WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH
WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH Employee Review

Excellent place to work

23 November 2016
I’ve been working at Wabano for 3 years and have been impressed with my experience. Wabano has a sense of purpose and culture is the most important factor here. A typical day at Wabano includes working with smart people, providing services to our beautiful community and having fun.
5.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Great benefit Plans, Culturally rich environment
Cons
None so far
23 November 2016
Same role
Coordinator (Current Employee) - 299 Montreal Rd
Wabano is a Centre of Excellence on Aboriginal Health and is highly acclaimed for its medical services. I first heard about this organization while I was in University and was pleased to find a job here shortly after graduation! I’ve been at Wabano for a little over two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I have been given a lot of responsibility and get to collaborate with other service providers in Ottawa to ensure members of our community have access to the care they need. I’ve learned a lot about aboriginal culture. There is lots of opportunity to participate in stories, ceremonies, and teachings. And finally, I’ve made many lifelong friends here, including my manager. I have grown professionally and personally at Wabano. I feel I have to address some of the negative reviews here on Indeed as they do not reflect my experience with Wabano at all. There was a time when a few employees tried to get a Union into Wabano. It was a very stressful time as we were divided and there were a lot of hurtful interactions between staff. This is not at all in line with our culture or Wabano as an organization. Wabano promotes healthy relationships, healing and a place of belonging. The Union was decertified a year later so no, we don’t have a Union here now and things have become much more balanced again. Wabano offers full time employees health and dental benefits and RRSP matching. More importantly, we get to do real work that makes a difference in the lives of many people every day. If you are nervous about working here, you can always volunteer - more...
Pros
Benefits, culture
17 November 2016
Same roleSame location
Coordinator (Current Employee) - Ottawa, ON
I've been at Wabano for just over 3 years. This is without a doubt the most satisfying job I've ever had. The first time I walked into the Wabano centre, I felt like I was coming home. From day one, everyone here was so warm and welcoming. We are surrounded by beautiful culture and healthy, positive role models for our community. I am inspired by the dedication my co-workers have for improving services to First Nation, Metis, and Inuit peoples here in Ottawa. We work hard, but we also have fun!
Pros
Beautiful culture, food, and wonderful co-workers! Have fun while making a difference!
Cons
None.
13 March 2020
Same location
Support Worker (Former Employee) - Ottawa, ON
Wabano has great potential, management however is toxic and crushes the spirit out of workers. Workers are treated as expendable and many have been abused/harassed by CEO. Culture of fear exists, workers are afraid to speak freely knowing they would be unceremoniously fired. Fellow employees can be a joy to work with but hearing constant complaints about negative things happening in their departments can be draining. I witnessed massive turn over of employees while I was there. It is well known in NGO community of Ottawa that Wabano is unhealthy workplace....ironic for a health center. Some long term employees are sycophants for the CEO and will immediately run to CEO with any complaint you might tell them after they win your confidence, one more thing that makes work experience toxic.