Waste Management

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Some days can be long and the jobs can be tough in all lines of business. The company is very safety oriented and do strive to instill that culture into each employee. WM is a corporation and there are many targets to hit ie; safety, quality of service, efficiency and of course financial. When Managers and front line employees work together these goals are all achievable. It is a great company to work for, but you have to be a team player, have a good work ethic and actually care about what you do day to day. There is also typically lots of room for advancement for these types of employees. Unfortunately most people now a days will not except accountability, hence most of the bad reviews. They talk the talk, but can't walk the walk!
Pros
Great staff, strong safety culture, good pay/benifits
Cons
Long hours, getting the job done can be tough
Money is fine They go by the seniority in the yardCamera in the truckSilly safety rules very unfairtrucks in poor shape Very poor managementUnion Hours are fine
Pros
Hourly rate
Cons
Camera in the truck
Waste management is a great company to work for in a bigger city centre's only as their business plan doesn't work in population less then a million people. They offer the highest wage , benefits and pension for local city haul. The condition of their equipment is hit and miss you either get great trucks or trucks that have passed there life . I loved working for this company just had to quit as there is no local work in Saskatchewan. You pretty much have to travel all over living in hotels and eating fast food to get your 40 hrs of work.
Pros
Great pay benifits pension
Cons
Lack of work, always traveling, business keeps shrinking
Terrible experience. If you can avoid working there is suggest it. Worked to death. Managers don't care about you your health or your safety. They just want the job done.
route manager on power trip. his way or the highway. do not work here if you want to stay saine.extremly stressful.you will NOT have a home life.again DO NOT WORK HERE......
Run, do not pass go! This is one workplace, at least back then that was so toxic for managers and senior management had no clear vision or direction. No operational meetings were held, no continuous improvement program in place leaving the union to dictate to managers. This resulted in long hours, think 12 to 14 hour work days. Again, do not, I repeat, work here!
Pros
A job, not a career. A fill gap work
Cons
Thought nobody would be laid off due to covid, managers lie constantly and you can never get a compliment. your always rushed and it is so micromanaged, you don't feel appreciated or trusted.
Pros
There is no lunch breaks.
Cons
Your always rushed, you can always do better.
Managers create a safety first atmosphere but the reality is just get the truck on the road without regard for driver safety or ministry standards. Mechanics don’t look out for each other the first chance they get is to try and defect and accuse to look better to management, driver comes to the shop and treated like there bothering them. Managers are brutal .
Pros
Tool allowance
Cons
Shop is a disaster
Was no direction from upper management and union was more of a problem then the company its self.To high paced and pressure to go faster and faster. Not much room to advance
Very good environment to work with, nice people around and the management. If I have another chance to work with the company I am willing to work again.
Good people good environment. Management is mediocre but it's a huge company if you don't like your boss you can get a transfer. Overall decent career spot.
It was an interesting workplace, each day was different and I got to meet many lovely characters. It was a fulfilling job, just not a lifetime career for myself.
Pros
Every day was different
Cons
The commute was long and complicated.
i enjoyed starting my apprenticeship with waste and for the year i was there i enjoyed it. only reason i left was to get more experience in different areas of the trade. and that was the reason i left. only down side was finding out few months ago i was put on a do not hire list because i ledt.
Pros
people, good company, great pay
Cons
being put on a do not hire list is no fun.
Constantly been watched,by management and camera's. Have to work fast. Junior workers do most of the extra work. Mostly poor equipment for a large company.trucks break down alot. Still have to complete route.
To many boss not enough right answers. They leave you in the dark after training. Hard to get right answer and location. To dump dispatch is out of Seattle to far away from where we work......
Cons
1) TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT. REVOLVING DOOR. In the past 5 years, there have been 5-6 people who were hired and left. Nobody stays a full year in this place. This is a 6-month job. You will never sell anything in SK bc the people trust the competitor. This company has made terrible decisions in the past and has upset too many people in SK, including C-level executives of major companies so they do not want to do business with WM. The guy in charge locally will tell you (along with the person who trains everyone, from Calgary) that you need to fill your CRM as much as possible and you need to get contract expiration dates from as many businesses as possible. This way, after they make your life impossible, his childhood friend (who also works in saskatoon) will take over and sell to the customers you created in the CRM. COMPANY CULTURE is just toxic. Constant fights and “training sessions” where people are singled out and called derogatory names. This job is perfect for you if you know nothing about sales, if you’re unemployed or if you have low IQ/AQ. TELEMARKETING you will be told which words are strong and which words are weak; you will be expected to memorize a set of words that is approved and you will have to stay on the phone, calling different companies and repeating that set of words. If you deviate from that specific set of words, you will be singled out. NO TERRITORY territory is just a word in this company; anyone can sell in SK; the guy in charge will allow his friends from other provinces to sell in SK and you will never see commissions from that. 5) NO COMMISSIONS - more...
Good work for the money. I been in the waste industry for many years and started with Waste Management. Didnt always agree with management but you will find that every place you work. I'd still be working for them had I not wanted to move back to my home town and unfortunately they did not have an opening and a competitive company did. Though I do regret not waiting. Equipment was a bit older as it seemed they get the old equipment from the states however I do see them picking up new trucks now and again. The stuff I worked with was at the time 5-6 years old and I think they dont normally keep them long after that. Worked with a lot of good people and had an over all good experience with the company.
Waste Management is very focused on safety. Safety of their customer, employees and the public. The biggest and most important thing is that you are doing your job safely and if you're ever unsure, call a Route Manager, District Manager or another driver for guidance. They pay well and the best part is you're home nightly
Management was uneducated in fleet repair and unresponsive to constructive critisism at the site i was in. Maintenance mgr was not from the trucking industry and would not work with people that had 30 years plus experience .
I was there for 6 months. A manager from a different location down south came up and saw me, saw my face and body tattoos, I was let go the next day by my supervisor. I was told upon my firing that it was due to my appearance
Work takes precedence here, 12 hour days are common, no life. Managers of routes, do not manage anything, you decide your route, because they don't have a clue
  1. Employee reviews