VON Canada

2.9Pay & benefits

Insights into VON Canada

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Great Company to grow with

Featured review

VON Canada selected this as a representative review
Amazing staff, great benefits, compensated well, clear understanding of job assignments, advanced scheduling, helpful and supportive management team, geared towards client care and in the best interest of the families and clients they cater to, room for advancement, always helpful to teach or explain something new, employee recognition always noticed

Pros

Benefits, compensated fairly, room to grow and advance

Cons

My work hours (midnights) which was my choice, other than that I don’t have any cons to report

Pros & Cons like anywhere

Direct supervisors were supportive.Low wage for responsibility - This is NOT your typical PSW support position.I would recommend, so long as you are willing to advocate strongly for yourself and your patients.

Pros

Many delegated tasks, Compassionate supervisors, Amazing caregiving experience providing end-of-life care

Cons

Near constant call-ins resulting in missed care Poor wage compensation

Over burdened broken system, grossly underpaid

High stress environment, poorly managed with zero raises. More work expectations with no benefit even minimal cost of living raises don't come. Empty promises equal many staff leaving.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Salary for the work expected is laughable

good

its good no concerns team workmanagement goodflexible day rewarding people are friendly team workpaid sick days caring nurses in the teamrewarding

Pros

pay

Cons

Making a difference in homecare

If you want to be a leader VON will give you all the freedom to fly or fail.Flexibility within your work day is typical and needed as things change hour by hour. I have had the pleasure of getting to know many staff and clients.

Pros

paid sick days, paid vacation, pension, health benefits, ability to have influence on good outcomes

Cons

workload is heavy, constant stressful problems to solve

Stressful workplace with high expectations that exceed the pay grade.

The VON was the organization that bid and won the contract for our area when we went through divestment from our local hospital. We were not hired individually. From the time they took over we were constantly in a battle with them over our collective agreement. During the 10 years we worked for them we were only able to get a 13cent raise during that time. The Minister of Health decided to change the formula for paying PSW hours to the employers and that meant the VON could no longer afford to keep us as employees. Therefore we were all let go as they gave up the contract. So no. I do not have a good opinion of the VON as an employer.

Pros

You get a stamped Christmas card every year.

Cons

Split hours, weekends, expected to work early in the morning to late in the evening if needed

Great Company to work for!

Being new to Community Nursing my biggest concern was to have the proper training to succeed. The Managers were very supportive, and provide you with the training and skills you need to succeed in your job. They are always available to consult, or provide direction. The nursing team RNs & RPNs are amazing, and supportive! They all work together flawlessly to meet and exceed their clients needs. When someone is struggling with their day, they jump in to help out each other, and accomplish the tasks. A usual day starts with a team huddle in the morning, your day is planned out for you by planners, and you schedule your clients based upon location, care needs, or tasks required. The clients are truly special, and make this job rewarding. You do drive in some remote places, and do drive to multiple different locations but that is apart of the job as a Community Nurse. The only cons I would say is the rate of pay could be higher, but you are compensated for kms, extra time with clients, overtime, benefits, vacation time, etc. Also some days can be stressful due to a lot of visits to be completed, but all areas in nursing are facing the same problem of staffing shortages in a pandemic whether it's Community, hospital, LTC, Retirement, etc. If you want to work in a rewarding job, with endless opportunities to learn, enhance your nursing skill sets, and love what you do then VON is a job to seriously consider.

Pros

Lots of hours, Great Clients, Supportive Management and Nursing Team

Cons

Rate of Pay could be higher

Great place to work!!!

Great place to work, everyone here is awesome!!! Staff is so understanding, and caring. They really care about the clients and each other. Management are always there to support you no matter what you need. Great benefits, medical, dental and pension.

Pros

Great pay, awssome people

Cons

Don’t apply: this is your warning

If you want a career helping people, don’t work here. All they care about is money and very little of the client. Manager is never in office to know what is going on and therefore not helpful. You are expected to do so much in such little time for a salary this is a dollar or two above minimum wage. Not worth it. Don’t do it.

