VOORTMAN COOKIES Employee Reviews

A difficult company to work with
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia20 February 2019
If you are considering an Independent Route be very careful, a lot of demands from the company, never ending pressure to purchase more product than you need, a payroll system that is so complicated you need to be a certified accountant to understand how it works. I do understand some routes do okay in densely populated areas, but if your route requires several hundred km per week in more rural areas your chances of success are very slim. As well Voortman has a guaranteed sale policy which means you buy back any stale dated products, in essence you buy the same product twice and lose your commission, THIS CAN KILL YOUR BUSINESS. Voortman boasts a 1% return rate this is nowhere near the actual amount of stales most distributors encounter, I have yet to speak with one who has achieved a 1 % return rate. The job can require a lot of hours on the road and nights away from home, you do get to meet a lot of great people and see a lot of country and you are your own boss. I would not recommend this company especially if the route involves a lot of driving, and when the time comes you wish to exit be very prepared, it is not likely to go as you would hope. They have you on a contract and will screw you as hard as they can, always remember Voortman is selling cookies to the distributor, not the public and don"t care what issues you run into they always collect. As some previous reviewers have said run far, run fast.
Pros
own boss
Cons
poor money for the amount of time and effort
Former route owner
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 November 2018
I owned sarnia route for 5/6 years. This company is crooked , force buys, screw with commission , most management don't care about distribution / route owners . You will go broke , and the company has its hands in your pocket all the way along your partnership , stay clear !!
Pros
Relationship with stores can be good / fun
Cons
You will never make $$
Former Distributor
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON31 August 2018
You make 14% on everything you sell. Pay for all displays. Account for 100% of your stales. Rent a storage facility for the product YOU ordered. And then there's the truck. A financial money pit. Gas insurance repairs parking if you can't keep it at home.. Yearly safety. Its commercial vehicle.
Then there is the possibility that your display racks will get kicked out of a store andl lose all the business because Voortman won't pay for space.
I got sucked in by the sexy of owning your own business. Dont be fooled! You will be disappointed.
Pros
Own hours sort of
Cons
C'ant make a living
Fun, quiet place to work.
Wafer Cutter (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 December 2017
Arrive at your line. Ask the cutter from the previous shift how the line was running, waffer quality, etc. Assess any problems that may be occurring and resolve those problems in a fast manor. Fill our required production paperwork through the shift. Perform any duties needed. Clean up line/area before end of shift.
Okay routine
Distributor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 August 2017
An okay every day routine, some challenges with in the company that made some days more difficult than others. I do not think I would work for the company again.
Manager is a greatperson to work for
Route Driver and sales (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 July 2017
Enjoyed helping out the area manager while they tried to find someone to purchase the route. The job is fun but demanding on your body. fun way to stay in shape
Pros
Your day is your own
Cons
Can be long hours
fun workplace
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON scarborough11 July 2017
Very independent working while always a way to increase sales. The more sales you drive towards the consumers the more money you can potentially make.
Good employer
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 June 2017
Supportive workplace, comfortable family feel. Good work environment, mature and easygoing management and employee culture. Few employee perks (besides cheap cookies).
Great eviroment
Loader, helper (Current Employee) –  Calmar2 October 2015
Waking up at 7a.m to leave by 8a.m going on a route, that was purchased. Driving to Grocery stores and selling the cookies to the store and setting up displays, and stocking the displays with cookies.
Pros
Some short days
Cons
Unexpected hours
company that lets you build your nest
Distributor (Current Employee) –  Kentville, NS15 January 2014
I have worked as a distributor for Voortman Cookies and its your decision on how it will work for you! If you are a self motivated person who can establish a good relationship with customers and have the ability to sell and service them, you can succeed with Voortman Cookies. You need to find the right market in every store, have the ability to know the limits of every store and realize the potential available with constant service. Voortman Cookies is a growing company with many years under its belt....this doesn't mean they just wing it....and I believe this to be true as an employee. I have always had support when I needed it from management by just a simple phone call or actual visit.
For me I make each day a new day and anticipate great results....meeting the receivers, managers and customers is a highlight.....sales in the end are good because of your positive nature.
Pros
work monday to friday, usually home by late afternoon or by supper, make your schedule work for you as long as your customers are happy, ability to spend time with my family, know that as long as I am selling I am making money for myself
Cons
sometimes alot of road time, somedays can be long, sometimes tight deadlines
Stay Clear
Territory Rep (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick16 October 2013
This company does not operate "above board". They have the perfect operating strategy for themselves with zero risk of product loss, leaving all expenses and claims in the hands of their distributors. Managers are trained to sell, sell, sell, as a result of this zero risk strategy. Trying to sell your territory is like trying to leave a cult. They hold back pay, territory costs and like to devalue the territory in order to bleed you dry. Stay clear.