-workers

Cons

Fast paced, very physically demanding, repetitive

Worst company I've ever worked for!

I was a recycling collector for a number of years and have worked in multiple municipalies. I started at Waste Management after the previous company I was employed with lost their contract. Waste Management is the absolute worst company I've EVER worked for. The pay is less than I got for doing half the the work I used to at the previous company. Their trucks are terrible, The general morale is terrible, The union won't help you in the slightest when you need them (been waiting months to hear back from a greivance) and managements attitude towards their employees is as if their always out to get you and then they wonder why they can't find driver's. It got to the point where they were so desperate they were offering to pay for new hires DZ licences! Working here you can also expect to have a LYTX drivecam in your face all day so if you so much as hit a bump or apply the brakes hard that footage gets sent to management and you better hope you weren't following too close because that's one of the several rules they escalated to automatic termination. Basically if they have any issue with you they will find a way to quickly fire you. In my case it was a couple weeks after mentioning a possible medical condition that I was fired for "tampering with a safety device" for having a gatorade bottle cap resting on top of the tailgate alarm speaker... I had never recieved any disciplinary action prior and I worked my a** off for them but "coincidentally" as soon as they found out I might be an issue I was gone.

Work work work

The harder you work the more work you get. Pay union dues for nothing. They want you at work 15 minutes before work but won’t get paid for it. Automatically deduct lunch. Zero family life, if you want to work 12 hrs per day 6 days a week. This place is for you

Pros

They have work

Cons

Management doesn’t care about you, just another number in a big corporation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Management. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement