Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Truro, NS

It was a good place to work with good people.It was a faced paced environment. The supervisors are nice to work for. I made some good friends there. It was fine.
Head manager is incompetent and 1/2 of assistant managers unqualified. Organizational structure is a mess and consistently changes. Very little for benefits or raises in salary.
Pros
Long breaks and flexable hours
Cons
No communication and no leadership
- Highly recommend for those wishing to start building their resume - Easy to keep track of hours worked - Schedules are flexible - Clean working enviroment
Tip for being a student working Walmart. Never ask for them to be more considerate of your school schedule. Ask for 3 shifts you get minimum 5 making part time pay with no benefits. Nothing is ever good enough, never show them your full work potential or you’ll never get a break. You stop wanting to wake up in the morning, a constant feeling of dread looming over you when you realize you’ll never advance in the ladder.
Management, at all levels, is incompetent. Most have no experience or clue when it comes to how to be a boss. Promotions based on who will be the store manager's lackey , not on ability. Someone who starts out as a cashier or sales associate can become a payroll or assistant manager without any experience; due to the unbelievable amount of employees (hundreds) and management who simply just quit or go on "stress leave " There isn't any on floor training by support or assistant managers. You only learn from fellow employees if they're not too stressed out to show you how to do anything. Only training to speak of is the 2 days of computer videos & quizzes on Walmart 's policies and procedures. Health and safety videos are helpful but employees don't follow the training. Lots of unreported "little accidents ". Benefits are offered to employees after 6 months, but good luck with getting any kind of assistance from Personnel/payroll. I waited for over a year to receive mine and had to do it for myself because 4 Assistant managers, payroll manager and Store manager knew absolutely nothing, were of no help, nor seemed to care. Way too much cheating, lying and ignorance going on at Walmart
For the most part this is an ideal place to work. The hours are decent, the employees are good to get along with. Management needs help, I feel like they are not always there to support their workers. The focus for MasterCard sales is frustrating, especially when 6 people have to meet goal for whole store, and only cashiers are required to do this. While part of the job to get them, it is hard when the staff is harassed to get them when no one wants them. Most enjoyable part can be customers, you get to know what they want and need from you .
Walmart is a fun place to work. I meet several types of people everyday which I really like. The Managers are awesome and so with my co workers. If only they can give me full time hours, maybe i will still be at Walmart.
Everyday I come in and I'm greeted by almost everyone in the store. I learned a lot more on cashier work than I originally thought, the management was pretty strict but the culture was great. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with certain items that no codes or price tags on them. The most enjoyable part was having to get to know some customers that came into the store. Overall, the experience wasn't bad at all.
Pros
Discount Cards
Cons
Overwhelming work
loved the job it was just really hard to stand on your feet for to long . most enjoyable part of the job was making customers happy that they wanted to return to the store .
Waiting on customers and stocking shelves. Walmart is normally very busy so you have to always be on your toes and be able to work in a fast paced environment.
worked mostly nights didn't have much customer interaction but the job itself was great experience time went by quickly never had anytime to stand around which was great
was a decent summer job for between years of university, other coworkers were good to work with and would definatly work there again if given a choice
Pros
staff dicount
Cons
backshift
Walmart Canada allows you to work full or part time and still gives you the room to grow within both your career and personal life. Walmart will work with you so that your needs are met, working with your availability and teaching you valuable skills to last a life time.
I would go back there in a heart beat the only reason i left was because i did not enjoy back shift and it took a tool on my health but overall an awesome company!
Benefits and pay as a salary manager was great. Though I lost my job through restructuring, I still enjoyed my role and the roles I had getting there. I did find the way the layoffs and secrecy behind them was unjust and disrespectful to the staff that have worked there. Many for years. The last management team I worked with was a hateful and unenjoyable crew. No one worked as a team, it was a very lonely place to work as a salaried manager. The store manager was a very nasty person, and did not like to see anyone get a head. She was spiteful and just a down right witch.
Pros
benefits package and discounts
Cons
management team
I enjoyed the community of Walmart. The work place was flexible with a family schedule and my coworkers proved to be a great team to work with. I would definitely suggest Walmart as a place to work.
I was trained all over the store which helps with customer service. knowing were places are and knowing some of the product your selling is good to help out. There was lack of communication even with a communication log. Managers did not know I was fully trained in every department they had.
Pros
Great people
Cons
long hours at first than cut hours after your probation
It is overall a fantastic place to work, great people around you. There is one assistant manager is pretty nasty to the associates, tries to give disciplinary action even when it isnt called for, they switch schedules around sometimes without letting you know. the rest of the managers and coworkers and great!
Pros
good hours
Cons
dont get paid for your lunch breaks
A typical day of work in the TLE (Tire Lube Express) department of Walmart starts off with putting all personal protective equipment on such as uniform, steel-toe work boots, protective gloves and safety glasses. Once safe to enter the work bays, you unlock all doors and check over all equipment to ensure everything is working good and safely. Once safety checks are complete we go to see our fellow associate working at the customer service counter to receive our current work order, get a seat cover and head out to the TLE customer parking lot to bring the vehicle into our work bays slowly and safely getting another associate to help with all checks on the vehicle to insure nothing is missed on the work being performed on the vehicle wither it be an tire repair, oil change or tire installation. You work with amazing management willing to help you with any questions or concerns you may have and have great confident and helpful co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be meeting new people and knowing your putting a smile on your customers face. There isn't really any hard parts to the job other then making sure everything you do is being done in a safe manner, because sometimes no matter how safely you perform tasks things can go wrong so you have to be quick at reacting to possible dangerous situations. Not being able to know your workplace surroundings or not paying attention could result in dangerous work which no one wants. Saftey first! Great company to work with.
Pros
Meeting new people, Many job opportunity's, Lots of hands on learning and great management.
Cons
My fifteen years working with Walmart has exposed me to a great work environment, culture, experiences, and highly motivated and enjoyable associates to work with at all levels.
I enjoyed every shift taken there as a cashier. Enjoyed working with the public and helping all those who had product or service complaints. The management team is open and is flexible on scheduling. I would recommend this job to a friend or family member. Would work there again.
Pros
Discount for employees'
Cons
Standing could be an issue if you haven't had experience as a cashier