Benefits

Cons

Management, salary, stress

Don't walk away, run!

VON Is a 125 year old community support organization and it shows. Everything is antiquated. Little to no consistent business practices or policies are very outdated. Field Nurses and PSW's do a tremendous job as do the support teams. Support teams are overworked, underpaid and unsupported by Management for the most part, very many single points of failure. Many of their processes are still pen and paper with fax machines 20 years into the 21st Century. Sr. Management are oblivious and don't know what's going on in the field but they are good at patting each other on the back. There is no overarching vision of what this important organization should look like, nor do they possess the technology or tools to properly manage and support employees working in the community, each site is it's own nepotistic little fiefdom with little to no oversight or standards. All in all a very poor environment to work in and staff burn out quickly, there is a lot of employee turnover, 20-25% annually. The only reason VON continues to exist is the Government continues to fund it, if it was a revenue based business it would be long gone. At best a temporary stepping stone to a more rewarding career somewhere else.

Pros

Staff and employees are very dedicated and trying their best but it's never good enough.

Cons

Antiquated, outdated, poorly managed, no raises, old technology. Benefits are almost non-existent and very expensive.

Great team members, a lot of driving, great training, unrealistic expectations from management

In visiting nursing expect to run, especially on evenings! You have a start time, but never know when you will end. The nice thing is your day can be varied and you really can learn a lot in a short amount of time. The older nurses or those that had been there a year or so really would do their best to help everyone out, especially the new staff. That was really nice when you were being sent to new clients all the time or you ran into something you couldn’t figure out. It was a nice team to work with that team of nurses for the first few years, then the staff changed so much, we had to work such long hours and with so many clients that no one had time to help anyone else. The managers I had initially were amazing and super supportive. They appreciated the work you did and would take time out to thank you for your hard work or how great you did on a client’s care. If a client or their family took the time to call in to share positive feedback, they would share it with you and celebrate it with the other staff by email….they even had an appreciation program that just made you love coming to work. It made you want to do more for them.Then the management changed to two older managers with very unrealistic expectations and a younger less experienced manager. When more then half the staff quit, that was telling!! There never was any work life balance, but it got worse. The “8” hour days that I worked 12 to 13 hours became “12” hour days where I got so burnout and had so much pain that it was hard to continue, which I didn’t understand at the time. Those days became “16+” hours by -

Pros

Health/dental benefits, lots of learning in visiting nursing, paid days off as a part time staff

Cons

Long hours, low pay, a lot of driving and little consistency in visiting nursing, almost no mileage to get to shifts an hour away from your house in shift nursing.

Was a rewarding job but no union

I enjoyed working on the eshift but because it was a new program we had no union representatives. Pay was good, best rate for a PSW but a very heavy job. Midnight shifts were mandatory and after a year was exhausting.

Pros

Rewarding position

Cons

No flexibility for schedule

Disappointed

Pros- paid vacation- paid sick days that accrue and carry over from year to year acting like a short term disability - retirement plan Cons - constant payroll issues- constant scheduling issues resulting in frustrated clients and missed visits - poor communication from management (all levels)- policies and procedures only followed when convenient

Pros

paid vacation, paid sick days, pension plan

Cons

Payroll constantly shorts bi weekly pay, zero transparency and poor communication, CSAs not trained proper

Great job, busy/stressful days at times

Spent a number of years working in hospital in various departments and I can confidently say VON home care nursing is a substantial improvement from the stresses of hospital-based work and high acuity environments. VON comes with it's own types of stress - high workload demands, overtime, problem solving and working alone, challenging ergonomics for protecting your back/body due to being in people's homes, and at times poor consideration for the time frame required to complete assigned visits (i.e. not being allotted enough time to properly complete what is required of you). However, that said, you aren't penalized for going "over time," it just impacts how your day is planned and creates unnecessary hiccups for everyone in managing the workload. Because of time constraints, nurses often overlook some details in client care - determining time required for care needs, keeping supplies organized in the home, creating appropriate supply orders, communicating things to the oncoming nurses via the CSAs, etc. You send a LOT of emails in the run of the day. There are minor inefficiencies in the system, such as having to look up doctor fax numbers on your own, chasing people for orders, etc. The nurses who work for VON are fantastic and everyone is so quick to help one another out with questions etc. Management is supportive as they can be, given the constraints they are also put under. Working in people's homes is amazing - people are so friendly, welcoming and appreciative of the services provided. You keep your skills up to date. I would recommend having some level of nursing experience -

