Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Kanata, ON

While working at Walmart I got pregnant, I was constantly degraded for not completing as much work 'expected of me', I was constantly scared of being caught sitting down, because they expect you to spend 8-10 hours on your feet at all times. You're not allowed to stop to speak with your coworkers, even if you're asking a question. And if you don't complete your job because you were helping customers, and other workers, you're to blame. I had an 8 hour shift and was given a job that 'was supposed to be done in 3', but I covered 4 different people on their 15's, and 1 hour lunches. Not to mention the 20 minutes I would spend helping countless customers, but at the end of the shift all I heard was "THIS is all you got done?" At 8 months pregnant, mind you. You wouldn't recommend working for this walmart, not if I was paid to.
Another great place for that easy and repetitive 9-5, sure it can get busy over the holidays but who doesn't. nice and mundane for that person who doesn't want to think to hard while they work, plus the night shift are great if you are the type of person who enjoys being a vampire of sorts
Pros
Repetitive
Cons
repetitive
The staff are very friendly and helpful. Already ready to lend a helping hand. Good work atmosphere. The customers are loyal tipp the store and mostly a pleasure to deal with.
At first working at Walmart as a cashier was great for me. Nice people, cut me a lot of slack, rewards for reaching goals, patient when you're still learning. However, after 6 months as a cashier, I feel as though I've been critiqued and nitpicked for every little thing, sometimes even for things I've never done. I've been accused of continuously being late (I've been late once because of a misunderstanding on my part) and missing shifts (I've missed three shifts due to being sick but I always notified them at least a day before) as well as lacking initiative. I don't want to rant on but at this point I'm just waiting to get a different job then I'm out. They seem to especially hold something against me since I'm a lot younger then the others working there and they often treat me as a child. Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of good things abt working here (discount, rewards, perks, etc) but at this point I'm just trying to get a new job then I'm out.
Pros
Free breaks, nice people, lots of perks, flexibility
Cons
Don't acknowledge your work, never satisfied with you, treat you like a bottom feeder.
Walmart is a good company with any jobs to offer you, but they have a poor benefits as entry level jobs, paying the minimum salary. It´s a good place to start your career but is not for entire career.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor benefits
A typical day at work. Everybody is polite and greets everybody in the morning. A routine which I love to have really would fit in great in my life. I would always have a schedule ,looking for full time hours and would be happy working all Saturdays except one. Saturdays, what a busy day from the moment the store would open until the night it closed. Christmas was so busy, like Easter and Hallowe`en. Garden season time and summer what a splash! Being a cashier was very good, at the end of the day I could wait to get my feet up on the couch. I would say the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and learning, as well as using my memory skills for computer work on cash and Returns/Exchanges, as well Inventory. I really enjoy being on the floor redoing shelves, replenishing and organizing the clothes .
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
When there is not enough fulltime hours.
Turnover rates are incredibly high and with good reason: management can be very difficult to work with and often condescending. As a student, you are guaranteed to work every single weekend and they will be very suspicious if you call in even if you are genuinely sick. They will ask for doctor's notes even if you have not been away for three consecutive shifts (as per labour law AND their own contracts). They will not guarantee you religious time off, student-related time off, or family-related time off. If you call in sick, they have been known to call your house to try and catch you in a lie and if you tell them the reason for your absence, you will still be accused of lying. You get a 10% discount after your probation period of three months. You must be able to work 12 hours per week. Students will work every weekend and most Fridays. You will be watched by your CSMs and management will have other floor associates come to your cash to ensure you are asking for the Walmart MasterCard, which creates a distrustful environment. Even if you ask, there is no guarantee of a sign-up, but management will still watch you and come down on you for underperfoming. They will also monitor your scan rates and your donation collections--they will set a goal number and you MUST reach it in order to have "good" performance (which translates to more or less hours). They have blackout periods where you will not request time off. This is around Christmas of course, but also during mid-Summer as well. The turnover rate is so high but management does not care--they will continue to lure - more...
Pros
Guaranteed hours, if you have experience you will receive a bit more than minimum wage (but not much).
Cons
Management!
shift went by quickly because it was constantly busy, especially on weekends. Breaks were amazing. two 15 mins and one 1 hour lunch. Management was ok, scheduling was good. Switching shifts was easy due to high amount of employees
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
management
Walmart is a very fast paced environment and I enjoy working just that way. There is constant change as we need to keep up with the trends and market, this is fun and exciting as we are always learning new things.
Always evolving to meet customer needs. Providing up to date training which is always beneficial. Hard workers who are dedicated to their jobs. Walmart is a great community supporter and has donated millions to various charities.
