Waste Management
Updates from Waste Management:

Waste Management Employee Reviews

Canada288 reviews
Miss it
Good people good environment. Management is mediocre but it's a huge company if you don't like your boss you can get a transfer. Overall decent career spot.
Very good company
Very good environment to work with, nice people around and the management. If I have another chance to work with the company I am willing to work again.
Dynamic workplace
It was an interesting workplace, each day was different and I got to meet many lovely characters. It was a fulfilling job, just not a lifetime career for myself.
Pros
Every day was different
Cons
The commute was long and complicated.
overall good expirience
i enjoyed starting my apprenticeship with waste and for the year i was there i enjoyed it. only reason i left was to get more experience in different areas of the trade. and that was the reason i left. only down side was finding out few months ago i was put on a do not hire list because i ledt.
Pros
people, good company, great pay
Cons
being put on a do not hire list is no fun.
Big brother
Constantly been watched,by management and camera's. Have to work fast. Junior workers do most of the extra work. Mostly poor equipment for a large company.trucks break down alot. Still have to complete route.
Driver Roll Off
To many boss not enough right answers. They leave you in the dark after training. Hard to get right answer and location. To dump dispatch is out of Seattle to far away from where we work......
Cons
Toxic "little boy club", revolving door
1) TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT. REVOLVING DOOR. In the past 5 years, there have been 5-6 people who were hired and left. Nobody stays a full year in this place. This is a 6-month job. You will never sell anything in SK bc the people trust the competitor. This company has made terrible decisions in the past and has upset too many people in SK, including C-level executives of major companies so they do not want to do business with WM. The guy in charge locally will tell you (along with the person who trains everyone, from Calgary) that you need to fill your CRM as much as possible and you need to get contract expiration dates from as many businesses as possible. This way, after they make your life impossible, his childhood friend (who also works in saskatoon) will take over and sell to the customers you created in the CRM.

COMPANY CULTURE is just toxic. Constant fights and “training sessions” where people are singled out and called derogatory names. This job is perfect for you if you know nothing about sales, if you’re unemployed or if you have low IQ/AQ. TELEMARKETING you will be told which words are strong and which words are weak; you will be expected to memorize a set of words that is approved and you will have to stay on the phone, calling different companies and repeating that set of words. If you deviate from that specific set of words, you will be singled out. NO TERRITORY territory is just a word in this company; anyone can sell in SK; the guy in charge will allow his friends from other provinces to sell in SK and you will never see commissions from that.

5) NO COMMISSIONS
 - more...
Its Good Work
Good work for the money. I been in the waste industry for many years and started with Waste Management. Didnt always agree with management but you will find that every place you work. I'd still be working for them had I not wanted to move back to my home town and unfortunately they did not have an opening and a competitive company did. Though I do regret not waiting.

Equipment was a bit older as it seemed they get the old equipment from the states however I do see them picking up new trucks now and again. The stuff I worked with was at the time 5-6 years old and I think they dont normally keep them long after that.

Worked with a lot of good people and had an over all good experience with the company.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Waste Management?
Decent
Waste Management is very focused on safety. Safety of their customer, employees and the public. The biggest and most important thing is that you are doing your job safely and if you're ever unsure, call a Route Manager, District Manager or another driver for guidance. They pay well and the best part is you're home nightly
2nd time at this facility, great to reconnect with old friends
Management was uneducated in fleet repair and unresponsive to constructive critisism at the site i was in.
Maintenance mgr was not from the trucking industry and would not work with people that had 30 years plus experience

I was discriminated against for the way i looked by management
I was there for 6 months. A manager from a different location down south came up and saw me, saw my face and body tattoos, I was let go the next day by my supervisor. I was told upon my firing that it was due to my appearance
lots of work
Work takes precedence here, 12 hour days are common, no life. Managers of routes, do not manage anything, you decide your route, because they don't have a clue
Is all about work
Waste management has a way to welcome workers which stands as a preferred job, early to work close on time. Possibly the weather changes is the only hardest moment to work, aside this all the rest is a happy moment to work and the work team supporting each other. Time won't permit me to talk about holidays, off days alot
en général
Travaille agréable et sécuritaire ,j" ai transformer des équipes de conducteurs et aide éboueur qui a fait sauver des heures de moins sur la route et un travaille mieux fait toujours en communication avec la ville.
Great place to work early morning start times are anywhere ftom 4 am to 6am ! Days are usually 10 to 12 hrs long !
Waste Management is a very good company to work for they treat well. They also have great benefits. Most of the equipment are newer trucks well maintained, they have a great safety program!
Can be toxic work environment
Note that people make any place better or worst and sadly the people aren't great. There aren't more bad then good. Toxic environment. I stay until i find something closer to home or something that pays more. Don't have any "friends" at the job. been there for a few years and can say the hardest part aren't the customers.
It's good, so long as you're working with the right people.
I had an okay time working at waste managment; I especially enjoyed having full time hours, working extended shifts, 4 days a week as opposed to a regular 5 day workweek.
Pros
4 Day Workweek, Steady Job, Room for Growth & Promotion
Cons
Kind of Gross, Managment is unorganized, Getting a proper paycheck is usually problematic, Managment needs to fix paystubs almost every time
Chose to leave
I chose to leave Waste Management because of stressful environment, manager I was working with & lack of job security because of the regular changes to whole departments
great benefits good wage
It’s a good place to work all the guys are good guys management is easy to get along with but with the camera’s and some of the other rules that NO other company has you feel like a little kid and I’m 50
Pros
Great wage and pension
Cons
Too many rules it’s ridiculous
Good place to work with incentives to do well.
Company treated employees well, pay and benefits were appropriate.Some disconnect between area managers with each worried about their individual division budgets which somewhat limited communication between groups.
Good and bad place to work like any job
Some managers are good some are not. Don’t get on the bad side of office/ manager because work will be crappie keep your nose clean and things go smoother. Pays the bills
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Management. Our community is ready to answer.
1.3K