Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews for Optometric Assistant

The training was very weak and made working difficult because of lack of knowledge. Working with the Optician was good but training was very sporadic which extended the learning curve,
Pros
not working on an assembly line
Cons
learning curve very steep
I would file documents away, asist the doctor and optician in eye exams, call patients, help customers in purchasing glasses. I learned alot of new things in the opticanary industry that i didnt know before. I enjoyed this job very much,
Good place to work Excellent environment Open & Friendly atmosphere Nice management. They help you to progress in your job. On the job training provided.
The pay sucks, the customers are rude but its to be expected considering its Walmart. The only good thing is the hours are pretty flexible since they have so many people employed but not enough hours for everyone.
Great people, great staff, management was more than kind and well. Great coworkers and provided with excellent community feeling.
Pros
good staff
Lots of nice people and you have a good time as long as you're competent. People get promoted to management who probably shouldn't and there's very little consistency between managers.
Pros
Good breaks, profit share, great people.
Cons
Bad management team, no cross department communication
At Walmart you interact with great variety of people. very interracial. busy, busy and busy My co-workers are very dedicated. The hardest part of the job is dealing with peoples behaviors and many demands.
Pros
10% employee discount
Cons
Very low pay
I Loved my position. I Worked with some great people. I enjoyed the customers, many whom returned year after year. We had a lot of ongoing safety training. Some good perks.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
management
Managers were unproductive, difficult to work with and had little to no training. Salary put you well below the poverty line if working part-time but as a supplement to income was manageable. Coworkers were fantastic and usually easy to get along with, very little office politics. Worst part of the job was the customers, I had so many difficult situations I was not prepared for thrown at me. I quit this job because I was so over-worked and stressed out by my manager (who frequently loaded her work onto me) that I ended up having a stress seizure. Most enjoyable part was that break were really great, you had enough time to catch up on homework and relax a little. I had, on the flip side, a great manager who worked part time in my store and part time in another and she was my saviour most of the time. She was smart and funny, very down to earth and made a world of difference to me. I stuck out the bad parts of my job because of her. When she left, it all went down hill.
Pros
Holidays, Break time, Short hours
Cons
Horrible boss, stressful and under-trained, no chances to advance.
Learned the basics of optometry, and made finding glasses fun.
It's Walmart, it's got a bad rap; but in all honesty, it's been a great place to work while I make my way through school. The management in both stores I worked at were appreciative of my efforts, they never gave me a hard time about my school schedule. All in all, despite what you've heard, it's really not the demon company everyone thinks it is.
I enjoy working as A Vision Care Associate. It's challenging yet I feel rewarded at the end of the day. I have a great manger that is very accomodating and flexible with all of his employees. I have great co-workers, in the Vision Centre and surrounding areas within the store
Pros
bonus
Cons
nothing
I have been with wal mart for 5 yrs, i have learned a lot about customer service, also before i transfer to the vision center i had no clue about glasses prescriptions and so on now i can look at a person with glasses and i know what kind of lenses the have or if they are useing contact lenses. I've learned how to work with the different 4 doctors that we have, it has been a great experience.