Walmart Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 439 reviews matching the search See all 161,260 reviews
nice staff terrible management
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge15 December 2018
the staff is really nice but the managers are terrible. it is a hostile work environment. personal lives of workers are not considered at all and managers are always changing. it is an unsteady workplace that allows no employee to feel confident that they can express legitimate concerns. i do not recommend working there at all!
Pros
reasonable breaks
Cons
inconsiderable work schedules
A typical day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON9 November 2018
A Typical day includes dealing with customers needs, merchandising , setting up displays and merchandise. The most enjoyable part of the job is building relationships with the customers.
If you are desperate for job/money
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB8 November 2018
1) Some managers/supervisors/leads are ok while others not, examples are: bossy, rude and will lecture worker in front of customers
2) Co workers can be ok, however odd one will get to stay in their own area, while others are expected to work/know the entire store
3) None to very little training at all, ask questions along the way
One person who was being 'trained' at till, but the person was too busy bagging to actually learn the job as cashier The cashier was saying press this and that, while new person was bagging. The cashier was repeatedly promoting the Walmart Credit Card.
PA announcements of promotion of Walmart Credit Card, which cashier gets honorable mention (over selling another credit card) and how to follow rules of shopping carts and children being buckled in. After a while, it sounds like brainwashing.
4) Managers ignore availability days/hours; schedule the worker outside of the hours of availability of worker
5) Cannot transfer to another location in same city to another Walmart store; must quit current location then apply to other location
Same company but No Transfers.
6) When given a locker, combination is given out to another employee without approval of the holder of the locker. No privacy.
7) I witnessed an employee get yelled in the staff room,for showing up to work over 1 hour before person's shift.
8) No employee discount (10%) until after 90 days
9) Some managers/leaders will ignore a doctor signed physical limitation forms and expect you to do tasks beyond ability
Pointless adding extra wording to a person's title: customer experience
  more... sales floor associate. Too much for name tag..lol
*You may be hired for a specific position; you are still expected to learn and do other positions (example: sales then be cashier, some merchandising)
Pros
2 days off in a row
Cons
days off not ever a weekend if you are part time
I did not work long enough to actually know the core of the company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON8 November 2018
I am workin in sales in electronics.I have not worked enough time to actually comment on the job nature at Walmart.I feel it is a fairly good work place with not much stress
Not terrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL31 October 2018
For a first job for someone just starting out, you do gain valuable customer service skills and hopefully an unparalleled level of patience to deal with some of the corporate BS.
Pros
Reasonable hours, low expections
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Seasonal and womens wear29 October 2018
Productive and fun place to work, but pay is NOT good. I liked working outside in spring/summer. Garden Center was fast paced and sometimes heavy, but learnt lots about different flowers. In winter I got the option of working indoors in Seasonal. I was never bored as it changed alot...Halloween, X-Mas decor, etc... At the time they also sold aquarium fish and I learnt lots about the different fish and how to care, catch and bag them. I am now a full fledged Aquatic person and love my hobby with my 50 gallon tank of tropical fish!
Pros
people you work with
Cons
poor wage and always have to work weekends
Very negative place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON25 October 2018
Stress every day, overworked and underpaid. Learned a lot about retail. Management wasn't very good and didn't help solve issues. Negative workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the store operations when they were understaffed. Meeting new customers and working with some good people was the best part of the job.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Overworked and under paid
First retail experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 October 2018
This was my first step into a really fast paced work environment. Although it was suppose to be a term position for the Christmas rush. I applied myself to work very hard and be available at a moment notice. Perhaps my desire to be noticed paid off, for soon after I was offered a regular position and went on to do a lot of work in a multitude of environments.Again it it was customer orientated objective. Without the good team that I had to support me,it would be a little tough.I enjoyed the people and what we accomplished when we settled in a being a focused group.
Sales Clerk - Jewelry
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2018
Wal-Mart was a difficult place to work. They paid just over minimum wage. It seemed that we were always short staffed. The supervisor and manager in my area were not bad but I found that people were always worried about staff cuts or hours cut. The store manager cut security to save money but then customers would wheel carts of unpaid merchandise out of the store. Raises were based on the store performance not on our performance. Basically you barely made enough money to keep your head above water. We were not allowed to leave the Jewelry department unattended however, getting someone to relieve you for a break was almost impossible. Almost no recognition for going above and beyond the call of duty. Quite often had to ring groceries through our register even though our work space was not set up for handling groceries. Unfortunately, the store often closed down many of the cash registers which would cause a line up at our register and then our customers became angry and rude.
Pros
10% staff discount
Cons
Missing breaks, miserable customers, poor quality of managers.
okay job, bad hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB11 October 2018
The hours were always 6-10 on the weekends... I couldn't even ask for a weekend off to visit my father an hour away. The managers also picked favorites.
Pros
pizza every now and again
Cons
they put you where they want you whether trained or not.
N/a
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dorval, Quebec, Canada5 October 2018
Working at Walmart Canada was a great experience.
The training process is excellent. A lot of physical work, though the flexible hours are a perk, good benefits.
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC4 October 2018
Amazing place to work at I have no negative reviews because the company is great and everyone is great to work with, this place is great that all I got to say.
semi productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 September 2018
at wal mart i learned to greet people and do customer service while doing my job as a sales associate. i often helped with other departments besides mine. i often handled keys for other sales associates while they were on break to handle change rooms.
Productive and lovable
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2018
Very Good Managment Team, Encourage to work and learn , Very Friendly ,Nice and Lovely atmosphere.Very nice people . I like the most .Very good Health N safety too
Pros
Job sequirity
Cons
Require full Availabilty, No fix time for permanent employee
Basic job,perfect for study
Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  viau18 September 2018
Can easily ask for shift change if you need to work on school or personnal matter (if said in advance) Part time is one of the best job you can get with no stress.Its a good job if you dont care too much about going higher.
A typical day at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS18 September 2018
Waiting on customers and stocking shelves. Walmart is normally very busy so you have to always be on your toes and be able to work in a fast paced environment.
Stay away from Alliston Walmart
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alliston, ON16 September 2018
Coworkers are great. Management is out for themselves. Over worked, hours cut, short staff. No one is held accountable. Untrustworthy managers. Managers have favorites. Store manager is two faced, she will be nice to your face but then get one of the assistant managers to do her dirty work so she doesn’t look like the bad guy. All the hard working employees are leaving there to find other work because of the stuff that goes on, on a daily basis.
Pros
Some coworkers
Cons
Not enough hours, over worked, short staff
Good coworkers terrible management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 September 2018
A typical day at work was productive, the job itself was challenging with room for advancement.
Management was really the only downfall. Incompetent, selfish,and always talking behind their employees back.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Incompetent Management.
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 September 2018
A good employer but like many large corporations, management of staff gets difficult. Understaffing issues happen sometimes and you might be asked to come in (they NEVER forced me to come in) which is good if you need some extra money.
Super fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 September 2018
learned a lot from working at walmart. management were very nice and welcoming. Felt like a second home to me. Very open and honest with me about moving up and being very supportive. Unfortunately moved to a different city or I would still be working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.

543.6K