Pros
Good benefits and great people
Cons
Some long days but not many
Walmart is a good company to work for. The staff is super friendly and definitely makes it a good place to work. I worked in the Cosmetics Department and then stepped up to Housewares and Furniture. A typical day in the life for me is working my perpetual inventory screen, price changes, merchandizing, providing a clean and well stocked department(s)/ and store, responding to customer requests, maintaining a safe and clean work area. The hardest part of the job is probably being understaffed. It makes it difficult to complete all that is required of me. However, I always strive for the best and try to complete everything in my day.
Pros
Friendly staff, good hours.
Cons
Underpaid, understaffed.
Wal-mart is the nice company to start up but the wages is low to continue to work for long period of time unless you choose to be the higher level managers.
Pros
good management (the place I work )
Cons
low wages
lots of fun bad management, rude easy job everything is simple to learn not alot of training lots of multitasking always something new to do or learn high turnover means you get to meet lost of new people lots of customers fast paced
A typical day at Walmart involved opening a thousand little boxes of make-up. It got a little tedious, repetitive and was very hard on the hands. Also dusting and facing products, as well as placing reorders on popular products. I learned many thing at Walmart, including being part of a big team, learning how to change MODS and set up new items in the system. Also how to bin items and place orders on popular products, as mentioned before. I had many different managers at this lovely place, all of them where amazing to work for. The hardest part of the job would have been, all those little boxes with just one piece of make-up in them, such a waste of cardboard, and took up a lot of extra time. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to help customers find a product that suited them, so they left happy and with something that would make them want to return.
Pros
Discount on everything in the store
Cons
Long hours at Christmas
A typical day was pretty much trying to sell the Walmart master-card and ring in sales. Also if there were discounts I would apply those as well as putting through the sale items and changing them to the desired price. I did not necessarily enjoy the management. I liked everyone except one manager. She wasn't really that nice and wasn't someone that I could talk to about fixing my schedule and was the reason to why I left since she was not reasonable. The hardest part of the job was to sell the Walmart master-card. I enjoyed being able to speak to the customers because I am a very sociable person as well as I loved my co workers.
A typical day at work is coming in an stocking/binning product that the overnight crew was unable to work. I've learned how to be part of a team in a retail environment along with individual tasks and how to prioritize tasks in ways to better assist customers and increase sales. Management was unstable at times but certain management members took on extra responsibilities to make the store run smoothly. For the most part the co-workers are helpful in completely tasks but other times they need someone there to make sure the job is completely well. The hardest part of the job is having to make up for others lack in work. For example if the morning associate fails to organize the produce cooler the closing associate must do so along with other mandatory tasks. The most enjoyable part of working at Walmart is learning new things within various departments. Unfortunately these things can only be learned once and when mastered it becomes second nature.
Pros
Learning new things to help expand retail knowledge
Cons
Certain co-workers working habits
I had the opportunity to understand the set up of a Super Centre. My typical day at work consisted of making sure the shelves were well stocked. I learned to understand what customer service is all about. I learned patience and more listening skills. My coworkers were a fun group. I even made friends which made my day pleasant. The hardest part of the job was unloading trucks. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people.
Pros
Good organization to learn
Cons
Closing hours while in school, no bus route.
I enjoyed working at Walmart as an entry-level customer service associate. Their rates of pay and benefits package are above minimum requirements (slightly) and their hours are reasonable. Room for advancement is there, but it's a long process that requires you to work for slightly above minimum wage for an extended period of time. Working in the Produce section of a busy Supercenter, it was a fast-paced environment that followed a "run, don't walk" mentality. The co-workers were friendly, but due to their ages typically ranging between 16 and 19, they were not overly motivated to perform. The management structure is built well for an international chain, but there is no shaking the knowledge that you are working in a massive corporation at the very bottom of it. Overall, I would recommend Walmart to those who are seeking employment, but don't have an immediate need for a decent-paying salary.
Pros
Employee discount, stock options, profit sharing if your store performs above and beyond
Cons
Hard work, small pay, lack of advancement opportunity, huge competition for advancement
Stocked shelving did merchandising ran the cash register gave the prescriptions
Great place to work unfortunately no advancement opportunities
Management: They really care about each and everyone of their employees. The co-workers: I made a lot of really close friends that I have stayed in contact with after I left. The hardest part of the job: Was making sure you got everything done on your list before you left as well as help any guest that needed a hand. The most enjoyable part of the job: Working with some really cool people.