VON Canada

Canada324 reviews
Friendly environment
Well orginazed working process

Flexible hours

Nice vacation time and benefits

12 paid sick days per year

Multicaltural staff

Nice location
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Never raised salary for years
I just love working for the VON. I am proud to be associated with such a fine organization. Most people I’ve met stay there several years and often apply for jobs within the organization.
Pros
Friendly, casual, respectful
Cons
Would prefer more hours
Would never recomend to anyone. I have been bullied, discouraged, disrespected and discriminated. Managment is a joke !!! Uneducated bunch of ppl not sure how they even got hired. No support what so ever plus no one takes responsibility. Blame the CSa.
VON provides support for home care. Traveling usually from one place to another which is hard for a commuter like me. What i don't like is that, they add clients on your list on the day of the visit which makes it hard to plan your visit time especially on the weekends because bus interval is 30minutes or more
It is a good place to learn skills and work in team work. I learned documentation, assessment of the clients. I worked with team to provide quality care to the seniors.
Executive Team are highly unqualified and risk aversive. There is no employee engagement and lack of vision. I worked for Labour Relations and came in to the organization at the brink of bankruptcy.
Staff gang up on you. So they can run you out. You are helpless. You go to management bc trying to resolve the bullying with the bullies gets you no where bc they don’t want to resolve anything. Management says “So, you are the next victim?!” You are shocked that this has been known. You try even harder to hold on to some credibility at your own expense! Management does a underwhelming job of what they call “supporting you” And then they call you out of the blue to come to the office; still saying “we are here to support you?!” As they give you the pink slip. BC they are not obligated to give new hires a reason in their contract and Union doesn’t want to bother with you bc it would cost too much money Just devastating!
Gained a lot of new skills, I got alone well with other staff members. The schedulers helped me to gain good time management as they would schedule many time specifics at the same time.
Orientation was poor and disorganized . Management was unavailable for concerns. Community staff very friendly and dedicated . Good remuneration for Community nursing but not up to par with other nursing positions
Pros
Clients. Work life balance. Autonomy
Cons
Very little support. Poor orientation.Poor scheduling
i work in community , 8 -4, usully days are very busy, but we have good support from staff and managemets,here nurses at von practise their full scope. and almost every day we face challenges and get to learn new tingd.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at VON Canada?
Over worked, under paid, high demands and unrealistic expectations, unsafe patient loads, management had moments of being unethical. Scheduling staff were really difficult to work with and would threaten the front line workers often to get visits filled. The positive is that you get to learn a lot of skills and work at a higher scope of practice.
Would not recommand workering for VON loved working for them years ago then they did restructuring of the business and they are not very flexiable with their workers any more there was multiple managers and suoervisors on goinh.

negativity in yhd officd with supervifor s comoareable to others
Pros
Cons
Management changing on going
Good balance of work to home life. Leaves plenty of time for social life, medical appts and errands...

Rewarding job

No weekend work

Low stress job
Not the greatest to work for as management only care about number. Planners are idiots. Staff is pretty good though. VON have no care about clients and they are just numbers.
Pros
Clients and staff great.
Cons
Management and cutting pay and travel time.
Worked there for years and enjoyed my coworkers, It was a good job that provided for the workers needs. I enjoyed management they are helpful and always there for you.
it was a pretty good place to do volunteer work most employees were ok ok not all of them very slowed paced be great to speak different languages there
Probably the best job I have ever had. Work independently, so able to plan your day and organize your assignment.
Forever changing environment , very busy. High expectations to complete many visits per day. Able to work full scope. Never boring.
Terrible management. They will do whatever they can to make themselves feel superior. They definitely have an inflated sense of self important and treat the admin staff and nurses like dirt. I have seen people denied sick time (even with doctors notes), bullying, etc. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic I have even heard of nurses/CCAs not being allowed to take time off to self quarantine after travelling.
My experience at the VON caused me to fall in love with healthcare and even though I left for better pay, my experience stayed with me. I will always love the VON they foster a family atmosphere which resulted in lifelong friendships. The Von truly showcase what it means to be compassionate.
Busy from start to finish. Fast paced
Management was ok

Hardest part was getting the work done in time.

The day went extremely fast.

Some OT was allowed
VON is like a large family. The administrative employees are under-paid though this is typical in non-profit. The benefits are very expensive but the office culture is very good.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.