Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Port Perry, ON

Port Perry Walmart is a laid back, flexible, work environment that is perfect for either first time workers or for a retirement job. Perks of working for Walmart include profit share and a 10% discount on merchandise in the store.
Pros
Profit share
Cons
Customers take advantage of associates
walmart was really fun id id love to work their again, i love how at walmart they treat you like family and always give you what you need yo be succesful
they recently moved some of the managers at the store and the new fresh manager is really rude. havn't worked there for a year yet so i don;t know about the raises. hardest part is the impossible new expectations from the new fresh manager but i enjoy working with my co workers who are all nice ! but no one likes the new manager so it brings down the morale unfortunately
I would not recommend anyone apply at Wal Mart Port Perry. The management is horrible, dishonest, and will stab you in the back so fast. Store manager doesn't care if the store falls apart or not.
Terrible place to work the managers and their favorites will try to harass you if you are new and dont care about a minimum wage job anyway! There are lot of breaks which is nice
the store managers always rush the workers and some of them are very mean. they expect us to do so much more work then we have time for. my co workers go out of there way to be unplesent and most are power hungary as well.
Walmart Canada has allowed me to grow and refine my customer service skills as well as my management and teamwork skills. There is a nice sense of structure in my daily activities while also allowing consistent and reward work.
Pros
Excellent Benefits, comfortable work envioment
The managers are always available to help Learning new things every day safe work environment staff is like family always interacting with costumers and bettering their experience
-Good Superiors -Good co-workers for the most of the time I was there -Plenty to do -Always on your feet -Focus on Initiative, responsibility, and customer serivce
Everyday when I went into work the customer service managers were always happy and helpful, in a day I would typically start out on a busier till and be moved around half way through my shift because managers know it can be straining. The hardest part of the job was trying to accommodate customers with hard requests and being yelled at by the customers over things I can't control. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and making new friends, it was a very easy job even though it was busy because you get into a routine.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Some back pain from constant turning
Most other managers were bad at their jobs. Ruled by fear to keep lower employees in place. Saw many people who were told they were getting promoted have the position given to someone else for seemingly no reason.
When I started it was fun, my last store manager was unfair and not willing to listen. I was never informed of changes and he made promises he could not keep
Pros
staff
Cons
store management
A typical day in the electronics department would include stocking shelves, assisting customers, cleaning the department, and working in the photo centre. Specific days were used for doing mods (relocating DVDs for new releases, and relocating regular products). This job taught me how to work in a team environment, as well as how to remain collected and focused in a busy and fast paced environment on days such as Black Friday and Boxing Day. It also teaches you how to sell products to customers that are not certain about the product they came in to buy. The management changed a lot, managers got rotated and replaced fairly often it seemed. This can be good for exposing the worker to different management styles. The workplace culture was fine for me, the co-workers were nice for the most part. I found that the amount of break time you get is much higher than that of other jobs (7+ hour shift gets you two 15 minute breaks and a 1 hour unpaid lunch, all breaks are mandatory). The hardest part of the job would probably be just dealing with rude customers, but this can sometimes be unavoidable. Other than that, the tasks in the electronics department are usually straight forward, and some days it can even get boring back there when you are all caught up with your work.
Pros
Lots of break time, easy tasks
Cons
Can get boring, unpredictable customers sometimes
Walmart Port Perry was my first part-time job, I worked as a cashier for over 2 years and it was a good experience. I left to become a full time student
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Long shifts/awkward timed shifts
it was a nice place to work because it was a nice area where the store was located, so friendly people always came in. The store was always kept very clean aswell
At Wal-Mart I am responsible for ensuring price changes get done in my deptartments as well as keeping it clean, organized and the shelves full and ready for the customers. I place orders when needed for when a product is getting low. Help out when needed on a cash register or any other dept that has freight to be worked.
In my 6 year career with Walmart I was a committed and engaged Manager. The new direction of the company "do more with less" is not conducive the a decent work-life balance and it has become all about the bottom line at the cost of the Associates - cut backs to hours and promises that never come to fruition. They have no competition to beat out of the market...they can afford to treat their Associates with dignity and respect and a decent hourly wage.
Out of the many things I have learned during my time working at Walmart here are a few lessons that I have encountered dealt with and learned from! I have learned that everyone who I work with are not going to always agree with my ideas but after the small arguments we can build upon those ideas and make them a bit more predictable. I have also learned that hard work pays off through recognition, pay, and promotions.
Pros
Awesome breaks depending on how long the shift is.
Cons
The back room had very little space to work with.
A typical day at Wal-Mart Port Perry would consist of, getting reprimanded for a job well done but not done well enough it seemed. What I learned there was that there are good people to work with/for and bad people to work with/for. Management was ok, many of them let the power of being in charge go to their heads but there were a few that saw the potential and helped as well as showed genuine interest in your progress. The co-workers at Wal-Mart were, for the most part amazing to work with, they were friendly and made it easier to work. Hardest part of the job was the excessive heavy moving, pulling and constantly cleaning everything. Most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was making money, helping move a big company forward, as little as my footprint was, it did something.
Pros
Exployees were friendly and very cheerful
Cons
hours always getting cut, felt insufficently paid for the work I was doing, management has power problems
It was a great place to work, with lively people and a fast paced work environment that I strive in. On a typical day I would be working in Produce moving product, analyzing product that has gone bad, disposing of it appropriately, working in conjunction with managers, co-workers and customers.
Able to do multiple jobs while working, which was a good way to gain experience within other departments. Management was very friendly and approachable and always happy to help with any issues. Liked how it was a fast paced environment, however it did have moments where it would slow down and you change pace. Great balance so things did not get to stressful. Hardest part personally was the drive there was a little long depending on where you live.
Pros
Great management, environment was easy to learn and work in.
Cons
Longer drive, on your feet majority of the time.