Walmart Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 1,438 reviews matching the search See all 172,140 reviews
Disappointing
Cashier - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 April 2019
I worked as a cashier for a few months and I literally taught myself the entire system and everything by being tossed on a register for a week. The training process is extremely mind numbing as its just hours spent at a computer that's thousands of years old skipping questions and glossing over information then being hurled onto a register. This is mostly because the managers had absolutely no clue who was new and who wasn't, which speaks to their organizational skills.

As expected in every retail environment the customers treat you as way less than them which can be especially frustrating when your managers do not defend you in decisions and when you're being disrespected because 'the customers always right'. This is not to say I argued with customers, I, in fact, always kept a smile on my face no matter what ,it just would've been nice to be stood up for.

It is very easy to advance which can at times work against you because that means you end up with inexperienced managers who know almost as much as you do.

I was paid very well when I started out but then my shifts started declining as soon as I started to become a little more reliant on the position. It is the main reason I'm leaving, because they don't seem to listen when I ask for a consistent rise in hours considering it's way less than what I was told I'd be granted and what I said I was comfortable with.

It's not just me either, I've had fellow co-workers who I've not seen for months only to find out it wasn't because they had quit and they just weren't being scheduled. These are people who have families
  more... to take care of, and also have friendships with the managers, so as to show just about anybody can be treated terribly.  less
Pros
Job advancement
Cons
everything else
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 April 2019
-workplace culture was very good as i worked with many nice people that made my job more fun
-learned more customer service skills
-managers were easy to get a hold of
-very flexible work hours
Not that great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT12 April 2019
While working with Walmart the management was quite rude to their employees. I have overheard some racial slurs from some of the other employees, including some of the department managers.
Pros
Dealing with customers
Cons
Disrespectful employers
walmart sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON 311511 April 2019
this is the worst place to work they write you up for no reason the assistant managers are dicks they lie all the time and they let the lazy people get a away with everything while hard working people get in trouble for nothing
Pros
nothing
Cons
assistant managers are morns they lie all the time
Has its ups and downs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB7 April 2019
Walmart has great benefits for their employees, people are friendly, and they take care of breaks fantastically. Wonderful when busy but quite a bust when not.
Cons
large corperation
days at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  British Columbia6 April 2019
it was okay to work there, learned new skills in the sales areas, liked meeting new people and co workers whom became long time friends once i left. bosses were easy to talk to then but they were no help when i needed them the most.
Pros
break room was nice
Cons
not enough hours
Best Environment to work in.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 April 2019
One of the best place I have worked in is walmart memorial in thunder bay. the staff as well as the managers here are too friendly and like family. However, busy it is the complete staff together handles the rush and people leaving the store are always happy.
Productive fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2019
It was a great environment too work in and I would not trade it for the world. I was able to be my charismatic self and just be free. I really enjoyed it and it felt like I was having fun rather than working.
Pros
free lunches
Working at WalMart
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL1 April 2019
Great place to work! Good working environment. People are friendly and helpful.

Enjoy working as a cashier there. Have made some new friends and learned a lot in my job.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Sometimes too busy to go on scheduled breaks on time.
Unfavourable work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON30 March 2019
There is little training. Pressured to "sell" the Walmart MasterCard to customers. Constantly asking customers for donations. These requests annoy many customers. Difficult to get bathroom breaks. Required to do computer training, but never given the opportunity to complete it.
Pros
Hmmmm
Cons
Short breaks, low pay, low employee morale
OK if needed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 March 2019
Management left much to be desired in terms of respect for employees and cooperation. Did not feel like part of a team. Little care for the average employee.
Fast paced work environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC26 March 2019
A full day work is quite tiring. The management is not friendly. Poor Management. There are no benefits for the students who work there. Co-workers are quite good to work with.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
Not enough hours given in the Schedule.
productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON25 March 2019
it's a very fun place to work, i've never had as much fun as i did when working at walmart. the staff and management teams wer incredibly entertaining and there was never a dull moment.
Run
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON25 March 2019
Management cares about their job...making the store money. They dont care about employees. They dont care about customers. They care about money and that is it. Every thing else is policy. And if they dont like you they will legit make up their own reasons to fire you (and have a fake paper trail to back up those fake reasons). Good luck.
Pros
Its a job?
Cons
Management. Hours. Pay. Coworkers.
awful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2019
Walmart just sucks in general but honestly working there wasn't bad in terms of scheduling, getting ur desired hours/time off and breaks. actually a really good place to work besides the incredibly rude customers.
Pros
everything
Cons
rude people
Very organized
Walmart Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON20 March 2019
Walmart was a nice place to work. Very organized and efficient workers and friendly enough. The shifts were nice and long hours. Well spaced lunch breaks. The staff helped as much as the could about flexibility.
Pros
Well spaced breaks
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Fun and great for getting a real life work experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 March 2019
Walmart cashier was a stepping stone for me to advance in my career, and without it i wouldn't be the person I am today. I truly do believe that you should choose this place to work for.
Productive place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2019
Wal-mart is usually really busy which makes the associates learn to work in a fast paced environment, along with problem-solving, making customers as happy as possible.
Good job while in university
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON17 March 2019
Typical cashier job. Worked there during university and they were accommodating to my class schedule. Enjoyed working with my coworkers. Customers could get to you after awhile, unhappy and demanding and then you could have a manager come and assist.
Excellent
Cashier (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 March 2019
A beautiful place to work at. People are polite and simple, everyone is respected equally. People are kind and professional. I have had amazing experiences here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walmart. Our community is ready to answer.

546.2K