Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Manager didn't treat you with any dignity or respect. Manager's didn't care about your previous experience and knowledge. They didn't know how to motivate the employees or keep them happy.
If you are someone who is looking to find your first job. I would definitely suggest you to consider Walmart as your employer. While working there you can try different job positions to learn new things and improve your skills. You will get a chance to work with diverse workforce. With good experience and talent you can also try for higher level positions such Department Manager, Assistant Manager etc within Walmart.
Pros
Employee discount card, Employee benefits, yearly profit sharing.
Cons
More work load
Worst place to work. I would suggest to work at some other place not at walmart. They make you work more than what they pay. They are not at all cooperative.
Pros: - Coworkers are generally great - Some good managers & supervisors - Flexible scheduling - Descent job security Cons: - A lot of unprofessional managers that do little work and treat employees like disposable tools - Lying or sugar coating is a regular thing in sad attempts to damage control the fact that the company & some managers doesn't care about you - Sad pay - Understaffed all the time - Bad work hours (ie. end late one day, start early the next) - "No fun allowed" culture is a norm with most managers and the company - Good managers usually leave for better things - High turnover rates across the store - Bad workers are tolerated unless they steal company time Conclusion: It's not the worst place I've worked at but, don't work here unless you're desperate.
Management sucked. Pay nominal. Most co-workers ok. Some spoke about others in their own language right in front of them. Very few were toxic but this included co-workers in positions of authority. Have a history of spouting off about Teamwork...its total BS. The management had 1 or 2 responsible people who didnt treat others disrespectfully. The others ran off new employees they didnt like
I enjoyed most of my Walmart career, although a lot of weekends were stressful, liked meeting all sorts of different people. My supervisors were amazing and helped a lot with organization.
not a good place to work , management of the store is bad , if you don't have other options than work in WM. I don't recommend this to anyone. there is no opportunity to grow.
Being an assistant store manager has more cons then pros. You are expected to be there 24/7 to ensure your business is in order. You often left to figure out what needs to be done with little to no guidance.
I knew going into this job that it would be a busy one but I underestimated it. As a cashier upfront it is rarely quite but that is not a problem so much as that problems with communication and the lack of ability to do things like reprint a receipt for example. If one needed to do such one would have to wait for a CSM to come over and do it, but if they were busy you would just have to stand there and wait. If its really busy they can forget about you for items you need to your break. Training was slightly better than a previous job I've had but as it was all corporate mandated it only covered a broad array of subjects and not details that would come up later. Management is nice but this company will take the word of the customer over your own
Pros
Nice managers and coworkers sometimes free food
Cons
Can be forgotten about when store is busy, training needs to be more detailed orented, and company does not really care about low level employees
Friendly staff for the most part, though usually understaffed. The culture was inclusive. Most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the staff environment. Hardest part of the job was definitely upkeep of necessary equipment not being done. I learned a good deal just being around so many people at all times.
In Walmart, I understood the real meaning of teamwork and i really enjoy the work culture there. In Canada, it's my first job and I really got to know what Canadian customers wants.
Love this job! We have a great management team. There is so much room for advancement and we like to help those that are wanting to further their future with us. We look for hard working enthusiasts who like to be part of a great team and have great customer service. If you have these traits get online and apply!
Very good workplace culture. Different people from different countries work in this organization and the professional management make work place less stressful. I like this company a lot
I've worked at 4 different locations in BC for Walmart. Retail wise. If part time work is all you need, maybe you're a student, or maybe your spouse works full time and you just need to work part time, I would certainly recommend Walmart over other retail places. I felt that I was given the opportunity to move up if I wanted to, I didn't, and that I was recognized for my work ethic and effort I put in the company, I just regret that it took like four years to get noticed. Try to work for a smaller locaiton, not an overly big one like the victoria bc store. I find that when there is a management team of 9 people + you are constantly having to approach the shift relatively differently depending on who's the duty manager. And so many times did I have one manager instruct me to do something one way, then another manager would be upset that I didn't do it some other way I'd never heard of before. I rate management 2 stars for a reason, there was little to no collaboration or even agreement among management to a pathetic extent. The other locations I worked at weren't too bad management wise, but not perfect either. It's not that the managers are bad people, individually I got along with most of them but the contradictions and lack of unity with the management could be frustrating at times. Outside of that though, if you aren't in a supervisor position and you're just cashiering or stocking or what have you, the management issues won't really affect or harm you much. I will say that Walmart was very accommodating to me when I needed certain time off. Also, I got to work - more...
Pros
Great people to work with, good place to shop after work, usually accommodating to time off if given enough notice.
Cons
Lack of unity from the management team, company too overzealous about their master card
the job was very fun until someone i didnt like crossed me and i was fired for having a conflict. other than that it was an honor to be at another retail store like target.
Even though walmart staff wore awesomely, and accommodating, this is not the place you want to be if you want to make money. Besides there is not benefits for part times and training is excessive. I wont regret this job, but I am glad I move forward to better things in life. so If you are employee or looking to be employee at walmart, make sure to get your education deal with and get a degree.
worked here since 2016, my mother worked here for 20 years. pretty good place with great people and friendly faces, best Produce in North America baby
after being promoted to Customer Service Manager i realized how corrupt this establishment is. I was forced to go against policy countless times to return items that should not have been returned. stay out of retail
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Bad management
Always low on staff so need you are always called to cover various departments including cash. Management keeps changing and thus come up with different rules all the time.
I enjoyed working for the company. I had good coworkers and the management was really easy to get along with. Some days were a crazy considering its walmart but otherwise it was fine.
Looking for employments I chose to try to learn Retail as a new direction to my skills. I was interesting to learn with very little direction so mistakes I made were quickly learned and not repeated. I found it easy to make friends and worked well with the team. This I felt was because of my time with the Cruise industry. As hours were cut I asked to be moved to Produce and learned hard work by lifting and moving items in and out of storage. It was a good place to work and the company treated me very well
Pros
New skills that are useful now
Cons
Heavy work