Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in St. Catharines, ON

Though it’s a great place to work, job security and a lot of benefits I still think they can do better as regards to pay and some other benefits such as dentals and all. And I did experience a little bit of discrimination from some of the managers and employees as my store was predominantly white employees. But the larger percentage was pretty friendly.
Pros
Managers are helpful and responsive
Cons
I think there’s still some elements of racist behaviour amongst some managers and associates.
Overall, my time at walmart was face paced and usually busy concidering it is a huge corporation. At times it was pretty stressful, although i did learn how to manage many things including things like time management skills, how to operate a cash register, and problem solving skills.
Decent job, Management was understanding and approachable. Staff was fun and worked hard. One of my favourite places to work, although to much emphasis on pushing their credit card, it held too much weight on your performance
I personally wouldn't work at a walmart ever again. I must say i didn't have it nearly as bad as some people i worked with, but overall the experience was not a pleasant one. It did pay the bills and it kept us a float while i was there but so thankful to be out.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
low salary, expectations ridiculously high some days.
The schedule was very flexible and would always let you have time off when requested at least two-three weeks in advance. The work was pretty easy and the breaks were great.
Great place to work. Shift are all over the place. One day you work days the next evening the back to days. Management is very friendly and easy to get along with.
Walmart care for each and every associate and work at Walmart was very relaxed . They also cares for their customers very genuinely and almost all the customers are satisfied.
The Cashier position is shift work, a typical day can be 4 to 8 hours from 6:45am to 11:30pm. Breaks are guaranteed. Performance is monitored. Atmosphere is friendly. Training is provided and staff encourage best practices. Overall an ok environment for someone entering the workforce.
Management gives you dirty looks if you are sick. They wont aprove shift changes. No one is happy there. They dont appreciate hard workers they just want more. No chance of moving up or getting a raise.
-The management was bad and all over the place -Didn't schedule properly -Pushed us to sell their MasterCard which in return lowered employee work morale -Really boring
I would not recommend working as I have not had the best experience since I was part-time. Please reconsider being back in the job market and looking for other opportunities as the work-life balance is very poor.
Recently applied for a part time position. Got email invite to an interview for advertised position. Arrived and was told this role (there were 2 actually) had been filled! So why was I even there?? I was convinced to apply for something else, which I wasn't too keen on as it wasn't really a job I was interested in. I went home and thought about it, deciding if I was selected I would just decline. Two days later I get an email stating that I had been hired - for the position I'd ORIGINALLY applied for, so I was quite pleased. Went through the necessary background check and chose my Orientation date. I arrived for that and was told that I actually DIDN'T get the position I thought I had (all the emails I'd received said I did), but I had the one I wasn't too keen on from my interview and had planned to decline! Talk about a huge let down. Very messy and unprofessional way to hire people.
It is a horrible place to work, got tired of being screamed at to go faster and do more. The management is horrible. Horrible place to work. Always short staffed, and expected to you the job of the person away as well as yours, everyday is the same. Not enough staff and more work expected
Pros
The people I worked with
Cons
horrible management, you work your butt off while others stand around and do nothing, irregular breaks, and not enough staff brought in during peak periods.
A typical day of work was stressful, there was always too much expected of staff and not enough time to do what was needed. As a department manager, i was always helping my associates to complete their tasks.
I was hired part time and was given almost full time hours. They expect the new trainees to train the newest hired. I had childcare issues and had asked to be put on a leave until I could resolve the problem. I was terminated instead. I had found childcare and had to reapply for a position. I had the interview and was asked to give my hours of flexibility. I wrote down exactly what the daycare hours of operations were and was told it wasn't good enough. In order to secure a position, I had to be available from open til close, seven days a week. Yet they have no problem hiring 7 college or university students with VERY limited availability and whom speak VERY little or poor English.
A typical day consisted of getting up to your till, and being yelled at if you brought anything other than yourself (such as a book or something for when they weren't busy - even if its homework). I learned that it doesn't matter what you do right, management will always play favoritism and choose others over you. Workplace culture was virtually nonexistent. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the awful managers, and the most enjoyable part of the job was going home.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
managers suck
It’s a good place to work if you are a student or a parent looking for part time work. They work with you on your schedule. Management was very poor. Didn’t care about cleanliness
Pros
Great co-workers, nice breaks.
Cons
never listened to you hated when you got hurt because of people. do not care about you they only care about themselves and no matter what you always get blamed for things go that goes wrong
Managers treat employees like children and will yell at employees in front of customers. During slow times employees may only work 12 hours a week, yet Walmart will not accommodate you if you take a second part-time job------Needless to say, working part-time at Walmart does not pay the bills. Customer Service Managers are also very rude to employees. Employees are threatened with being fired if they call in sick too many times. When you do call in sick, they post your name on a big board in the employee area so everyone can see it. The place is filthy dirty and we are not given time to clean our work areas. There are inches of dust on the shelves where merchandise is supposed to be. It is not uncommon to go a week (or more) without any cleaning supplies at all (not even paper towels). We are not allowed to use cleaning supplies from the store when we run out. Customers get angry when we are constantly pushing the Walmart Master card on them. If we do not sell enough Mastercards, we get pulled into the office for a "talking to". Employee lockers are about 12 inches wide, 10 inches tall and 16 inches deep. There are not enough of them so some people are forced to share. (I can barely fit my own purse in my locker) I think this is another way that Walmart demonstrates that they have no respect for their employees.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too many to mention.
walmart is almost infamous for its belittlement and treatment of its employees. i personally was made to stand at my register while customer screamed and threw things at me without help. i quit when a customer threw a basket at my face and left a bruise but walmart still wouldn't make changes to better the environment for its employees. i was cheated out of my raise and they bullied many people i worked with out of the job so they wouldn't have to pay severance.
Pros
discount on walmart products
Cons
standing for long periods of time. told to deal with abuse.
Find a better place to work. This company is terrible and treats its employees like barn animals. The management is practically non existent, incompetent and totally disorganized. Management does nothing to help or make you feel appreciated. Walmart is constantly understaffed so you will be doing double the work for the same pay. They don't care about their employees one bit. They prey on desperate people. The pay is terrible. They blast terrible music all day long. Half the people who work there are insane and will drive you insane.
Pros
Cons
Slave Labor