Walmart

Walmart Employee Reviews in Airdrie, AB

Walmart could be a good place to gain some short term experience in the job world, however, my experience there was less than favorable as I was forced to work long hours without appropriate breaks and felt underappreciated by upper management. They also were not flexible with my preexisting schedule which included full time high school and after school competitive athletics.
Overall it was a good experience. Good people. My manager was good but not all managers were very supportive. Bottom line is that it was a part time job and I needed a full time job. Some people were able to make it work but I was not able to deal with being cut to 10 hours a week in the month of January. It is not for everyone bit it was a good opportunity for some supervisory experience so I am grateful for the opportunity
This is a very fast paced environment, with good team players, though communication is lacking. Hours are severally cut back after the Christmas season is over.
I worked as a cashier at Walmart for awhile. The Front end manager at the time was very unprofessional and quite miserable. I was always stationed at the far end by grocery which was very high paced. A few of my co workers said they were told if they didn't push the Mastercard hard enough their jobs were in jeopardy. The store manager himself was very polite and noticed hard work and dedication. Instead of hiring within for front end supervisors, they would hire inexperienced people who had no knowledge.
I started working at Walmart in November and worked there during high school. i stopped working there because of a military move to Victoria BC. I loved my working there and i had a very happy and enjoyable environment. My co-workers were respectable and fun to hang around. the management team let me have it really easy because i missed a lot of time of work because of sickness. I loved working there and i would love to work there again
Good place to work for High School student. I was doing Fulfilment associate work and was able to get shifts based on my availability. Great benefits and good overall job
There are plenty of chances to learn multiple department and there are extra training provided by the company such as first aid and power equipment training should you choose to take it. There are not very many opportunities to advance within the company and the environment can get very toxic within the co workers. Management is horrible at communicating with each-other or with the employees. Overall not a horrible place to work at.
Pros
Lots of learning oportunity
Cons
Lack of communication
As long as you do absolutely everything you are told and work like a machine without an independently working mind you will do just fine here. If you have any sense of individuality or have a life that requires some time away from work you may not find it ideal.
Pros
Decent benefits, holiday parties
Cons
Low flexibility, high performance expectations
I have no complaints in regards to my time at Walmart. During my time there, which was cut short due to personal reasons, I experienced a comfortable and uplifting environment, helpful and friendly employees. Understanding management, made my exit feel so stress free during a difficult time. The location I had the opportunity to work at was such a wonderful introduction to healthy workforce though it wasn't my first job.
Pros
Management, employees, customers
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Walmart?
The pay was low but the management was nice, the people were fun and I had a blast working there. I was in the Backroom, I'd be singing a difference tune if I was a cashier.
Pros
Fun and easy with lots of work to stay busy
Cons
Unpaid hour lunch, Staffing issues
it was good i had fun working there the manager i had was not really good but the head manager was good they could have done a better job scheduling and approving time off
Managers care little to nothing about the employees only about making their quotas, have little to no problem refusing employees their breaks and yes this is true had one manager who constantly tried to refuse me my breaks, and when told I was going for my breaks told me "I dont care get back to work", managers have no problem disciplining employees for things that they themselves do constantly, employees are under constant threat of losing their jobs over even the smallest of things or having their hours cut to the point of being unable to support themselves or their families, provided they got any hours to begin with, have had my hours cut down from 23-27 a week to 12-13 multiple times during my employment with walmart
Cons
Long hours at time, poor pay, little to no benefits, constant threat of losing job or hours
environment that pushes you to do the best you can - great on boarding and training programs that captures professional culture and customer care skills -opportunities to move around within the company, cross functional experience is considered an asset
At first it was a great place to work as I had asked for every second weekend off which I did initially get until a new manager took over. I felt like it was getting to be too much as I was hired as a cashier and not a sales person. Always had to ask if customers wanted to pay for bags, if they were interested in the Walmart Master Card, or if they would like to donate to what the cause was at the time. Customers would get very irritated and would get yelled at. Management didn't care though because they weren't the ones being yelled at. It was all about the numbers to them for Donations and Master Card sign ups. I found Walmart was very disorganized and multiple employees would quit all at the same time. The pay was absolutely horrible and if you didn't get enough master Card sign ups and it was time for a review for wage increase....you wouldn't get it because of that. I bent over backwards for them and never had a complaint from a customer but it just doesn't matter to them.
Cons
Wage/Management
the staff was fun to work with in the cashier dept. the shift scheduling was something to be desired. they would not work around shift changes and time off.
Pros
interesting people
Cons
poor shift rotations
While I can't say Walmart is amazing to work for it has been incredibly eye opening and fun for my time spent with the company. The store I work for isn't open 24 hours so working overnights I don't deal with customers. It gives me a bit more freedom to work fast and efficiently, keeping things tidy so accidents don't happen but still able to just move from task to task without worrying about running into someone accidentally or being forced to put down what I'm doing (if its time sensitive product). If nothing else time management has been the biggest thing I've taken away from my job. You learn very quickly the most efficient (and hopefully correct) way of doing your job so that you don't have to worry about leaving work for the next shift; but knowing that the next shift will be there if there happens to be a lot to do. Definitely a good job for part time students in the evening or people looking to get out of the house and get an extra paycheck coming in. They value family and team work and employee satisfaction just as much as they value customer satisfaction.
Pros
Fundraising opportunities, cheap paid lunches and treats, "themed" days (crazy sock day, casual Friday, Stampede week)
Cons
Occasional chaotic days, grumpy coworkers, harsh management (occasionally)
Your value of an employee to this company is how far and how deeply you will sacrifice your life for their needs as opposed to individual availability or capability. Thrown under the bus the second you are no longer needed despite lotalty and time dedicated to their cause.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
manipulation, politics, lies
i did several things at this job from helping customers to stock taking and hauling stock from wearhouse to the floor and different dept in the store. would alot of times had to help coworkers in other dept.
Pros
i enjoyed my time with this company for the way things are controlled
Cons
the management id very stress at all times
I have enjoyed the work. Talk to customers, and staff. Respect for the individual is being worked at to help one another to make our jobs easier. Need some work on not only making the customers number one, but also making the employees feel like they are important too.
Pros
Discount, new clothes, and groceries.
Cons
Standing, Heavy lifting, working on Sundays.
Loved the different options and opportunity's and the wide selection of job dutys to be learned and completed. Great staff and management. Taught me great patients and client care skills.
Walmart was my very first job and it definitely helped a lot with learning how to interact with customers! I was a cashier and felt it was a very quick to learn, good job. The day would go buy pretty fast, management and training were good. Flexible hours, set breaks, good pay. Overall a very good learning experience and first job.
Pros
Hours/Breaks, Pay