Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews for Merchandise Manager

I was so happy to start working here and it was everything I expected for the first 4-6 months then it was like I didn't matter anymore I was treated very disrespectful and just hated waking up and having to go to work I finally got out of there and now couldn't be happier at my new job where everyone is noticed and treated with respect
No issues at all since I started working in Walmart. All associates are friendly and helpful whenever needed, positive and respectful. From the entrance gate to the entire shop in every department all associates they are great.
Management is just awful, there are some har deworming assistant managers but not many. For the most part they take credit for the work you do and know very little about the departments they manage. The harder a person works the more they expect. While others get away with doing nothing. Management is cut throat and rarely move people into advancement. They pay very minimal for what they make and often staff are struggling to survive off of their pay checks
Pros
Great group of staff, no Christmas parties or picnics
Cons
Management, advancement, politics
Stressful difficult environment management communication is poor ,the training is not helpful.Most people are not happy there.Would not recommend working there
Pros
Cons
Stressful not enough staff
Morale is low at the store I work at because there is a significant lack of staff, and people willing to work. It makes it hard to want to go into work each day. I used to love working here but the management team expect far too much from people who currently work there.
I worked as sales floor associate and moved up quickly to merchandise manager. I loved my job and my co workers. I would love to work here again . great team players all around.
Pros
discounts
Cons
it was good
You were in charge of multiple departments. It was nice to be in charge and be the duty manager. You had all kinds of responsibility. There was always something to do. The pace was quick. The associates were excellent.
Working at Walmart being a Manager gives you a great learning experience. You learn to work in stressful situations. You learn time-management and work in large groups.
The most enjoyable part of working is the culture of inclusiveness in the company. The least enjoyable is the pay. You get way too much work piled on you and are not payed to reflect the amount of work you actually have to do.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
The pay and management leave somethings to be desired
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Walmart?
Didn't really enjoy my time with the company, but I didn't really expect to. The management is forced to under schedule, because of salary cost restrictions. So your constantly trying to do more than you have people available for.
review back room for stock, most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with a diverse group of customers and associates. doing a job from start to finish and see the progress,
Unfortunately the position I have does not allow for a equal work/life balance. The salary for the amount of work you are expected to do is not sufficient. There is great job security and there are always opportunity for advancement.
very multicultural place to work as if everybody enjoys working with each other. always work out in everybody's schedule and always willing to listen for the needs of their workers. for 3 years I've been in this company I developed my skills most especially in customer service. I gain respect from my superiors and co workers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
more hours
I tried working at walmart to avoid seasonal layoffs but after moving around to some of the other jobs available by them I found that it wasn't really a fit for me. I found there was little appreciation for the work that was done and a very small sense of accomplishment.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
small pay for a large list of expected work.
For myself, a typical work day in my store starts off with: Price Changes Customer Service Reviewing daily paperwork Working in the backroom Redoing modulars Helping out where I am most needed Working in my departments During my time with Wal-Mart i've learned patience with the public, and i've also learned that when I am working the customer service desk when a customer is being truthful or not. I have also worked closely with our Loss Prevention officer, and am able to determine if someone will try to steal the inventory. The management at my store is a little chaotic. Not very many managers communicate with each other, so you have to learn to prioritize what task is the most important, and what task can wait until the end of the day. My co-workers and I get along fabulously! We laugh and work very well together. The hardest part of my job is the paper work. On a daily basis, I have to go through an average of 5 different sales reports, inventory reports, ordering sheets, ext. The most enjoyable part of my job would be customer service. I am a person that absolutely loves to help out other people, listen to customers stories, and just overall have a fun and productive work environment.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
low pay
i am management, I deal with customer complaints, closing, opening of the store, meetings and merchandise availability, cash handling.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
night to day hours
I started as a part time cashier and worked my way to merchandise manager in 7 years. learned alot about each different job along the way.
Pros
charity donations
Cons
low pay, management not on the same page, different rules for everybody
A typical day at work is to always check my departments, to make sure that they are neat and tidy and that all products are properly placed on the shelves ready for business. Another daily task to to ensure that all out of stock products are on order and if not, to be placed on order. I started as an overnight stocker, I learned that it is from nights that essentially prepares the store for business as we ensure that all products are out and ready for customers. I then moved on to the backroom where I learned the importance of "binning". I made sure that all products that were over stock were properly prepped with labels and quantity within each box and scanned into bins so that we know where each item is located if it runs out on the sales floor. Being part of the management team for a year now, I have learned how to properly merchandise and how to display bulk items. Part of my duties are to delegate tasks to fellow associates and following up to ensure that all tasks are being carried out. I make sure to emphasize that if any help is needed to come and ask. Another important part is being Duty Manager, who basically takes all calls concerning associates such as sick calls, etc., deals with all customer concerns and complaints and ensures that the customer always leaves happy. The most challenging part of my job at this moment is that I do not have the training that I would like to have making it difficult to fulfill my duties and that is because I just took on new departments and have not had basic training to understand the needs of these departments. I have a good management - more...
Pros
Advancements within the company
Cons
Not enough staff
I came into WalMart after having been laid off from my old job due to economic conditions. I applied there with a rich resume. One of my diplomas was in business. At first I was told I would be placed in a mid level management position. The day I went for my final interview paperwork was slid across the table showing that I would now be a supervisor (making 6 dollars less an hour than my old job) unloading their trucks that came in with their Chinese made merchandise. Not the mid level position I was initially promised (due to being on lay off and no other jobs available I had to accept "some money is better than no money") so I was lied to from the get go by management. WalMart knew I had my back against the wall too. WalMart keeps its employee's in check by abusing them and making unreasonable demands for a low and frankly insulting wage. The tempo they force you to work at for your crummy wage is just as insane. Everything you do is under the microscope. I witnessed one employee receive a write up for forgetting to put up a safety tape while using an electric pallet jack to get merchandise from the top shelf while a manager stood right there. The manager didn't say a word to the employee, the manager asked then watched as she made the mistake. Didn't bother to say "oh hey don't forget your safety tape" just let her do the job then went up to the office and came down half an hour later to give the employee her write up. The employee rarely made mistakes and was a good worker. It didn't warrant a written write up! Management promotes based on who's the biggest kiss - more...
Pros
I dont work for them anymore
Cons
Abuse, lies from management, poor working conditions, unreasonable expectations, abusive management... etc
It was a good place to work as a starter job. Staff was great to work with
  1. Merchandise Manager