WASTE CONNECTIONS OF CANADA Employee Reviews

The grass isn't always greener
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 May 2018
All in all this has been the best job I've had. It's not always perfect, no job is. But it is stable, good pay, challenging work and they've really changed their culture and seem to sincerely strive to train us to be better drivers, better people.
I left my role and worked elsewhere for a while, that experience made me realize how great it was, I was given my old job back and I am happy for that.
Pros
social activities, pay, benefits, bonuses, training programs
Cons
coworkers are arrogant/entitled, management should let go of the bad apples
It was a great place to work
FEL Driver (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON20 April 2018
Safety first
Driver accountability
A typical day would be that you clock in, get your paperwork, go to your truck and do your circle check. Go do your route marking any complications as you go. when complete, dump out, fuel up and circle check your truck again. any problems report on DVIR and hand it in. Report to dispatch and go over route with dispatch. Clock out.
No culture no values
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 April 2018
Company does not operate according to the 4 values preached. Servant Leadship does not exist at Head Office. Employees are overworked and under paid.
Pros
Cons
Untrustworthy
Don't work here if u want an easy job
Side load driver (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 April 2018
The days are long with broken trucks , management issues. And staff that fight. It's like high school all over again. The pay is good and the benfits are alright. If you need to get experience driving this company will give you that.
Pros
Benfits, pay, free uniform
Cons
Long hours. Management, trucks
Great Culture. Great compensation. Overall great place to work.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 March 2018
Waste Connections really is a great place to work. I have been employed with the company for only 2.5 years but at the same location for 20 years and our company was acquired through an acquisition in 2016. Over the years I have worked for 3 other companies which have all been sold but I remained on with the new company. I speak from experience when I say that out of the multiple companies I have worked for, Waste Connections is the one that I can truly say cares about its people. The Servant Leadership culture has taught me a lot about how to be a better manager and also a better person in gereral. I have read a lot of the other reviews on Indeed about our company and I noted that most of the bad ones came from former employees who likely couldn't get on board with company expectations or culture. Their loss. If you are considering making the jump - DO IT! You won't be dissapointed!
Pros
Culture. Compensation. Stability. You get to make your own decisions.
Cons
Work-life balance but it's partially my own fault!
We hire for Culture!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 February 2018
Honestly, I am very happy to be come to work everyday. It has been the an amazing opportunity to work here. I love the culture of both empowerment and accountability. Waste Connections of Canada will provide with all resources you need to do your job effectively and safely. Our operating values truly reflect our culture and commitment to safety and people.

I am very grateful to be part of this amazing company.
Pros
culture, values and good benefits
Awful company - do not work here
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 February 2018
Worst mismanaged company I have ever worked at. Management plays favorites and if you're not one of the favorites, you are treated like garbage. The workplace is toxic and you will be fired if management doesn't like you, despite being unionized.
Prepare to do everyone’s work
Curbside Driver (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 January 2018
Plenty of hours at this place, you’ll be required to help everyone with their routes. When you work here remember garbage and recycling comes first not your safety. You’re always wrong and management is always right!
Pros
The co workers and benefits
Cons
Need a raise for the work we do
Great Place to work loved it!
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 January 2018
Easy Job great place to work as long as you do your job nobody bothers you. The job I did was only temporary so for a temp job it easy excellent. I love it their.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
driving your own car
Pay and benefits are excellent well above average
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Barrie Ontario18 November 2017
Been employed at barrie waste con/progressive waste for 3 years have met some very good peaple here and some duds like anywhere. I work in the shop its basic mechanic work and regular shedual maintenance. Not very challenging the management and formen are technology illiterate lol that will change in time whether they like it or not . I want to stay awhile just to watch them kick and scream into the future. So if you want good money easy work excellent benefits this place is for you . As to shop superiors just ignore them and you will be fine.
Pros
Lots of free food on various occasions
Cons
Shop superiors are of limited knowledge
Constant fear for your job
Roll-off Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 October 2017
The bad:
If you want no work life balance, constant lies, forced to work every Saturday even though their add says otherwise, poor management and even worse mechanics this is the perfect place for you. The most enjoyable part of the job is every Thursday when you get your pay. I honestly wish I could say this is a great place to work but management is just so obsolete that issues don't get fixed.The job itself isn't actually bad. There is a constant fear of losing your job. When you write things up you get laughed at like its a joke. For a company that thrives on safety they sure do take many short cuts.
Company makes you feel bad for taking your breaks. Union is obsolete so if you enjoy giving then $70 a month for little or no return apply now. I could go on for days.

The good;
Pay and Benefits ( See the issue here)
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Poor Everything
Very unstable no security
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 September 2017
If you follow this company aka progressive aka big treat their workers like dirt you feel your job is on the line everyday high turn over writing people up is a hobby for this place $$ and benefits are the only positive from this bottom feeding company
Pros
Money benefits
Cons
Horrible work enviroment
Its a job
Truck mechanic apprentice (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON20 September 2017
Bad work hours, poor atmosphere, Tension between drivers and mechanics. Its a garbage company.. Management doesnt care about employees... I've seen assaults in the shop and when brought to management the response was "he's an old man, what am I to do"
keep looking
MRF Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB26 May 2017
not really anything good to say, the benefits are good..other than that don't waste your time here, there is almost no work life balance, they expect you to come in on days off and work till your sick while most of the other staff do basically nothing. don't even ask about management
Good company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
Working in a busy, fast paced office taking over 100 calls a day today between two customer service representatives. Lots of data entry of new business contracts, existing accounts such as service changes and renewals. Pricing out leads that come in online or over the phone for new permanent business or temporary bin rental sales. Great management, no micro managing. I really enjoy being able to put my sales knowledge to use when customers call inquiring about new business or looking for price changes and or retention calls. I always do my best to close the call rather then transferring to an account representative.
Rebuilding a stronger core
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2017
If the company can rebuild it's office structure, it will make them a force to be reckoned with.

Internal staffing issues have prevented the company from shining has they once have. With key management in place, the company should be able to rebuild for a stronger core.
Pros
Strong pay structure
Cons
Still rebuilding from weak morale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WASTE CONNECTIONS OF CANADA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9