Waste Connections Employee Reviews

internship
Outside sales intern (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WA23 April 2018
this was my internship during my summer break. i gains a lot of skills such as self management, sales performance, data analysis. it was a great resume builder that prepared me for my career path.
Smoke and Mirrors
Not Important (Current Employee) –  Not important23 April 2018
Don't let them fool you with their lies about "company culture". It's all smoke and mirrors. Management is cutthroat and if you're not in the "good ole boy" club you can consider your job temporary. This is a company that has become nothing but numbers and corporate bureaucracy. If that's the kind of environment you enjoy then you will love Waste Connections.
Pros
Good benefits, Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible management, Corporate bureaucracy
Great Management and family atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oregon22 April 2018
Great family atmosphere. Very busy and customers are the most horrible I have ever encountered in any job I have ever held. I have been called every name in the book and screamed at. You must have thick skin. Pretty good pay but the rate of raises is about 2% per year which is not nearly enough considering the amount of stress and responsibility we have to deal with.
Pros
Everyone takes care of everyone.
Cons
No room for growth and pay is not what it should be for how much responsibility we have.
Productive Workplace
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL15 April 2018
The drivers are wonderful. Management not so much. Its all about safety until it becomes about money or safety. Then it becomes about the money.......
Lack of leadership/ long hard days.unsafe workplace
Driver (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TN13 April 2018
Work Day is 12hrs per day sometimes more some less. Poor equipment to do the job and a leadership team that does not care for their people. Sad as I always thought Knoxville Was a great location.No manager on site When we leave out in the morning no one talking to the team members daily. Leaders just don’t care about the people they are supposed to lead. Could be a great place to work with different leadership.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Long hours, poor leaders.
Great company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Meno, OK13 April 2018
Great job for anyone that wants to be home with their family and make a decent amount of money to provide for your family. Great group of guys to work with.
Great Place to Work for
AP/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PA12 April 2018
Great staff and excellent pay. Fellow employees very helpful and work great as a team. Lot to learn if you've never worked in the waste industry. Great management to assist you.
Poor Management
General Laborer Helper Duties (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OR6 April 2018
No room for growth, any and all corners will be cut, one person has to do all the stuff most people don't want to do. "no one has job titles" so they can make you do whatever they want.
bitter sweet
DIESEL MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN26 March 2018
needs better management. good place to work at first, then they got a manager on a power trip, also encouraged work place bullying, also dont respect religious views of others.
It was a great place to work over all , with a few downs
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TX26 March 2018
The job at waste connection was a great place to learn and grow . The daily requirement were demanding ,but it help a person become more efficient at the job . I received some needed certifications while working there . Met some get people and became lead mechanic . Just a great experience.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Long hours, No time with my family
Great company
Front Load Driver (Current Employee) –  Haltom City, TX25 March 2018
Company takes care of employees great pay long hours good management good work culture. If you work hard and do whats asked its a great place to work would recomend
Pros
Great benefits great pay
Very poor management...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, AL20 March 2018
If you want experience in multi-tasking and no training this is the place for you. Turn over is the first red flag and lack of training is the second. We live and learn but look at all the reviews before you get yourself in this type of work environment.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No training
productive and fun company
Roll-off driver (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CO19 March 2018
If you show up and do your job and focus on priories getting done it is an awesome place to be. the guys are funny and they reward you for all your efforts. bbqs, games, bonuses, games.
Pros
everything you work hard for is given back in respect and fun by the company
Cons
progression
Good money because of the overtime
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO14 March 2018
Routes are planned so that you're on the clock 11+ hours each day even if you hustle. I've done rolloff, residential (manual and automated), and a bit of commercial in a rear loader and it's this way in everything. After 10 hours in that same frickin seat you're hungry, tired, more easily frustrated, and providing low quality service. not to mention missing out on a life. I've heard this isn't how WC is everywhere, but it's business as usual for drivers at any of the three Denver locations. I worked only 9-10 each day at a different trash company and, trust me, it's a huge difference...

Mechanics are above average, it helps to develop a relationship with each of them if you want their respect.

Management is really competent but not as proactive as I'd like. In all honesty I could complain about the hours, and I imagine they would listen, but it doesn't reflect well on anybody to be a whiner. And who wants to be the one guy who gets out early and is disliked by each of his coworkers.

Drivecam is more tolerable than I thought it'd be. This was my first experience working anywhere with rules about following distance, eating/texting while driving, and a camera on the windshield facing you to enforce it. But most of the rules make sense and aren't terribly hard to follow, therefore Drivecam didn't bother me. Where I work we have free breakfast or lunch 1-2x a month and financial incentives that encourage/reward us when we collectively avoid accidents and incidents. It's pretty great.

Advancement opportunity is certainly there, most people who were promoted deserved to
  more... be; they're smart, know the ropes and will get in a truck when needed. There might only be promotion opportunity if you move though. People from Colorado seem to go to Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, or one of the Dakotas.

Overall I'd recommend WC, especially if you're used to oilfield hours or found yourself with kids and a mortgage..meaning you need the $$. If you want 60 hours each week, you just have to ask.
Pros
Good pay, Meals, Management
Cons
60 hour weeks
Pay not good enough for work performed.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Scotland, PA10 March 2018
Would never work for them again. Work was not apprieciated. Management would not listen to what you had to tell them on problems with the machine due to not wanting to shut machine down.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Low pay
Ban managment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Westwego, LA1 March 2018
Its a good pay job and have great benfits...managment is very poor and dont treat drivers with respect...but the driver crew are fun to work with.supervior was nice to
Would not recommend
Maintenance manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LA1 March 2018
District manager and district maintenance manager only care about themselves. They will take money from your budget to cover their mistakes.They are shady as can be. . Operations manager is lazy as every always wanting to put his job off on other people. Truly the worst place I have ever worked due to the buddy buddy stuff with the DM and DMM.
Pros
Cons
None.
Good work environment
Helper/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TX22 February 2018
Be ready to work and got to be physically fit to be able to keep up to be a helper. Be ready for any work conditiontions rainy cold or hot. Guarnteed to work alot of hours and get paid weekly. Job has its ups and down just like any job but guaranteed to get a check.
Pros
Get paid every week
Cons
Long drive to work from mineral wells.
Hectic
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Iowa Park, TX12 February 2018
Not enough training. I initially went in for another position. If you like being a customer service representative, this job is for you. Almost impossible to do paperwork and be on the phone 80% of the time.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Really fast work environment nonstop
Groundsman (Current Employee) –  Leesville, LA11 February 2018
I would recommend people that wirk here make sure you have energy cause its nonstop from 5am until you're done with your route, or if you just want to get out of the house.
Pros
Work at your own pace, meet new people out in public
Cons
Hardly have time for a break rushing throughout the day no time dor rest

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Waste Connections. Our community is ready to answer.