Pros

adequate compensation, work alone, autonomy and independence, less night shifts, supportive environment

Cons

working alone, high workload demands, constant changes to scheduling, high level of stress and responsibility

A wonderful organization to work for

I will always work for this company. Managers support and encourage their staff. There is opportunity to grow and managers always encourage learning and independence. Everyone always seeks out more money from their employer but money isn't everything; it doesn't buy happiness or job satisfaction. There will always be aspects of every job that is not satisfactory. No job/career choice is perfect! I feel very appreciated in my role and I am never alone with any struggle. There are always managers available to help support and trouble shoot with you. VON has a wonderful team environment and leadership. For these reasons, I plan to retire with this company. I honestly LOVE working here!

Pros

Supportive Management Team/ inclusive, team environment

Cons

non-union staff often wait too long to receive a pay raise.

Niagara Branch

I worked for this company for 7 years in the community and school system , absolutely loved it. Manager was flexible , understanding and not aggressive. Not sure why things had to change, but a management changed happened ,and that was it. Many nurses left , which was so sad to see. Zero raises, schedule hours decreased. Benefits are very expensive, scared to call in. Very unhappy environment.

Pros

Community

Cons

Pay very low, no breavement, driving all over the Niagara Region.Shifts canceled non stop.This company is cheap !!.

Niagara Management

. As an RPN who had worked at this branch for 4 years I enjoyed my job. Last year this company hired new Management and it's been a nightmare . I was bullied , different rules when it came to scheduling, who got what client. Management interfered with the scheduling. Management manipulated the union contract with staff. Management has strangled staff so much with rules , upon rules, you can not even provide care effectively anymore. There is no raises, there is no BREAVEMENT pay, you don't get paid extra when shifts don't end at the correct time. Shifts are canceled, you drive all over the region in all weather . When calling in sick , your so scared of management as the verbally bully you while your on the phone. Really toxic place and it was never like that , till this pass year. Shame they had the best nurses in the region and they all quit .

Pros

clients

Cons

low pay, unapproachable management, car damage from high mileage, shifts canceled. Unfair scheduling. No advancement. Always working on expired contracts.

Overworked, Underpaid, No support from management

overworked all the time, underpaid, very very long hours, on-call paid at a rate of a cup of coffee an hour, raise of just a few cents every couple of years, management that doesn't care and doesn't support.RUN

Pay is low and Benefits expensive

Loved working at the VON. Colleagues and management were all amazing to work with, felt like a real team. Volunteers were incredible and treated with respect and dignity. The only reason I left was the pay was just too low for the job, and the benefits were costing quite a lot of money for little services. I had to move on and was very sad to do this, but at the time, the circumstances just couldn't keep me at the VON.

Pros

Collegues and clients

Cons

low pay, expensive benefits

New Management ruined this company

New manager in the Niagara area ruined this company. Very sad to see excellent , dedicated nursing staff leave due to new management. A lot of mind games played with management. Pay is very low. Driving all over the region in all weather. Shifts canceled non stop. Sad to see how this company quickly went down hill.

Pros

clients

Cons

very low pay, unfair scheduling, will not pay for overtime work, benefits are expensive and shifts are canceled all the time.

Work life balance is key to culture

There is advancements everyday in ways to improve work like and balance it with home life. The listen to concerns and frequently get our opinion. We work independent enough to have all the benefits of that, as well as team members a ohien or zoom away to help whenever needed. Providing care to one person at a time and keeping client's at home really drive the culture.

Pros

Indepndence, mileage, continuing education

Cons

Similar to all health care jobs, access to health care services and support vulnerable people need. Ie no family doctor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9