Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Carleton Place, ON

Walmart is a very demanding place to work, both physically and mentally. Pay is minimum wage. Performance is monitored all the time. Little perks such as coffee and snacks on payday were taken away. Even the water cooler was removed. Bottom line is you give a lot, and don't get much in return.
Pros
Most associates are very nice.
Cons
Hard physical labour and low pay.
As a cashier you are in one place all the time so it gets repetitive not moving around at all. But if standing in one place all the time while chatting up a storm Walmart cashier is the place for you
If you have full availability and like to be a part of the team at Walmart you will enjoy the experience. There is always room for promotion if you put yourself out there. The people I worked with were great and I had fun with the customers as well.
They have lost some amazing employees, because of the company. i would have to be completely broke, and have run out of every option, before I would work there again. Again one of the WORST companies to work for.
Management dont care when you can or cannot work...they schedule you for whenever and expect you to find coverage for days you weren't available. All about speed and getting Mastercards not about the customer.
I loved getting to know the till, I enjoyed ringing in costumers products and bagging them. I also loved being able to make some people at least smile during my shift. I however preferred working on an actual till instead of the express lines which some of my co-workers thought was weird.
Flex schedule means work when you are available but they only schedule on days/times that you aren't. Then they say it's your responsibility to get those shifts covered. Speed over customer service. They don't care about your family life days you need off.
I enjoyed learning new things and working with customers. There was always something new to learn. Management is just like most places some are easy going and others not so much. Overall it’s a great starter place for youth.
My time at Wal-Mart started out great! It was enjoyable. Management was approachable and friendly. There seemed to be room for advancement. That changed. Managers would lie to my face, make promises the had no intention of keeping and make unreasonable demands. I saw managers swear at and belittle associates in front of others. The environment was incredibly toxic.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Walmart?
As a Walmart associate, I do not look forward to going to work. The management at our store is a large reason why my shifts are not enjoyable. There seems to be no accountability when it comes to the front end Assistant Store Manager. The schedules are often unfair and inconsistent, with no flexibility. It is very stressful when there are not enough people scheduled and it is left to one or two people to do all the work.
Schedules are all done on paper and often don't get posted until the same week of the shifts. If you enjoy standing for hours on end, then this is a good job for you.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Hard on the joints
7.5 hours on my feet & expected to get to any part of the retail area quickly. People I worked with were pleasant to work with. management was not supportive of employee needs.Friendly coworkers and assistance from other departments.Balancing customer relations with trying to unfriendly customers. Meeting new people and interacting with customers.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
constant running from one end of store to another
I had this job in high school. I don't remember much about it in terms of if I was hired as a part time or full time employee. I would work from 3pm after school until 12am most of my shifts. It was a decent job for me; I worked the cash register and did it pretty well considering I barely got enough sleep due to homework and school. I ended up leaving due to my grades falling and worry over graduating.
I've worked at Wal-Mart for 10 years and it has helped me know what to expect in a work place. It has given me a lot of experience working with people and helping customers.
Pros
Benefits, Discounts and profit share
Cons
Low on staff
While I worked for the company a short time I got more training from fellow associates than my manager. She only ever talked to me when she needed something done and never liked to answer questions. It took 5 or 6 pages over the store speaker to even get her to answer, and when she did she'd never really be any help. She was also fond of paging me to clean up an area of our department while she was standing in it.
Pros
friendly associates, good hours
Cons
bad management, lack of training
The company puts high pressure on associates to succeed, which can be good, but does not pay enough or offer sufficient benefits for it to be worth it. Walmart management can create an unnecessarily high stress environment. Hours are often inconsistent and either extremely early or late.
Pros
Organized company with standards
Cons
Pay and management
I was a cashier for over six years and experienced four different managers. The last one took the store into the gutter. The place became demoralized, filthy and drove some regular customers away. Many of the staff when I started had been there for years but the current manager made the culture too horrible to work in so many of us quit. Which is quite disheartening because we were a happy bunch. The only way to keep management off your back is to become a robot. You must get credit cards every shift, never call in, swallow your pride and let most management comments roll off your back because their expectations are extreme. So sad to observe such a downfall in a formally positive work environment.
Pros
10% discount and you could shop on your one hour lunch break.
Cons
Management and lack of intervention from head office despite all the turnover.
I was always scheduled to work long hours during the weekends since i was attending school full time which did not allow for other festivities. Once i out in my two weeks notice since i was going away for school,They began treating me horribly.
Walmart, though a successful company, does not value the day to day interests of customers or employees. There is little advancement opportunities due to favouritism, and the environment for employees is unwelcoming and uncomfortable. There is little appreciation for good work, but is often demeaning and hard on employees, despite of good work. This workplace has internal management issues that were not addressed in the year I was there, and was overall an unchallenging, poorly managed store.
Pros
Above minimum wage payment, fun days
Cons
hard on employees, favourtism and little advancement opportunity
Walmart is a good job for in-school and high school job. The management team isn't very pleasant though. Very rude and doesnt care about any of the employees and only focuses on getting master cards. If you dont get master cards you get sat down n spoken to and trained. Also, they don't give you hardly any hours due to hiring so many employees. Other then that the pay wage is fair.
Pros
Higher then minimum wage
Cons
Managment
I very much enjoyed working with my team. I found the over night shift was a good family. My assistant manager at the time was a good teacher to those who needed to be taught new skills.