VON Canada

Canada537 reviews

pswpswsclientnursecsasnursingcommunityvisit

Great Company to grow with

Featured review

VON Canada selected this as a representative review
Amazing staff, great benefits, compensated well, clear understanding of job assignments, advanced scheduling, helpful and supportive management team, geared towards client care and in the best interest of the families and clients they cater to, room for advancement, always helpful to teach or explain something new, employee recognition always noticed

Pros

Benefits, compensated fairly, room to grow and advance

Cons

My work hours (midnights) which was my choice, other than that I don’t have any cons to report

Good teamwork

I'm glad to be working from home and my co-workers are great. Good work life balance. I feel like I am accomplishing a vital service for members of our community.

Insights into VON Canada

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

evening rn

terrible for evenings charge nurse position horrible and stressful no help from management. Should be 2 RN on each evening for coverage of the area one for the phone one for call out. please change this practice to retain nurses

I absolutely LOVE VON

I worked in LTC for 2 years prior to coming to VON. In LTC, I had 1 weekend every 6 weeks off, getting called on all my days off to come in to work and asked to stay late almost every shift. Short staffed all the time and doing the work of 3 people. Put my back out multiple times in 2 years just to make sure resident cares we’re being done. I was about to quit being a CCA all together but decided to give VON a try and it is awesome. Everyone works every other weekend so it is fair for all who work there. Seniority still gets first pick of schedule/hours/vacation time. You get a guaranteed hours. Sometimes I would only get 6 hours or less to fill my 8 hour shift but you still get paid. Good paid mileage, good benefits, awesome management

Pros

Guarantee hours, flexible schedules

Cons

Lots of travelling some days

I had lots of support no pressure atmosphere

Excellent training24/7 supportQuick response from peers if I encountered difficulties in the fieldAs a community nurse one has immense opportunities to grow, learn, innovate, collaborate and help so many.Clients are the best.

Overall great place to work

Amazing clients who are so sweet! Staff tends to gossip but what organization doesn’t have that. Managers will help if your in need. Lots of hours to pick up I loved working for von

Toxic

Managers are bullies who favors those who do their work for them. No chance for advancement unless you suck up to management. Would not recommend to my worst enemy.

VON will drain your soul

Fast paced environment that will drain your soul Micro management managers that will give you a promotion but not trust you to actually do anything. Do not recommend.

Horrible company to work for

Horrible company, management is terrible. They treat employees horribly, communication is non existent… they do not respect you, or your personal time. Will try to guilt trip you into working more, and will consistently require you to work beyond your paid hours (unpaid) IE calling clients, answering emails, call ins. They’ve lost more then 4 employees in the last few months, and they’ve had 7 on LOA’s recently. If they took the time to value their employees people wouldn’t be fed up and leave.

Great company to work for

Wonderful management. Great team members, and our current management makes sure we have a good work life balance. Our company is constantly growing so there is always room for growth.

Pros

Great management, good hours

Cons

There's always cons to any job.

Reputable Company

Pros: Create your own availability. Work independently. Supplies and PPE readily available. Good communication with office staff if you ever have an issue. Cons: You do need to spend a lot of time after hours calling clients to schedule next days visits. Advocating for clients sometimes falls on deaf ears with management.

Pros

Schedule according to availability

Cons

Inconsistent weekly hours. Lots of driving in rural areas.

Steady decline in culture and management capability over my decade working there

An awesome organization that used to be a rewarding place to work. Lost its soul over the decade I worked there reflected in poor management and a loss of focus from mission vision and values

Halifax von horrible experience

Worked here years and experienced such a decline in managerial support and overall management has ruined this company. Senior management not health care educated just there for the pay cheque. Mandated OT daily canceling visits and expectations far too high for the pay! If you want to have an opinion or speak up for fairness don’t come work here you will be outcasted no matter how good of a nurse you are.

Pros

Work alone

Cons

Mandated OT poor management

Poor management

Understaffed, working short handed everyday. Very pour management, supervisors and managers say they’re there to help you with your concerns but then when the time comes they brush it off. And refer you to the epa program

Excellent place to work, co-workers & Management care about their staff!

Great co-workers & great morale. Tons of support from supervisors & management. Everyone chips in to make sure all work completely together as a team. The job keeps me challenged....never bored. Best decision ever to mover over to this position.

Great coworkers

Well balanced work/life. Non competitive wage. Nurses help each other all the time. Planners work hard. Management can be good or bad which is the same everywhere. Overall, good work environment with poor payment.

Terrible job culture

The job culture here is very toxic, management can and will ask you to come into meeting on your scheduled day off and if you polity ask to have it scheduled within your availability your called insubordinate. You are given a schedule but in the middle of the work day management can call and order you to take on more clients even if your running late and causing your day to be prolonged. No proper support. They take on more clients then they have staff to handle and over work and stress staff. Very poor pay almost every where else pays better. They make false promises upon hiring you then after accepting the position on those terms they switch things up for you. Very difficult to have work/life balance. Forget about applying here if your looking into home care for flexibility due to haveing young children look elsewhere, not worth it at all. Spent days crying in my car untill the day I finally quit. They will have you running to 3 different towns and even book you only small amounts of time to spend takeing care of clients if you stick strictly to their schedule clients who really need care will not get proper care at all. Oh,and favoritism by management to certain employees. Well, the list goes on but who has the time.

Great for full scope nursing

Great place if a nurse wants to get to full scope. Endless skills and opportunities to learn. Positive work life balance. Flexibility of clinic and community options for nurses.

Good workplace

Not a bad place to work but salary could be better. Management is supportive. Good policies for employee safety. Refresher courses offered throughout the year.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Community work, driving in bad weather.

They own your free time

I only worked here for 3 months and it was the worst for a single mom with small children. I was constantly disappointing my kids by accepting call in shifts and the weekend split shifts are ridiculous!! Getting paid 6.5 hours for a 15 hour day…they’d always schedule me at 6am even though my availability was 7am and until 9pm or even later (even though that’s against union contract). They expect you to make calls to clients and answer emails, never compensating for your personal time.

Pros

Mainly great clients and caregivers, some compensation for mileage and driving time

Cons

Unpredictable hours, not knowing your schedule until the afternoon before, demanding of your personal time, management assumes the worst about you

Great place to work!

Management that I work with are Great!!!! I have no issues at all. My job is interesting. I love my co-workers. They are great!! I have a job that I want to go to work everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement