WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH
WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH Employee Review

Everything is awesome!!!

8 January 2016
Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health is one of the finest organizations I have ever worked for. The management team members are highly qualified professionals who are very respectful. It is an honor to work at Wabano Centre however I wish staff members would make a commitment to sticking around instead of just coming to work here so they can get the "cultural component" they need to further their own personal agendas in pursuing high paying jobs. The high staff turnover is extremely difficult on clients and disrespectful.

Self serving staff plotted and slithered around for months until they successfully brought in a "union" to fight their own personal battles/agendas...shame, shame, shame on you.
Pros
culture culture culture
Cons
work hours
23 November 2016
Same roleSame location
Coordinator (Current Employee) - Ottawa, ON
I’ve been working at Wabano for 3 years and have been impressed with my experience. Wabano has a sense of purpose and culture is the most important factor here.

A typical day at Wabano includes working with smart people, providing services to our beautiful community and having fun.
Pros
Great benefit Plans, Culturally rich environment
Cons
None so far
23 November 2016
Same role
Coordinator (Current Employee) - 299 Montreal Rd
Wabano is a Centre of Excellence on Aboriginal Health and is highly acclaimed for its medical services. I first heard about this organization while I was in University and was pleased to find a job here shortly after graduation! I’ve been at Wabano for a little over two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I have been given a lot of responsibility and get to collaborate with other service providers in Ottawa to ensure members of our community have access to the care they need. I’ve learned a lot about aboriginal culture. There is lots of opportunity to participate in stories, ceremonies, and teachings. And finally, I’ve made many lifelong friends here, including my manager. I have grown professionally and personally at Wabano.

I feel I have to address some of the negative reviews here on Indeed as they do not reflect my experience with Wabano at all. There was a time when a few employees tried to get a Union into Wabano. It was a very stressful time as we were divided and there were a lot of hurtful interactions between staff. This is not at all in line with our culture or Wabano as an organization. Wabano promotes healthy relationships, healing and a place of belonging. The Union was decertified a year later so no, we don’t have a Union here now and things have become much more balanced again.

Wabano offers full time employees health and dental benefits and RRSP matching. More importantly, we get to do real work that makes a difference in the lives of many people every day. If you are nervous about working here, you can always volunteer
 - more...
Pros
Benefits, culture
13 March 2020
Same location
Support Worker (Former Employee) - Ottawa, ON
Wabano has great potential, management however is toxic and crushes the spirit out of workers. Workers are treated as expendable and many have been abused/harassed by CEO. Culture of fear exists, workers are afraid to speak freely knowing they would be unceremoniously fired.
Fellow employees can be a joy to work with but hearing constant complaints about negative things happening in their departments can be draining. I witnessed massive turn over of employees while I was there. It is well known in NGO community of Ottawa that Wabano is unhealthy workplace....ironic for a health center. Some long term employees are sycophants for the CEO and will immediately run to CEO with any complaint you might tell them after they win your confidence, one more thing that makes work experience toxic.