Wallace & Carey Employee Reviews

Run away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2019
Worst place ever to work for, full of broken promises. They thrive on new canadians so they can bully them around. There is no work/home life, they force the overtime regardless of hours hired for. Management is horrible and will be two faced, no holiday time ever. They are closed only 2 days a year so forget about any real time off.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Long hours, no time off and forced overtime.
Steady work
Pickup and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2019
Was an alright place to work. They provide job security based on your performance which was reviewed every three months. Unfortunately the core management members have fall away from the company and its values
Pros
Caffateria with a tab taken from paycheck
Cons
Management needs to work on interpersonal skills
Terrible, just awful
Certified forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2019
I've worked some bad jobs in my time, but this place takes the cake. The managers blame the workers for everything, and then expect them to bend over backwards for them. Long hours, low pay, the benefits are the only saving grace. Management play favorites, they scapegoat, and they are not shy about throwing someone they don't like under the bus if it will save them from discipline. Do not apply here if you can avoid it.
Pros
in house, tab based cafeteria, even after hours
Cons
long hours, low pay, terrible management
awesome environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2019
It was a great place to work. awesome management always trying to get better at what they do in the company an great at relying on their team to get the job done properly if it wasn't for having to move to Fort Mc Murray would have definitely stayed within the company.
Pros
management. people
Cons
location
Constant job ads.. what does that say
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2019
Worked here briefly, thank god!! I got out shortly after that. Horrible place to work. If you see a company constantly advertising like this one what do you thiik that says about them?? Yup! Not a good run company!!
Pros
Non
Great place to work!
Picker (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 March 2019
I very much enjoy working at Wallace and Carey. A main reason is because of the order picker supervisors and managment. They are very open to communication. They help out with orders on a daily basis, and have always been very kind and easy to work with. They have all these responsibilities and yet they seem to be able to maintain friendly and personable attitudes. So its nice to work at a company who has those kind of people managing things and staying involved as a team. Co workers are easy to work around, its a busy warehouse in regards to the orders needed to be filled. So theres not much socializing till breaks. We all help eachother out so everyone can go home around the same time. Some days your there working overtime but you get paid for it so its worth it. The order picking itself either in the freezer or in the warehouse part is easy if you dont mind lifting and staying active through the full day. I definatly recommend working here!
Unproductive. Innapropriate managment. Poor business direction.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2019
The amount of work demanded does not fit the payment compensation provided. The hard workers are often worked to the bone until they decide to leave. Uncaring upper management. No holidays off. This company is also laying people off due bad business decisions. Managment and supervisors were prone to airing their dirty laundry to regular workers. 0/10 would not work here. Dont waste your time.
Pros
Free lunch. Only if youf on day shift. Regular workers are great.
Cons
Every other aspect of this business is unprofessional and trash.
It’s a trap
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2019
One of the worst jobs you’ll ever experience. Awful management, you feel like a slave working there and if your a forklift driver then you’ll have to deal with a lying backstabbing manager that has a rep of everyone hating him through the whole warehouse. And don’t forget if you ever want a raise you need to beg in the front office dozens of times and if you don’t they will take advantage of you and keep you working the lowest wage for years. Very greedy and dirty management as a company and would never recommend to anyone. Work at McDonald’s you’ll be happier.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Overworked in hours. So goodbye to personal life
Company doesnt care about employees
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 February 2019
Management n other office staff are not very nice very rude. Not friendly.. company only cares about themselves.
Warehouse manager doesnt have a clue.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Az driver
Az driver (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 February 2019
Place has a good starting pay. It doesnt really matter as they only give you 44 hrs week. And any good hard working driver needs work more then that. They have lay overs so you have sleep in hotel. They do not pay extra for that as some companys do. The manager there are very unaware of what its like to be a driver. None of the managers have ever been a driver and when you speak to them about issues regarding equipment they look at you like they have no idea what to do. If your a hard working driver who wants make good money this is not the place im sorry. If your ok with easy work below average weekly take home this the place for you.
Benefits
Cons
Managers
it was Ok
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2019
I was hired on as a Delivery Truck Driver and I was trained by some of the best guys. They were awesome, Learning from them and meeting the customers and doing the work was great. Going out on my own truck and being teamed up with a psycho swamper was another thing however. She had her own problems, I had to listen to, as well as her yelling and criticizism etc. If THATS not driver distraction I don't know WHAT IS. I had told management I don't like or want to be teamed up with her but they chose not to listen. I had injured my back on one of their tail gates and I was in the office doing light duties for a couple of weeks. That was fun, I got to know the folks a bit more, then I was back on the road, and I got HER AGAIN. She loaded the truck and the pallets where loaded to go every which way but in a normal direction which would have saved a lot of time, fuel and sanity .. BUT The Driver Manager chose NOT to listen to my explanation and yelled at me . HAVE a NICE DAY ..
