Wallace & Carey

Wallace & Carey Employee Reviews

Featured review
Wallace & Carey selected this as a representative review
I have worked for a number of warehouses in this city and this one is different. Pay is a little lower than the big names, but benefits are incredible and not being treated like a number is worth it. If you work hard, they give you raises. And trust me, there can be some heavy days. usually in the summer. If you need time off for personal reasons, they are understanding. BBQs and pizza lunches for working stats, plus OT pay! Some people complain about having to work every holiday, but this makes for a great pay cheque! Its also nice to work in a place where you feel like part of a team. Working for a family company is better than being treated like a robot!
Pros
If you want to learn you will advance
Cons
Some managers are hands on with their team, some spend all day in the office
I currently work at W&C and have worked here for a few years now. I can honestly say I've never had a warehouse experience like this one. The staff are friendly and the management is supportive. They never leave any 'last man standing' and cross train employees so everyone can go home at a decent time. W&C also has high standards for productivity and distribution and I think that it gives employees a larger sense of importance and accomplishment. W&C is honest and transparent about how we are doing whereas other companies may leave you in the dark when it comes down to how the company is functioning as a whole. Another great thing about this company is that they promote from within, so everyone has fair game at new opportunities and moving up in the company.
Pros
Opportunity to make big bucks if you work hard, free BBQ's in the summer!
Cons
some days can be long depending on volume
The turn over rate is incredible and the company does little to nothing to appreciate staff. Teammates come into work everyday including nearly every holiday to be put down and told they are not doing good enough. if you do a good job they say nothing except see you tomorrow that is unless the head office which is in CALGARY says they don't like the numbers shown on a computer screen and decide you should be written up anyways. Communication is horrible between branches and the CONFIDENTIAL LINE is NOT CONFIDENTIAL
Pros
occasional pizza party, co-workers suffer with you
Cons
shifts can be 10-12 hours with 1 hour of breaks all day, under qualified management, favourites are clearly picked
absolutely the worst company around, nothing but broken promises and deception. Don't even bothering to apply, they take total advantage of you and will take more than they give.
Cons
When you work fulltime for 3 months straight and ask for 1 day off for a personal reason and your manager's comment is...we don't take days off around here! You want a day off, take the whole week off, unpaid. Needless to say people services was all over that comment. I've worked 20 years in warehouses and by far this one is the most unsafe and the management is poor! Don't waste your time.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Unsafe, Poor management, Poor wage, Not understanding if you are a single parent, No work life balance, No time off allowed in summer months.
Poor management, pretending they care about you. Bad workplace conditions. Low salary and high expectations. Was laid off after 1 year of work, with group of people.
Pros
free candies and snacks
Cons
very low salary, hard work
Wallace & Carey is a good, family oriented company. Opportunity to grow. Monday to Friday is an option which is good and everyone is nice. Also nice lunchroom.
I was not prepared for how physically demanding the job was and how much overtime you are required to work. During the summer months you can work as much as 11 hour days because it is so busy. There is a lot of bending, twisting, and lifting heavy loads. There is a lot of misinformation from management with shifts and weekly supplied lunches were regularly forgotten. Be prepared for long hours and working all statutory holidays, except Christmas and New Years day
Management is a great help when needed. Can be a little stressful at times, due to larger quantity orders. Fleet management takes very good care of the trucks as well, and keeps them in top shape!
Worked here for 15+ years and was unfairly let go around Christmas due to restructuring the company, unfair working conditions and NO life/work balance and they expect you to work even on weekends Bottom line is look else where if you want to have a life and not lose your job!
Pros
Cons
Unfair treatment of employees
Working in wallace and carey wears you out. They wanted you to take overtime even if you are very tired, they wanted you to finish all the orders even if its means that you work there for 14 hours. They dont give you incentives for a job well done and they promise you for a raise but it will not happen, you have to keep on asking and usually they break their promises
I enjoy coming to work everyday. Great team atmosphere. I like how we all work together to get the work done daily. Management treats you like adults instead of being treated like a child i have had at other jobs. Managers are on the warehouse floor working with us and always has time for each employee.
Pros
Lunchroom with full cafeteria
Cons
Work every stat day (but get paid extra!)
One Of the managers is a narcissist. Everyone back stabs other people . They claim to be a team environment, don’t let them fool you . If you work for them Watch your back .
I was downsized from the company after being there over 25 years. I was not treated fairly when it came to severance. Company president couldn't be bothered to come out and let us go. I was let go by people that were probably 30 years younger than me and with maybe two years of service with the company. They put a group of us in a room together. We were not allowed to take our personal belongings with us. The people who let us go were inexperienced, with 25+ less experience than most of the people who were released. I do not recommend this company if you want a long-term career.
No communication between anyone. Supervisors expect alot from employees. I really don't recommend this place. No respect for anyone who works there....
Losing their customer base, terrible customer service, credit department takes forever to resolve issues for customers. They are transitioning away from servicing retail outlets
no proper management unsafe working conditions completely unorganized improper loading of truck and product truck not maintained regularly very low wage paid for the work
Men and women were treated differently in the work place. Women are second class to men. Head office managers pretend to care and nothing changes. They talk about internal growth and only happens if you're a favorite. If you're not, you can kiss any opportunity to grow good-bye. You have to kiss a lot of butt to be noticed. Managers are lazy.
Needs a lot of mags emend help and over all great staff to work for and also have learned a lot sense I have been here in the short time that I have been here and great benefits, is room to grow with the company
Crazy unappreciated, work your head off pis poor wages unless you run all night on overtime witch you allways have to do anyway cause the trucks were so full..freezing cold temps terrible system for breakdowns (just wait all night practically until your next shift starts haha).
It's an interesting place to work in. workers are collaborative and supportive when ever the need be.The work schedule is great .fleet inspection and maintenance ARE GOOD
  1. Employee reviews