Walmart
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Walmart Pay & benefits reviews: Cashier

Being a retail store, it's bound to be stressful.There are long hours and you cannot sit anywhere. Although breaks are generous but the work profile itself isn't challenging.Hours are flexible and you get to chose them for yourself and that's a good thing.Mostly they hire part time and it's not easy to go full time or to get promotion in the same store. Your only chance is to shift the store as and when you see a vacancy. I have seen people working for past 3-4 years as part time only. Overall it's a place to gain some work ex if you are a student or if you are new to Canada. Although they do have managerial position and those people get good pay as well but difficult to get in those roles.
Pros
Fun working environment, good colleagues, flexible working hours.
Cons
Stressful, pay rate at minimum
Most of the employees are quite friendly so it is easy to make friends. Once Christmas is over, hours get cut significantly, making good employees look for different job. It would be nice if they could keep the staff on all year round.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Not enough hours
Working at Walmart was a good place to start my work career . I got to learn work ethics , basic on job training , and worked enough hours to make a living wage .
Walmart is good for a first job but cons were that it would take minimum 3 days to switch you shift with someone else, and when I first started I was working part time for 16-30 hours a week to less than 8 hours after my first year. The work was very easy and involves you to do some problem solving on your own but usually the customer service employees would come help you if you had any problems. Breaks also very depending on how long your shift is so you feel rejuvenated through the hole thing and they provide 11+ hours of modules before you start on the floor and 2 days of shadowing somebody on cash so you are well prepared which was very helpful.
Pros
Good breaks, easy work, lots of training
Cons
Unpredictable hours, shift changes, poor management
Very stressful environment. They expect a lot especially from students but pay very little. Management is cruel and borderline abusive. Not worth it at all.
Pros
Always get scheduled breaks and lunch
Cons
Way too much work for the pay
Training was minimal, procedures change depending on the Manager working at the time. Some managers get over stressed and relay messages to cashiers in inappropriate ways, my last customer before leaving actually apologized to me that I was inflicted verbally by a CSM for taking things into my own hands at lunch break and shutting down my til, even though I looked and did not see a CSM. There had been times when you follow a CSM procedure and then left standing and trying to figure out what you should do because that CSM is no longer there and no one takes over to follow the same procedure. Many people are rude because it is so busy and cannot figure out why they don't have all the til's open. Cashiers are overworked during tourist season and don't get enough compensation. Pushing the Mastercharge at the till is frustrating, most people already know how they want to pay, and maybe this should be done in-store instead. No young cashiers work at this store, word travels. Did enjoy talking to people and just doing the cashier job once I figured how to handle different circumstances. Management above CSM really does need to pay attention to what is happening out there and work with the CSM's to make sure they all follow the same procedures.
Pros
Extra discount day, Talking to people
Cons
Flipping shifts, 7 days shifts
Jist like any job there are always good and bad and honestly it can be stressful however. Sometimes you have to have thick skin. Lots of personality Dont sweat the small stuff enjoy your job
Pros
fun, interactive, supportive, employee discount after 60 days, shares, yearly bonuses after you work a year
Cons
Hours can suck, sometimes you wait longer for breaks and they rotate managment every 6 months
Walmart sells alcohol so cashiers must take SmartServe training provided, have more responsibilities & potential liability for same pay. Req'd to ask customers to sign up for Walmart credit card at till while scanning, price matching & SmartServe screening, must ask for charity donations & ask survey on receipt irritates customers.be completed for draw too. Customers want cleaning done too. Poor communication b/n staff & mgmt. Very outdated equipment, lots of bad design. Sometimes lack necessary items. Be aware of your breaks & end time.
Pros
Lots of hours during busy seasons, PPE now provided, some great co-workers, employee discount after 3 months
Cons
Standing, repetitive motions, not living wage, no full time hrs, rules differ b/n mgrs, poor benefits only avail after 12 mos, positive actions ignored, never know if mgr will receive messages via Blackberry, virus safety concerns, other in store jobs not listed internallyl
Walmart is a great job to work for and they help people with disability to work there too and friendly managers that are very caring I wish that I got a job first when I move to Burlington
Pros
Benefits. School help eg college or university discounts on certain things and bonus every year
Cons
No cons
You get consistent hours, lots of shifts, lots of opportunities, most employees are friendly and caring. Unfortunately, not paid that well (especially during covid), co-workers start drama and try to get you in trouble, management is ok but they don't really seem to care about their employees, forget your breaks sometimes, can sometimes overbook you in.
Pros
Consistent hours/lots of shifts/hours
Cons
Management doesn't really care
I love the team at Walmart but I do find it stressful at times with all the customers and the line ups and the price matching we do a lot for a under paid job
Pros
Good team
Cons
To much confusion
I really enjoyed working with Walmart. Very nice people you learned a lot. Time passes very fast. Great 1 hours lunch time. Everyone is very supportive.
managment is not as well as it used to be it went down hill since a year after ive been there. Extensive hrs that don't make sense and do not follow your avalability given and make their own schedule that benifits them
If you are studying or have kids at home to look after this is the best job to work. Also, good benefits. They also count your study in any field as a half work experience and then pay you accordingly. For example, you studied for a year so they will count six months of working experience and pay you few cents more than minimum wage.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
unpaid one hour break
Payed well for retail—$14.15/hour with a 30c raise after one year. 10% employee discount. Stressful at times, a lot to learn and you don’t get a whole lot of training, just thrown in and have to learn as you go. Customers sucked, which is expected in customer service, but enjoyed my co-workers and my supervisors were easy to get along with (mostly). Hours sucked, unless I picked up shifts which was easy to do as they were always looking for more people to call in because of others calling in sick.
Decent amount of work, not enough pay. You're expected to do more work than you're initially hired for. Clocking in/out has to be meticulously done, otherwise you won't get paid.
Teamwork is the key element in Walmart. Management is not that friendly. Also, we are paid only the provincial minimum wage which is hard for us to meet the living cost.
Working at Walmart is horrific. They overwork their staff and intentionally under-schedule shifts, leaving employees struggling to meet the demands of management. I was given 3 raises in the 2 years I worked there, one of which was mandatory because I was promoted to CSM. That particular raise was 15 cents. The other two raises? A nickel each. Raises were supposedly given based on performance, and although I scored 5/5 in four of the five categories I was evaluated on, my raise was the minimum possible raise they could give me. The only category I did poorly in was selling MasterCards, which is difficult to do in the first place given how horrible 90% of the customers are. They make a big deal during the interview about how they want you to feel welcome and like family. This is a lie. They do not care about you, they do not want to treat you like a human let alone fairly. Several employees in know were denied time off to go to funerals. One of my coworkers begged for more hours in order to send money to her family back in her home country, and they refused to give her overtime... and then sent her home early, forcing me to do overtime work that they did not pay me overtime for. I regularly worked for 10 hours, standing at a till being verbally abused by customers, at 18 years old. I have a hard time twisting my spine because of how often I did that as a cashier to smile at angry customers waiting for someone else's card to go through. If you work here, do not be fooled into thinking that this is where you want to be. Leave as soon as you can. And do not, under any circumstances, - more...
good experience treated fairly. got along with most other cashier . supervisors were easy to get along with as long as you did your job.management hard
Walmart could be a good place to gain some short term experience in the job world, however, my experience there was less than favorable as I was forced to work long hours without appropriate breaks and felt underappreciated by upper management. They also were not flexible with my preexisting schedule which included full time high school and after school competitive athletics.
Rate of pay should be much better than minimum wage for the work required. Need more full time positions available or better part time benefits. Possible job cross training