Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Guelph, ON

As a cashier I can ensure that working at walmart will test your abilities. standing whole day and continuously working can make you tierd at the end of the day.
Having a Great team environment and managers who listen and treat you well.Working hard gets recognized fast.Work culture at walmart is great. Pay is minimum wage and best for students and teens.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Higher turnover, Some managers have their own favourite associates.
I used to work at a different Walmart. They were a great team, communication was effective, and they cared about my needs and issues. Management was easy to talk to. Hours were respectable. Where I currently work is the exact opposite. Work is stressful and rarely done properly, with instructions given by management that often doesn't make sense for the store's needs. Turnover is high. Management has yet to prove they care about my needs or issues I am having, it took three months for my availability to change when I changed Semesters with a different Class Schedule at my university.
Pros
Occasional Free Lunch
I like the way they help their accociates by giving excellent training for work. Make them feel comfortable on the job and follow rules. Their goal is to give excellent customer service which I always try to do my best.
The coworkers were nice and helpful. The management is terrible and unfair. They treat the employee in a very inhuman way. While hiring someone for a department manager role, they don't give value to the right person. Poor management ever
Fun staff, always a pleasure to say I worked here, hours would be a lot sometimes as a highschool student but either way, great place to work at and enjoy
Fantastic place to work if you are a student, or are in retirement looking for something to do. Of all the jobs I had as a student, I liked Walmart the most. Especially in the summer when working in the garden section. Watered the plants (which was great on really hot days because of the mist) and helped customers while the supervisor worked the cash register and guided me on how to do everything.
Pros
Friendly staff and coworkers, very flexible hours, helpful management
Cons
Depending on the city, some customers are more dangerous and sometimes steal stuff
lots of laughs, friendship and support. proper training when required, customers get to know you and the management is a good group of people. Always clean and full
Walmart has a great job security plan for their students to work while still going through school almost guaranteeing their job when they come back. The atmosphere is quite pleasant with majority of associates/managers demonstrating a positive attitude towards one another and customers. Walmart allows its associates to build retail experience and customer service experience as well as applying safety handling quick time problem solving.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Walmart?
Walmart prides itself in ensuring the majority of its senior management hires are internal and as such the people promoted know how to run their respective departments but unfortunately are not good leaders or managers. The managers are only interested in advancing themselves and will walk all over their associates to ensure they stay in the store managers good books. This means your needs are never put first. To stay in Walmart there is phrase "you need to lick to click". It has been a very interesting experience but after working there feel that one could do so much better in terms of career and job fulfilment.
Maybe things have gotten better but when I worked at Stone Road Walmart, the employee turnover was insane. Granted there were plenty of students that would be leaving and joining every year but that happens at most workplaces. Assistant Managers would be over worked (salary) and as a result it all trickled down onto the hourly employees. AMs could be very manipulative with how they would advise to do a job, so that it would benefit themselves as much as possible even if it caused problems for other departments. Example being say you ran out of time to bin O/S, some managers would say just cram it into a window in the back and forget it as someone else will eventually have to fix it or lets over stock a product to get it out of the backroom, but hey that job is done now right? Its possible to move up fairly quickly if you drink the KoolAid within the company but moral is very low and raises sucked, capped at $0.40 a year. Promotions to DM could result in a $0.80 raise, if your truly blessed maybe you might get a 'merit raise' that they secretly give out if you complain loud enough behind closed doors, though its normally only $0.25 which really doesn't change much of anything. Walmart is a great company to use as a stepping stone to build your resume for another company that will actually give a crapp about you, or at least do a better job pretending they do.
Pros
Employee discount, get out what you put in
Great for students, flexible hours and availability that fits well with student schedules
Nice colleagues and very good work environment. Our shifts schedule will be posted two weeks in advance on the whiteboard close to the pantry. I've learned the management system of Walmart retail and improve my skills in interacting with different people.
Good place to work for students. They are very courteous of availability and willing to work around the busy schedule of a student. There wasn't a lot of room for advancement and the hiring credentials of certain people in various areas of employment were questionable, but it didn't cause too many issues. Overall, a decent place to work.
New manager, hired too many cashiers. "computer programmed" schedule where MORE hours are given to new cashiers than old cashiers that have been here for awhile. Really inconsistent scheduling, some weeks you'll work 12 hours or 20 hours or 25 hours. You can never plan anything a month ahead as the schedule is out every 3 weeks. Short shifts for returning employees that came back from school. Some CSMs are awful and don't do their jobs, you'll get coin orders late when you're basically out of everything. They always disappear and are never to be found until 5 minutes later. It gets quite busy, we are usually short staffed since didn't book enough cashiers or some called in sick.
If you are looking for a part-time or seasonal job Walmart is perfect, but due to the constant competition between old associates and new hires, it is almost impossible to stay employed with reasonable hours each week for very long.
Pros
Easy, low-stress work
Cons
Limited hours, poor management
I was commended for being a good worker and received good performance reviews. However it felt like it was never enough. Virtually every shift I worked I was expected to push myself harder and harder to accomplish whatever was given to me. I felt thoroughly exploited and trapped, and occasionally tossed hollow compliments meant to placate anxieties.
If you consider the Job responsibility and workload, salary is not even decent for the hourly associates. Otherwise, pretty good place to work. Culture is good, management is good other than salary as well.
What can I say it was Walmart, Amazing people however! Walmart was a typical customer based job. If you are not good with people then this is not the job for you.
Cons
minimum wage
My review is for the Walmart Stone Road and management over there sucks!! Most of the management (minus a few) is rude, uncooperative and somewhat privileged. They act as if they know everything but trust me they are horrendous at their job. Store manager is ok but she listens a lot to very incompetent managers who are nothing but toady. Just imagine a guy calling himself a manager who was not too long ago a security personnel. You will always see him roaming the floor with higher ups acting all reasonable but in reality is plain rude, manipulative and at best shoddy. Worst place to work as for them you are nothing but a "robot" with no social or family life and are just living your days for Walmart.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
incompetent management
• Cross trained all associates to pick and fill orders for all warehouse products. • Promoted and maintained a safe work environment ensuring compliance with company safety policies. • Followed procedures at all times for personal and team safety. • Unloaded incoming trucks and properly staged inventory. • Maintained accurate stock records and schedules.