Wajax
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Wajax Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Calgary, AB21 reviews

branchshopsafetytrainingmanagerpoorsupporttreated

Fun place, pay for my trade was on the low side of fair for my trade, about 20% lower than industry standard

Great place but a little frustrating, so set in their ways middle managers would not listen to ideas for improvement allowing those ideas to flow upward. Mostly a fun place to work with good staff.

Pros

Fun environment and co workers

Cons

so so pay

Great place not considering management

Awesome group of guys to work with in shop setting. Management above branch manager was brutal to deal with. A lot of safety regulations are just generally ridiculous (banning sledge hammers...) Employees were great when it was busy and nobody was concerned for their jobs, as soon as it was slow they would throw you under the bus for anything. Lots of cliques, and politics between different projects in shop. Field work was much better because you didn't have to deal with shop snakes. HR is weak at best. Upper management will be the downfall of this once great company.

Pros

Good money, lots of hours when busy, paid during school

Cons

Laid off due to accting oversight, micro-managed

Insights into Wajax

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Fair

Worked for company for 31 years, what I found was everyone seemed to want to do what you were doing! I got along great with my supervisors gave me a job and I did it! Found there are a lot of wantabes working there, both in service and sales, seemed if you couldn’t make it in service you went into sales! Found that some of the upper management had no idea what was going on and really didn’t care!

Pros

Good training if you showed interest

Cons

Good pay

Very bad management

I worked at Wajax for 17 years, alway did everything that management wanted and then some. I was a supposed core piece to the business and thought I would retire from Wajax. Until management decided I was no longer useful and they terminated my position with no reason. very bad manager!!!

Coffee and snack available but slow on decision making process

Very slow on promotion and project implementation, but people very good and friendly. The hardest part of the job to initiate communication with management. All time busy for different things to do.

Corrupt management and unethical environment

Would not recommend Wajax for any sales positions. The salary and commissions were very good when the economy was thriving. Serious lack of communication between departments and very competitive among fellow employees.

Wajax has potential but lacks management.

I enjoyed working for Wajax. Great group of people to work with. Management has direction but unable to execute. They have the lines and potential to do much more in the market place but lack the management. At times they operate in the past with old ideas and systems. This could be a very strong company in the market place but it will require a great deal of commitment from management.

review summary

OK company to work for. Very slow, make decent money, good benefits. Company doesn't care much about the employees. They take and take, and never give back.

Fun place with very helpful and well-cultured workers

Very busy in both Engineering and Shop environments. Was in charge of Engineering design of Oilfield Skid -Type Standby Electric Power Generators. As a mechanical engineering technologist, I was also able to learn a bit more about electrical engineering with good understanding of most Codes and Standards. The management was ever ready to help in all diverse ways if a worker is in any form of need or trouble.

Pros

Getogether lunch hours.

Cons

When spare parts are late due to slow shipment.

Forward Culture

Excellent benefits and training opportunities for all employees. Management gives support to new hires with employee buddy program and vendor product training. Only downside is below average industry pay scale.

Pros

Training

Cons

Pay Scale

Enjoyed Environment

Friendly Environment. Admin hours are from 8 to 4:30 pm. Free ample parking. Some days can be very busy. Lots of free training. Room for advancement if in the right department.

Pros

Parking, Easy to get to

Cons

Laid off

sigh

great people in the mechanic shop, management is something lacking in humanity. Just mind your own business and dont get into any trouble and youll be fine.

Apprentice

Good people but poorly managed. Very disorganized and not well run. Parts inventory is poor right down to nuts and bolts. Shop tools are disorganized missing and broken.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poor management

Be careful of these reviews

I have worked for Wajax and anyone reading these reviews should be aware that anything over three stars are more than likely written by management. No one that I worked with thought that highly of the company or management so be careful.

Good group of guys to work with

The wages are good, benefits are above average, pension is a bonus. There is opportunity to do a large variety of work. Very nice shop with lots of tooling. The company is way behind with technology though, old desk top diagnostic computers, paper work orders and a poor parts system.

Pros

Nice shop and tooling

Cons

Lack of training

Awsome place to work

Great shop great bosses who teach you the best way to repair a vehicle. they are honest in the repairs that are done never doing repairs before talking to customers. really good repair shop and place of work.

Pros

overtime

Cons

dealer ship only can learn so much

Strive to Succeed

Wajax gave me every opportunity to grow and succeed and would still like to work for the company. The company has lots of potential in consolidation and growth.

Pros

Good atmosphere

Cons

Long hours, not enough direction at times

Professional and lots of incentives

Engine overhaul Transmission overhaul Heavy Truck engines and transmission diagnosis and repair Good, clean, safe work environment Great pay, benefits and incentives Too many egos and clicks but enjoyable on the whole

A company without visions of mission statement

Changes at Wajax are frequent but management have troubles to make a successful changes. Lack of skilled people and people leaving the company are frequent.

Pros

Good benefits and competitive salaries

Cons

No vision or mission, lack of skilled people and constant staff changes.

Wonderful Place to Work

Wajax Power Systems was a wonderful place to work. Everyone worked as a team which fits right into how I like to work. There were many challenges in this job but none I couldn't learn or excel in overtime. It was always comfortable at work as everyone was easy going and no one was micro managed. I started the position not knowing anything about how a diesel engine works and with time I got to learn alot about the parts and pieces that make the engine work! Most of my day was coordinating with suppliers on lead times for all of our inventory and parts. I looked after logistics and making sure everything went smooth from PO to delivery to the customer. I submitted PO's and work orders as well as change orders. Along with the coordinating role I also had to provide invoicing to the customer, which had to be coded correctly as well as make sure all costing was correct, there was completing monthly and yearly reporting to my manager, calculating commissions, and completing expense reports. So as you can see I did a vast amount of duties in my position. I love to learn new things! Unfortunately Wajax was downsizing and moving manufacturing to Edmonton and my position was no longer needed.

Pros

Easy going environment

Long term employment offers great advancement

Worked for Wajax for 13 years started in shipping and worked my way up to Sales Manager for Southern Alberta, Wajax offered great advancement opportunities.

Pros

Advancement

Cons

Corporate Management changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wajax. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement