Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews for Sporting Goods Associate

Not a bad place to work if you are in need of work right away but find something better fast, Not a great place work hard for small pay no good benefits just a dead end job.
coworkers helped out a lot on the first couple weeks that i had became a dep manager and helped me get on the right track also the management was supporting and understanding
Although this is a fun place to work it is easy to find yourself overwhelmed with the requirements they some times ask of you. having you do multiple departments.
This company holds a morning meeting in which they brag about the millions of dollars they are making, all while paying you minimum wage & expecting perfect work. After a year of work they offer you a 12 Cent raise. As if that will help even remotely. This company is known for buying from manufacturers who promote child labour. I cannot condone that. No longer buy from there, would never re-apply. Costco pays WAY better and theres actual room for advancing your salary, so i would say skip the bull and go straight for the money.
Pros
a weak 10% discount
Cons
12 cent raise.
Do not consider if you're coming out of gr.12, Only consider if you're in high school, people are trying to retire from this place and is upsetting to see them so trapped by this companies terrible benefits, and wages.
Cons
They make you do other peoples jobs
I was placed in sporting goods (which I know NOTHING ABOUT) because I was old enough to issue hunting and fishing licenses. No training was provided and no one to help me.
listen how it all work and enjoyed meeting the people and listen happen fishing and tires, batters, paint and tools, the boss were nice and help me anytime
a typical day would be working from 8-4 helping costumers, putting out games, movies, and other stock. I learned how to talk to costumers set up tvs and about tvs. management was good always treated me like another person never made you feel lower than anybody always there if you had a question and answered it to there best abilities. co-workers were good worked well with me and I workered with them. if one couldn't do something tried to do the best to help them out. working till I didn't really like standing around in the same spot getting a lot of manuel work. it was hard to come upon but when theyd ask me id do it.
Pros
getting in long hours
Cons
not alot of work
Lots of customer service, even more working freight, and dealing with a ton of different managers. I learned a great amount of customer service. Management is fairly poor and tiresome to deal with. Co workers can be great but also can be very bothersome. The job is beyond easy in every aspect.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
poor scheduling
It was a good job for that time period met new people everyday. Was the only one who worked in sporting goods section. Good experience.
My typical day at work would, to start i would stock items that have been returned or out of place. Look at that days goals to be completed. help any customers find things. Sometimes look after automotive and hardware while looking after my own section. Keep workplace neat and clean.I learned how to run the till at my section. how to sell WIN card, hunting licenses, fishing licenses, and hunting tags. Also learned how to mix paint in hardware.The management was pretty friendly. The only Problem was that they kept changing the manger for sporting goods and became a little confusing. Sometimes the mangers didn't understand the requirements they set for the employees by asking to much of them.I my co-workers were all pretty friendly, and very helpful in training me during my first two weeks till the end of my employment there. Some employees just didn't care about the work they were putting in there.the hardest thing part of my job was trying to train a employee who didn't speak English. i would tell him to do something and asked him if he understood me,he would say yes. but he would do it wrong. that was super annoying.The part i enjoyed most about work was the work. I enjoying working, it balances my mood out. I also liked the mangers and my co-workers.
Pros
nice mangers
Cons
1 hour long lunches, don't care if employees show up for work, short staffed
Wal-Mart was an excellent place to work while in school. I was uble to get an understanding about how to balance work life and home life prior to starting my next career opportunity.I really enjoyed my time with Wal-Mart.
Pros
flexible hours for school
Cons
no cons to that i can think of
  1. Sporting Goods Associate