VON Canada
Happiness score is 61 out of 100

VON Canada Employee Reviews

Great Company to grow with

Featured review

VON Canada selected this as a representative review
Amazing staff, great benefits, compensated well, clear understanding of job assignments, advanced scheduling, helpful and supportive management team, geared towards client care and in the best interest of the families and clients they cater to, room for advancement, always helpful to teach or explain something new, employee recognition always noticed

Pros

Benefits, compensated fairly, room to grow and advance

Cons

My work hours (midnights) which was my choice, other than that I don’t have any cons to report

Great place to work!

I’ve worked at VON for nearly seven years, and I love it here! I work with an excellent team, it is a joy to come to work and feels really good to help our communities❤️

Fast pased little to no break times

Employees get paid per client and although each client is supposed to have a minimum 45 min visit people are squeezing in 3 people during that time and not giving proper care. It felt like being punished for doing a good job. I would work 10 hour days and girls working 4 made more money than me

Pros

Supervisors were really nice

Cons

Schedulers dont respect your appointment times and breaks

Professional

I made the best decision in my 30 year nursing career coming to this company. I had a huge learning curve but have been completely supported by my team of colleagues.

Pros

A great work life balance

Cons

Not working face to face with everyone

I have been with the VON for 10+ years and wanted to provide an honest review. As a new grad its a great place to start because of the critical thinking and skills you gain. As an experienced nurse you get to be independent, full scope and have new experiences daily. No day is every the same and there is constant learning and new skills to take on in the community. You get the opportunity to take on students and I have never been denied an educational request.

Pros

independence

Cons

lower wage than the hospital

Enjoyable and easy to spend time with clients

Enjoyed the atmosphere of being able to go into client’s homes and be able to assist them in the comfort of their homes at their own pace. Overall I enjoyed the experience of working in the community with VON.

Toxic environment and very unprofessional. but I lived my job (the work part)

I do not recommend working in this office setting as it is very toxic. Employees that ha e put years of their time and experience are not appreciated or acknowledged.

Do yourself a favour and stay away from this company!

I worked as an RPN for this company for a short period of time. No respect amongst fellow nurses, managers, and client service associates. Orientation consisted of shadowing a nurse for about two weeks and then being thrown into the community without much training. I was assigned 9-10+ patients a day on a regular basis due to poor scheduling and being short-staffed 90% of the time. Resulting in breaks not being taken and running into overtime constantly. I was working basically everyday with barely any time off. I found myself overworked, stressed out all the time and unhappy so I left. BEST DECISION I’VE EVER MADE!!!!

Pros

Cons

Toxic morning conference calls, unorganized company, poor pay wage

Management Needs Improvement

It’s a company run by nurses. They’re all amazing nurses but aren’t great at managing. Most of them have my managing experience so it tends to lead to problems in the office with moral

Don’t apply: this is your warning

If you want a career helping people, don’t work here. All they care about is money and very little of the client. Manager is never in office to know what is going on and therefore not helpful. You are expected to do so much in such little time for a salary this is a dollar or two above minimum wage. Not worth it. Don’t do it.

Benefits

Cons

Management, salary, stress

Jobs at VON Canada

See more jobs

Don't walk away, run!

VON Is a 125 year old community support organization and it shows. Everything is antiquated. Little to no consistent business practices or policies are very outdated. Field Nurses and PSW's do a tremendous job as do the support teams. Support teams are overworked, underpaid and unsupported by Management for the most part, very many single points of failure. Many of their processes are still pen and paper with fax machines 20 years into the 21st Century. Sr. Management are oblivious and don't know what's going on in the field but they are good at patting each other on the back. There is no overarching vision of what this important organization should look like, nor do they possess the technology or tools to properly manage and support employees working in the community, each site is it's own nepotistic little fiefdom with little to no oversight or standards. All in all a very poor environment to work in and staff burn out quickly, there is a lot of employee turnover, 20-25% annually. The only reason VON continues to exist is the Government continues to fund it, if it was a revenue based business it would be long gone. At best a temporary stepping stone to a more rewarding career somewhere else.

Pros

Staff and employees are very dedicated and trying their best but it's never good enough.

Cons

Antiquated, outdated, poorly managed, no raises, old technology. Benefits are almost non-existent and very expensive.

Avoid Von for long-term employment

The worst pension plan in all of healthcare. After 20 years you are given a deduction of 10 years, so pension is as if you only worked here 10 years. My financial planner says it is the worst he's seen and I will retire in poverty. The pension is enough tp cover groceries basically.Busy and stressful, nurse managers are not supportive and there is a blame culture as opposed to a mentoring relationship.

Pros

Able to work part-time

Cons

Too many to list.

run don't walk

not a good place to workmanagement is poor and will not accept responsibility for anything. If something goes wrong they try to pass the buckif managers don't like you, you are gone or they treat you badly so you will quitmanagers are never around when you need themstress level is very high

Pros

Cons

everything

Amazing team and Room for advancement

Such an incredible company. I am always learning something new. The TA team is very supportive and always willing to teach. The manager is very supportive and helps us to find solutions for our work and problems. The team is also so supportive and the work is evenly distributed.

Pros

Work from anywhere

Cons

Lots of meetings

Von does not value their staff

No room for increase in wage. You will never make as much as a brand new RPN working somewhere else. Work/life balance is impossible. A strike occurred in 2021 where upper management strongly mistreated their front line staff, pushing all of the RPN’s to quit. A sad organization.

Pros

Fresh air

Cons

Poor pay and no work/life balance

The worst place I have ever worked!!!

Stay away from this organization if at all possible!! The senior management was the worst. Very intimidating behaviour with zero empathy towards their staff. Also, absolutely no team spirit. Everybody works within their own bubble with a selfish attitude. Moreover poorly run organization with no planning top to bottom. It's a sinking ship!

Poor pay + zero opportunities = equals dead end

Management, no matter how good, cannot overcome what VON has decided to become - a race to the bottom. VON Talks the Talk - and they appear to pay whatever marketing team they can to make them look caring and concerned, but the reality is they don't Walk the Walk. They will spend their money on anything else but supporting their employees with a living wage (campaigns, lighting up Niagara, events, survey monkeys, etc.) but will fight to keep wages stagnant from years and years ago. Not a place to build any kind of future.

Pros

Good employees and management can be great

Cons

You will go broke working here

Nice if you wanna get treated like garbage

Nice if you like getting treated poorly & like garbage everyone talks bad about each other and don’t care about clients or employees worst place I’ve worked so much also super stressful & anxiety filled

At von. You wear many hats. It will wear you down

It was my experience that the workplace was chaotic....rules , policies, and procedures changed often (very ). Rules only apply to some workers and clients ...you will work in an unregulated environment (client homes) and you will be placed in unbelievably sub standard conditions ..management talk the talk however never walk the walk ....low paid workers lives matter!! If you are a hard worker who respects rules for all and are proactive in worker safety and client safety. ...keep walking as your physical/mental health will suffer ....

Pros

Met some great coworkers

Cons

Long hours. No breaks. No lunch period

Amazing team!

Getting to provide support and care to clients in the community while working with an amazing team - what a great bonus! I loved being able to get to know the clients/families and always felt like I was making a difference.

Pros

Good hours. Felt like part of a team. Good boss. Enjoyable.

Cons

Pay could be better

HR role

Worked in the HR department and the pay was well under industry standards. Atmosphere was fairly easy going but lots of loud confidential conversations could be heard down the hall from our department.“Lots of talk but no action” concept

Pros

Free parking, some great employees work there

Cons

Too many to list.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement