WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH

WABANO CENTRE FOR ABORIGINAL HEALTH Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
Wabano was a very hard place to work...There was a lot of pressure put on new workers to perform right away with little to no training provided. Workers were overworked, underpaid and have to put up with a lot of mistreatment from other coworkers. For a centre that really values its holistic/ Indigenous practices, values and morals it did not represent this at all. Wabano is so Colonized, it runs from a top-down perspective with little to no room for improvement or moving forward into higher paying jobs.

Management at all levels in Wabano is in complete disarray and disfunction. Your mental health will be in complete shambles dealing with management and coworkers at this building; lateral violence was present at all levels at the Wabano Centre.

The coworkers range from completely toxic to really caring there is no in between. Being crammed into a tiny office with 4-6 other people is horribly unnecessary. The system works against clients, its hard to see them face so many barriers and to see how upset they get with such high turnover.

Some major changes need to happen in order for employees and clients to feel comfortable. Preaching and practicing Aboriginal Culture from an Indigenous perspective takes a lot of patience and practice with employees representing these key qualities. Please be advised before taking a position here. Myself like many others have written poor reviews, please consider reading them before taking a position. "Wabano is like a revolving door" -its the saying that goes along with working here.
Pros
Some people really care, Elder sessions, External focused training groups
Cons
Job insecurity (be prepared to find a new job), tiny office spaces, abusive coworkers, lateral violence at every level
Wabano has great potential, management however is toxic and crushes the spirit out of workers. Workers are treated as expendable and many have been abused/harassed by CEO. Culture of fear exists, workers are afraid to speak freely knowing they would be unceremoniously fired.
Fellow employees can be a joy to work with but hearing constant complaints about negative things happening in their departments can be draining. I witnessed massive turn over of employees while I was there. It is well known in NGO community of Ottawa that Wabano is unhealthy workplace....ironic for a health center. Some long term employees are sycophants for the CEO and will immediately run to CEO with any complaint you might tell them after they win your confidence, one more thing that makes work experience toxic.
Horrible place to work, Management are corrupt, and turn over rate is high. Be careful, staff are always on the look out because you never know when you are next to be canned.
I was fired when I questioned budget discrepancies . Money had been budgeted but it went missing . Co-worker approached me and told me to watch my back . Terrible place to work . Lateral violence on a daily basis. 38 people out of 52 were fired in one year. I was hired for one job and ended up doing three with the same salary . Executive Director has some serious mental health issues going on.
Pros
clients were amazing
Cons
Management is terrible . Run fur your mental health . It’s an awful place to work
I worked for Wabano for over a year, at first it was great. The management was so unprofessional and they would just tell you what you wanted to hear to shut you up. At the time the director of health has clueless to Aboriginal Culture and she was awful at her job. There is no job security or advancements unless you're in their little group of friends, I always went above and beyond and was treated like trash! Being aboriginal myself I was shocked how I was treated and how Wabano was ran.
Pros
working with a few good people
Cons
parking, job security, management
If you do get a job here do not expect to work here for long. They have a tendency to fire you before your probation is up. You will be overworked overwhelmed and tired. They only care about how much money they can make. And pretty decorations.
Pros
Cons
Greedy managers
When I came to Wabano I strongly believed Creator brought me there for a reason. But I now know that it was not to work there. Wabano states that it follows four direction teachings and circle teachings in all that it does. It states that it integrates culture into a healthcare setting. And it does. There are some wonderful beautiful people working for the good of the community who work there. There are also many negative aspects. Primarily in management, job environment, work/life balance and that the teachings are not included in the Organizational aspect of the Centre, which has caused it to rot from the inside.

I have spoken to Elders who have stated they would never work there as a knowledge keepers, as they felt there was negative energy very much within the management.

This Centre holds the future generations of urban indigenous people, and I do believe they could do much better for the community if they had a greater employee retention. You will go there, accepting a lower pay grade than you deserve, believing you are apart of a community health centre. You are not apart of their circle. They do not sit with you in it, as they are speaking behind the backs of those who are.
Pros
The Community, cultural training
Cons
Everything else
wow...from day one, consistent drama in my department. All but 2 are original staff from when I was hired, most are there less than a year. Most don't pass probation, the good ones don't stay. All 3 of the people that hired me a year ago have left, all were managers. Wabano is a revolving door. Lots of lateral violence....I was asked to write letters against co-workers. Complaints from clients were taken over seriously, there is no harmony or unity between staff and management. Many of the upper management are non native. The manager of the medical department is a non native and is absolutely terrible at her people skills and how she interacts with clients. Sure, the building is bright and beautiful and it attracts millions of dollars a year as a corporation does, but if those walls could talk! Clients suffer due to the ever change in staff, counselors, workers and managers and inconsistency. Just the ED has been there since Day 1. I got what I could out of it, advanced my own personal goals and needs, then got out. Fortunately, I didn't rely on my position there to get by, personally or financially. Lots of folks do. And guess what? They don't want a homeless shelter next door?!??
Pros
access to information, culture, learning, Elders, do what you want with it so to speak
Cons
no on knows what Wabano wants, (they dont tell you when they hire you!) There management style is very abrupt and dominant.
Working here was not great because there is very little feedback and you have to watch everyone around you constantly being hired/fired/quitting in every department.
Pros
Health benefits, salary, flexible schedule
Cons
No praise, lots of criticism, no instructions, stressful work environment
Front line worker, fast paced consistently changing centre & employees. Enjoyed working directly and indirectly with patients, staff, clients, stakeholders, board of directors, parliamentary dignitaries, and partnered agencies. Culturally geared to service FN, Metis, Inuit of Canada. There are numerous programs which house a number of manager & assistants, communication and stability lacks which causes disruption of daily flow. I've enjoyed taking on such daily challenges and providing resolution. The health services provided are excellent contributions to the health and well being towards community and people of Indigenous descent.
Pros
Learning & implementing of Indigenous cultures and practices
Cons
High employee turn over rate
Wabano is probably the worst place i ever worked. The environment i felt there is poisonous and not too many happy employees. Management micro-manages its workers and constantly watching what you do, where you go and what time you arrive and leave including your breaks. They don't practice what they preach or their philosophy of the seven teachings, in fact its quite the opposite, and its all for show. Its a beautiful building but thats about all that nice about the place, apart from the medical services they provide. Working there was like being back in residential school and they don't even realize the negative impact they have on their employees. No wonder there is such a high turn-over there of employees. Worst workplace i've ever experienced in my life.
I really enjoyed my time at wabano! I learned so much about aboriginal culture. All the people that work there are friendly and willing to help you learn.
High turnover , poor working standards, abusive management. Worked at this place for several years was promoted throughout my time there and then wrongfully dismissed. This place does not hold the traditional values they claim to live by, by any standard. People are asked to lie about numbers by management and falsify reports as well as working outside of your contractual conditions. Wabano employs some good people and puts them in awful situations because said people are passionate about the community they serve. Dealing with the management and disfunction in the workplace was tougher than the job and clients. Serving the community is the best part of this place, but if you value your mental health stay away. The ED is an absolute nightmare text book sociopath outside of the building and in the public eye appears to be graceful and charming, verbally abuses staff and is condecending and micro manages the entire organization. "Centre of excellence" that's self proclaimed! It gets a gold star in promotion. This may seem like a disgruntled ex-employee rant and it sure reads that way, but apply and find out for yourself! Best of luck.
Pros
clients and coworkers
Cons
management
This indigenous health centre is needed and could do great things however the management and internal culture make longterm employment difficulty and the community is frustrated with the high turnover, staff dissatisfaction and staffing inconsistency.

The mental health director is PhD educated but using old methods which leads to huge frustrations with staff who are using research based interventions. Managing styles are micromanaging and rigid framework with little room to grow as a professional.
Pros
Access to culture, awesome frontline workers
Cons
Aggressive/verbally abusive management and ED
the best part of the job was NOT being the office, but out helping the clients!
typical high school drama in the office,

very mismanaged housing department,

internal reviews by a non-biased 3rd party agency is a lie, they're all buddies. how many companies have reviews twice a year anyways?

some staff are okay to work with, others need to work elsewhere, unfortunately this agency keeps those types of people.
Pros
great clientelle, learning community resources and partners
Cons
unless you lick the bosses boots, your not going to last long
Many of the reviews you are reading have been solicited by the HR Director at Wabano. Staff is extremely scared of loosing their jobs presently and must do their best to do as they are told. The staff turn over is the example of how bad things are at Wabano. To understand the turn over just read how many job openings this organization posts each month.
Cons
Working from 9 to 5:30. No flexibility!
I’ve been working at Wabano for 3 years and have been impressed with my experience. Wabano has a sense of purpose and culture is the most important factor here.

A typical day at Wabano includes working with smart people, providing services to our beautiful community and having fun.
Pros
Great benefit Plans, Culturally rich environment
Cons
None so far
Wabano is a Centre of Excellence on Aboriginal Health and is highly acclaimed for its medical services. I first heard about this organization while I was in University and was pleased to find a job here shortly after graduation! I’ve been at Wabano for a little over two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I have been given a lot of responsibility and get to collaborate with other service providers in Ottawa to ensure members of our community have access to the care they need. I’ve learned a lot about aboriginal culture. There is lots of opportunity to participate in stories, ceremonies, and teachings. And finally, I’ve made many lifelong friends here, including my manager. I have grown professionally and personally at Wabano.

I feel I have to address some of the negative reviews here on Indeed as they do not reflect my experience with Wabano at all. There was a time when a few employees tried to get a Union into Wabano. It was a very stressful time as we were divided and there were a lot of hurtful interactions between staff. This is not at all in line with our culture or Wabano as an organization. Wabano promotes healthy relationships, healing and a place of belonging. The Union was decertified a year later so no, we don’t have a Union here now and things have become much more balanced again.

Wabano offers full time employees health and dental benefits and RRSP matching. More importantly, we get to do real work that makes a difference in the lives of many people every day. If you are nervous about working here, you can always volunteer
 - more...
Pros
Benefits, culture
Cons
I've been at Wabano for just over 3 years. This is without a doubt the most satisfying job I've ever had. The first time I walked into the Wabano centre, I felt like I was coming home. From day one, everyone here was so warm and welcoming. We are surrounded by beautiful culture and healthy, positive role models for our community. I am inspired by the dedication my co-workers have for improving services to First Nation, Metis, and Inuit peoples here in Ottawa. We work hard, but we also have fun!
Pros
Beautiful culture, food, and wonderful co-workers! Have fun while making a difference!
Cons
None.
I have been at Wabano for a little while now. I have seen a lot of growth and many changes. The environment did go through hard times a couple of years ago because of the divide in the staff around the Union issues. Now that the Union is no longer in the Centre, the staff have been united and the environment has improved a lot. I feel that staff are respectful to each other and management is supportive.

I would encourage anyone reading these reviews and considering working at Wabano to come and volunteer at the Centre to get your own perspective on things. I have truly enjoyed my time here and the relationships that I've made both with colleagues, management and community have been rewarding ones. Clearly others did not have the same experience. Before making a decision one way or the other, it might be worth checking us out.
Pros
Colleagues, community, rewarding work
Cons
Pay
Working at Wabano was the most empowering and fulfilling times of my career. Every day I knew I was making difference. That didn't mean that every day was a joy, or that every day was a breeze...but it did mean that I knew I was in the right place, doing the right thing, with the right people.

Wabano is a trailblazer when it comes to Indigenous culture...they are integrating culture in day-to-day ways that other organizations can't. Sometimes it was uncomfortable because I was doing work in ways that I had never done them before. But for me, that was the honour - to be part of something that reflected the beauty and resiliency of the First Peoples in Canada.

I am so grateful for the time I spent at Wabano. It helped me grow both professionally and spiritually. I created relationships with staff and colleagues that I maintain today. And I became part of a community in a city that was not my own.