Pros
Nice Warehouse
Cons
People have selective hearing
Professional company, questionable management
Shipper/Stock Receiver/Stock Replenisher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2019
My time there wasn't terrible. Frustrating at times, as there seems to be a lack of urgency for maintenance on equipment to be done. Things break down a lot, and employees are then reprimanded because they're not going fast enough. Even though they don't have enough working equipment to do their job faster. Management is all about the bottom line. They promote "we invest in our workers", claiming they will bring in training programs such as forklift certification trainers, but they never follow through. Employee gratitude is very low from front office. Floor supervisors are usually good people, minus the few lazy ones who sit in the office all day, and the ones who take 50 smoke breaks per day. Culture is touted as the be all end all but culture is tainted from the top down. Raises in wages are non existent. I worked there for almost 2 years and didn't get a single raise. My friend who was supposed to get a $1000 bonus from referring me to the company never received it. Benefits accounts are hard to access. Constant harassment to front office is the only way to get any information. The person in charge likes to conveniently forget. Upper management live and breathe this company, and they expect all other employees to as well. In interviews, they'll tell you overtime isn't mandatory, but when you're on the job, you're told nobody goes home until it's done. Anyone who can't stay for overtime is reprimanded for "not being a team player", regardless of any legitimate reason they have.
Pros
Benefits, Job Security
Cons
Overtime demanded, no raises, frustrating management
Dont waste your time revolving door company
Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 November 2018
terrible place to work
expect long hours in summer with no incentive
and will send you home after 3 hours in the winter
dont care about their employees at all all they care about is cutting costs
you will never receive a raise
management will talk about you behind your back and smile in your face
only a matter of time before they go belly up
Pros
literally nothing
Cons
work every holiday including christmas
Unprofessional, lowest wages in the industry, terrible management
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 November 2018
This company has some serious problems with professionalism and treating employees like human beings. The top managers and upper management will hold private meetings and badmouth teammates, using racist and derogatory names when addressing said teammates. You will be underpaid, overworked and under appreciated. Management is only concerned about CPU and cutting costs, at the expense of everyone’s safety in that facility. Dock levellers have been broken for over a year, 2 people almost lost their fingers on them. Trucks are poorly maintained, power equipment and pallet jacks are constantly broken. You will be expected to fill your truck past capacity and rush doing your run while getting phone calls from upper management to hurry up. You will be set up for failure working any department here. All the bad decisions come from the top 2 managers and upper management. The smaller managers and the people were great to work with. If you are not a yes man, or not part of upper management, you will be ignored when bringing up concerns. I learned a lot about dealing with racist people working at this company. I have never had so much trouble dealing with people until I worked here. I have had 10 years of customer service under my belt, and I could not handle working at this miserable place.
Great place to start
Forklift Operator, Backup Auditor, Picker, Checker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC10 October 2018
Great place when joining the workforce, cause they always have work and don't discriminate again anyone. Management may not be the best but they still are reasonable and will willing to help you get better. The culture of Wallace and Carey is very full of open and full of different nationalities, can get a great enjoyment when working with so many different people. The hardest part of the job is the slow advancements.
Pros
BC medical, no discrimination, and always hiring
Cons
Can be long hours and slow advancement
Awful place to work
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2018
Worst management in a multi billion dollar warehouse company I have ever witnessed. Their jacks/dollys are absolute garbage (along with their barely ever properly serviced trucks) and the pickers of the pallets. They'll stack on the heavy stuff on one side and the pallet will tip the second you get it off the lift gate, sometimes even before. They want you to work until you legally aren't allowed to; Sometimes they won't have anything for you to do that day so they'll just send you home. They like to fill their trucks to around 300% and tell us to avoid scales, which is one of the shadiest practices in trucking history. Avoid this place! Once they lose the 7/11 contract it won't be long until this company is gone. Due to treating their workers terribly and just all around awful management.
Great place to work if you aren’t a moron
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 September 2018
Warehousing has so many bad people in it that Wallace and Carey was a nice change. I see people with bad reviews on here and I know who they are. Fired people that couldn’t keep a job.

Great place, great culture!
Pros
Good pay, extras like pizza on stat days
Cons
Work every stat
Stab in the back,teamwork is a term not always a reality.Confusion.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 September 2018
If you have ever gone to work somewhere and felt you are training and learning what is being asked and completing your duties and asked on every day off we need you to come in to you don't fit in 3 weeks later,this is the place for you.To be told and blindsided that even though in a short time I finished my deliveries ,well before the deadline which is the main purpose of my job it didn't matter.To know that whatever the reason really was it wasn't because of my ability but on their lack of knowing or considerations of such things traffic broken equipment,amount of product change and delays to leave warehouse and proper trucks ,over hiring.In the end I was asked to change jobs because of my leaving times from warehouse ,ugh! which I also disagree because I still finished early and completed my deliveries.No answer when I brought this point up twice.The answer they gave me was,well we need a drivers helper and your the new guy.So again they lied.Read a few of the reviews see who do you believe.
Pros
money is okay
Cons
fake management -Confusion, ignore the real problems of employees, alot of hours hard on body and life
Great Place to Work! Family Culture
Operations (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2018
Teammates and management get along really well. Managment is always there when you need them to be and the teammates are easy to get along with. Real family-oriented workplace and everyone works together as a team!
dead end jobs
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2018
Don't apply if you hope to advance far in your career - the majority of everyone there are lifers and the nepotism is very strong. Be careful what you say and who you say it to. Managers lie right to your face.
Cons
Rife with middle managers all trying to backstab each other.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wallace & Carey. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7