Wabtec Employee Reviews

Welder
Welder and Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Doncaster22 June 2019
Come do your bit not pulling any trees up just consistent, keen on h+s extraction etc and job can be messy at times but ive had worse jobs for less money further away
Clueless team leaders and supervisors
Electrician (Former Employee) –  brush traction loughborough11 June 2019
I tried to think of something positive to say about Wabtec as a company, but couldnt.
The shop-floor lads (agency) are all spot-on, good skilled staff that help each other out.
Thats where the positivity STOPS !!!
It would seem, that if you are under qualified, incompenent, lazy and all round clueless, they make you a team leader !!! Even worse....... A Supervisor !!!
You really couldnt make up half of what goes on in the offices of Wabtec, i would say "see for your self" but im not cruel enough to recommend ANYONE works for them.
If you value your life and/or sanity........ AVOID !!!
Pros
shop-floor lads (agency)
Cons
Clueless managers
Working at Wabtec was an experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SC7 June 2019
The workplace culture was very mixed. Each functional team had their own way of doing things. None of the other functional teams were held accountable for being late on productions and deliveries.
Really need to upgrade overall
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 June 2019
I was a Test Engineer there. It has really outdated facilities, little to no training and poor management. They bank on the fact that most line labor needs them more than they need the workers. Hot, dirty, dangerous work conditions.
Pros
Easy job to keep
Cons
Everything else
If you have a family, stayaway
Compressor Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC23 May 2019
We worked 6 10's. Pay was great, but dont expect to spend time with your family. If you are single, and like getting dirty at work then this is your job. If you dont like busted knuckles and sweating, look elsewhere.
Pros
Pay
Cons
aweful management. erie went under
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Erie, PA16 May 2019
they treat you like you're a number, just another cog in the wheel. I used to like working but management changed and then everything changed. it's too bad
fair to good
Traffic and Material Control Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilmerding, PA24 April 2019
Must be willing to work avoid falling into gossip and rummer mill and you should do just fine. Iam not to write a book here , its if you are willing to work its fine. If you think you can glide through the day the 8hrs. will be tough!
Pros
union
Cons
2 10 min breaks per shift .
Management has no backbone
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PA28 March 2019
Off shift employees do as they please creating a hostile work environment.
Management is very poor and cut throat.
80% if union employees were good to work with and 0% managers good to work with
Cons
This place is going under fast
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Duncan, SC24 March 2019
Don’t work there they drug test every month sometime twice a month this is a dead end job I feel sorry for you to work there management sucks this place sucks
Cons
Vida social y laboral independientes
Calidad (Former Employee) –  San Luis Potosí, S. L. P.15 March 2019
Wabtec de México es una empresa para un buen desarrollo profesional que permite laboralmente desenvolverte sin dejar a un lado tu vida social, familiar.
Una buena empresa en términos generales.
Pros
Prestaciones
Cons
Oportunidad de crecimiento laboral
Dont get caught up in the trash.
Tester/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Wilmerding, PA6 February 2019
Dont get caught up in the trash here. Company is only worried about liability. It's like a typical facebook profile page. Looks good from outside thin you realize the scum they really are.
work like slaves
QA, QPS, and Safety Mgr (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 February 2019
Work for 10 to 12 hours and go home NO PLAYING HERE. Everyone is on a timer and expected to meet unrealistic goals or they are fired on the repair lines.
benefits
Cons
pay
Mechanical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire28 January 2019
Nice place to work steady away management are good and helpful the only drawback is the agency number that come and go means you cant build a strong team as the turnover is to high
Pit of despair
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire7 January 2019
Was at Wabtec for 2 years as an electrician, would never go back. Micro managed to death, they have more team leaders and supervisors than anything else. Yet still management is terrible, can never get materials or schematics when you need them. Have 2x standing breaks and 1x 20min dinner, and to top it off they treat and speak to you like a 2nd class citizen. half the people in there have no clue how to do the job but they are mates with the managers so get promoted etc etc. If you want a place to work where u can turn up, mong it and go home then by all means apply but if your decent go elsewhere.
Pros
So bad everything else looks good
Challenging but fun
Senior Planner (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, UK4 December 2018
The day to day tasks within the planning role are varied, ranging from production planning meetings, sales meetings, generation of internal document to updating the ERP system.
The company has broadened my knowledge of rolling stock and passenger vehicle.
The management style is to let employees get on with what they were employed to do.
The works place culture is driven by safety and KPI targets.
Administration in the role can be quite demanding.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the people I work along side of.
Pros
The people
Cons
Frustrating at times
Exelente
Coordinador Almacenes y Materiales (Former Employee) –  Mexico, ME19 September 2018
Muy buena empresa y grandes experiencias al igual buen ambiente de trabajo.
Okay
Production/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA7 September 2018
Wabtec was a good place to work.The hard part of this job was the training new hires. We didn't have steady workforce and had a high turnover rate, and they didn't stay long.
Pros
Learned how to co-operate with people.
Cons
High turnover rate.
Bad Business
Signal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL30 August 2018
I work in many projects and am able to learn and improve my railroad signaling skills and take advantage of opportunities to work with PTC systems and equipment. I work 40-45 hrs a week without overtime pay or comp time because my manager says that he has to work over 50 hrs a week without charging time. I stay late and work on weekends and holidays because manager is afraid to say no to customer's demands. Quality is inversely proportional to time. The quicker the job gets done, the more errors that get overlooked.

My manager takes credit for my hard work when deadlines are met but when an error makes it to the customer, he is quick to blame and deny my PTO requests. I have to use 8 hrs of PTO for a doctor's appointment.

No perks for tenure. I got annual raises that were less than inflation. Insurance premiums increase at least 5% annually. Health insurance refused to pay for my preventive care. Several coworkers applied with other companies just so they can get pay increases for staying with Wabtec's counter offer.

There have been two unannounced layoffs during my tenure. One was the week before Thanksgiving. Business culture is like one day I am doing my job and the next day I am doing my job AND someone else's job with no pay raise because that person no longer works here.
Pros
Ac
Cons
Soul Sucking
long hours and no life
Molder/ press operator (Former Employee) –  Maxton, NC17 August 2018
This place is really a prison, you work lost of hour 76 week
12 a day, there's no day off , you be slave, the money is good,but you slave your self, to this job, i work with brake shoe, is a hot place, no a/c, there's fan but still the heat , is a cold mine underground hot, no water, lunch break is 20 min, 10 min after that,
Pros
2300 every two weeks
Cons
Work 7 days, 12 Hours, HOT day and no rest
Worst Place Ever Experienced In My LIFE!
Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID13 August 2018
Never seen a place so devoid of hope. Many, many, roadblocks to fixing any problems. Most people lie to please corporate, managers, and shareholders.

It's sad, this place could be awesome, but it would cost money to fix the problems which are systemic. Since stockholders are the focus, we cant afford to fix anything, because they wont let us.

Always focused on more revenue and less cost, even if we keep loosing more potential revenue due to not truly fixing the problems.

Band-aids, workarounds, or additional processes are the solutions of choice, but never real solutions to anything.

So we kick the can down the road again.

Worst ERP anywhere, information in silos, no real capacity planning, understaffed everywhere, unreliable cost forecasting, fragmented systems, material shortages, deliveries always late.

Look for us in a few years, we may no longer be in business if things don't really change.
Pros
Fair Pay for some people...
Cons
Miserable Environment, morale is way low, understandably

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wabtec. Our community is ready to answer.