Wallace & Carey Employee Reviews

Great place to start
Forklift Operator, Backup Auditor, Picker, Checker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC10 October 2018
Great place when joining the workforce, cause they always have work and don't discriminate again anyone. Management may not be the best but they still are reasonable and will willing to help you get better. The culture of Wallace and Carey is very full of open and full of different nationalities, can get a great enjoyment when working with so many different people. The hardest part of the job is the slow advancements.
Pros
BC medical, no discrimination, and always hiring
Cons
Can be long hours and slow advancement
Awful place to work
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2018
Worst management in a multi billion dollar warehouse company I have ever witnessed. Their jacks/dollys are absolute garbage (along with their barely ever properly serviced trucks) and the pickers of the pallets. They'll stack on the heavy stuff on one side and the pallet will tip the second you get it off the lift gate, sometimes even before. They want you to work until you legally aren't allowed to; Sometimes they won't have anything for you to do that day so they'll just send you home. They like to fill their trucks to around 300% and tell us to avoid scales, which is one of the shadiest practices in trucking history. Avoid this place! Once they lose the 7/11 contract it won't be long until this company is gone. Due to treating their workers terribly and just all around awful management.
Great place to work if you aren’t a moron
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 September 2018
Warehousing has so many bad people in it that Wallace and Carey was a nice change. I see people with bad reviews on here and I know who they are. Fired people that couldn’t keep a job.

Great place, great culture!
Pros
Good pay, extras like pizza on stat days
Cons
Work every stat
Stab in the back,teamwork is a term not always a reality.Confusion.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 September 2018
If you have ever gone to work somewhere and felt you are training and learning what is being asked and completing your duties and asked on every day off we need you to come in to you don't fit in 3 weeks later,this is the place for you.To be told and blindsided that even though in a short time I finished my deliveries ,well before the deadline which is the main purpose of my job it didn't matter.To know that whatever the reason really was it wasn't because of my ability but on their lack of knowing or considerations of such things traffic broken equipment,amount of product change and delays to leave warehouse and proper trucks ,over hiring.In the end I was asked to change jobs because of my leaving times from warehouse ,ugh! which I also disagree because I still finished early and completed my deliveries.No answer when I brought this point up twice.The answer they gave me was,well we need a drivers helper and your the new guy.So again they lied.Read a few of the reviews see who do you believe.
Pros
money is okay
Cons
fake management -Confusion, ignore the real problems of employees, alot of hours hard on body and life
Great Place to Work! Family Culture
Operations (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
Teammates and management get along really well. Managment is always there when you need them to be and the teammates are easy to get along with. Real family-oriented workplace and everyone works together as a team!
big warehouse, bad management
Shipper/Picker/Swamper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 April 2018
The 2 big managers are very disorganized, the equipment was old, the workers werent trained properly, and the safety policy they have never got followed
Pros
dental and vision benefits after 3 months
Great Start To My Work Life
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC28 March 2018
This was a great company to get my start in the real world. l was able to advance my career while I was there and am grateful for the opportunity I had there.
Beware Shippers
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Not sure about the other departments (seemed ok honestly) but shipping was beyond horrible for me. I was there for 9 months and the company went through 8 shippers in that time, after about 4 months my day shift was just me and my supervisor. Management will give you all the annoying tedious tasks so their long time employees can relax and hide back up in the office/take really long breaks. They will overwork you all they want with minimal pay and no chance of any raises or job advancements (I couldn't even get trained on a power jack, considering they only have hand jacks its pretty needed). You'll feel miserable, and will be pretty much pushed to leave. Dont waste your time go work at mcdonalds instead.
Pros
Good cafeteria (cheap prices, good food), nice coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Full of lies
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 March 2018
Management is very secretive. No sense of teamwork. Everyone for themselves. Too many cutbacks. More work placed on remaining staff. Not a great place to work at all. No continuity of hours. Long hours, hard work. Want you to work like robots and treat you like dogs.
Insanely awful place
CDC delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2018
This place couldn’t possibly get any worse . You will be over worked and completely under paid. You will never see raises or any benefit to working for this company . The whiny bad workers get the special treatment and easy work while the best workers get punished and the worst runs. You will always be expected to pick up all the extra slack from the lazy ones . You will be lied to on a daily basis . They are always short staffed and the managers will dump everything on the few workers they have which causes good workers to leave.
It’s really a wonder how a pathetic company like this is still in business.
Pros
Newer trucks
Cons
Literally everything
Great place to work and grow your carear
National Sales and Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2018
Good people, good management. Great training and excellent exposure to the industry. The teams are helpful and you're are always supported. Wage is competitive.
Pros
flexable
Horrible management
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON23 January 2018
Horrible work experience.

Workers are great and friendly. Management are backstabbing and unprofessional.

Will talk behind your back and figure out ways to let you go. Instead of being upfront. Will demote and make your life horrible so that you quit.

Wallace and carey is not a career move. Just a job. It is a keep your head down and do your work and stay as far away from management as you can. Until you can find a better company.
Pros
Employees other than management
Cons
Management is horrible
Not Recommended
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 January 2018
Productive workers are rewarded by being expected to help the slower workers after they've finished. Highly productive workers can get better raises but no one will give you a straight answer about whether you're getting a raise, or how much it will be. There is often not enough good equipment to complete the job. Building can be very disorganized, and messy.
Pros
non-unionized, able to get ahead with hard work
Cons
Confusion regarding raises, poor equipment, no set end time; work until complete
not so bad
Order Assembly (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON2 January 2018
lots of walking, management is good, people are OK some not job is not bad a little difficult to get to by transit. lunches given twice a year some perks
Pros
lunches twice a year
Cons
no stability
fast paced busy warehouse
Receiving Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2017
this company will work you as long as they require you to, or as short as they require you to.
forklift operators could work long overtime hours in the busy season, or be sent home early when it was too slow.
the wages are kept low, and the incentives of pay raises are kept dangling above you to keep you working but are rarely ever given out. This is based off my own experience as I was directly involved with their employee review system. I myself had no real power to give employees raises but I was groomed by the management to find any flaw in an employee to make sure they were not eligible for one.

the management changed three times in the small time frame that I did work there, and this kept you kind of fending for yourself as far as figuring out how to deal with unexpected problems.
Backstabbing bad management
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2017
By far the worst company I've ever worked for. Overworked and bullied with completely unrealistic set of expectations. Management needs complete overhaul.
Pros
None. Free movie pass
Cons
Greed, theft, treachery
Warning to drivers
Driver Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON16 November 2017
Just a friendly warning to drivers thinking of applying to wallace and carey.

They start AZ drivers at 21$ an hour. The job is hand bombing into stores like 7 eleven, gas bars or inside malls/independent stores downtown Toronto.
Drivers are under paid for the work required.

Company is in a financial crisis.

RRSP contributions taken away.
Safety bonus for drivers have been taken away even to those that qualified.
No raises to drivers in 2-3 years.

Hard to keep qualified drivers because they move on to the competition. Core mark / Gordon food service.
Pros
Cons
Managment promises things to keep you qorking but then dont deliver.
Life at wallace and carey
Reach Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2017
A typical day my breaks were always hr to 2hrs late ,Some supervsiors care understaff most the time ,Hirer staff in the summer when its busy ,firer people in the winter ,workplace and teammembers good ,eqitment to do the job poor
Pros
teamate, overall good
Cons
managment dont know how to run a warehuse and most the time dont care
Good work expierence
Driver Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2017
A typical work day was completing overnight deliveries. I learned to improve time management skills. Management gave the opportunity for advancement, which lead to a driver supervisor position. Workplace culture was somewhat enjoyable despite working night shift. The hardest part of the job was physical labor combined with nights. Most enjoyable part of the job was working under little supervision to complete needed tasks.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Nights
Lots of data entry, filing, phone calls.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2017
A good entry level job. Not great pay but a very busy workplace in the office area. No room for advancement back in 2014 but there could have been changes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wallace & Carey. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9