VON Canada Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS30 January 2019
Co-workers are great but very demanding schedule. Overtime is mandated several times per week - no work life balance. Pension is not indexed and benefits are much better at the local hospitals. Overall staff does not feel valued or respected. Staff turnover is high based on the blame culture of this employer blaming staff for all problems within the company.
Very unprofessional employees and management
Coordinator for Meals on Wheels (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON25 January 2019
I had to quit there because they were breaking so many labour law rules and treated me and every other employee so unfairly. I was working full time hours but my title was part-time only so they would not have to pay me benefits.
A relatively high volume home care nursing organization that had a tremendously positive public service culture.
Vice President, Board of Governors (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 June 2018
This was a volunteer public service experience. I spent 8 years learning not for profit management and culture. I was "promoted" form chair of transportation, to chair of fund raising, and ultimately Vice President of the branch.
Pros
Great learning environment with a great sense of "give back" to community.
Cons
No Compensation
Do not work here
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 May 2018
Poor communication, lack of managerial support, salary not competitive, poor work life balance, lack of concern for employees, minimal opportunity to book time off.
Pros
Amazing clients
Cons
Everything besides the wonderful clients and families
Poor Place to Work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON28 October 2018
I would not recommend to work here. VON has a very poor management team and a very high blame culture. The main concern is how many more patients can be crammed on to your day. Long hours for staff are no concern. Pay is terrible.
Limited advancement
Finance Analyst/Payroll Coorditor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 May 2018
Hard to advance as limited jobs. Management delays union contracts discussions leaving staff without contract for a few years then last time, they did not give a rate increase for two years. Presently, without contract again and it's been two years ago.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, Locations
Cons
no advancements, wage increases delayed for union staff
providing assistance to the public sector
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS15 March 2018
working for this company has its benefits when it comes to the employee rewards for doing well and the clients continually give you praise and that tells you that you are doing your job.
If I could give no stars I would have
P.S.W front line staff (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 November 2018
Management and scheduling department expect you to be available 24-7 when they call. Do not support their staff find anything to use against employees, I apparently worked too much (listed as part time but worked more than full time). Your conversations with co workers can and will be used against you.
Pros
Rate of pay
Cons
Everything else
If you want to work at a place because you do your job so well then dont apply here
Cca pt (Current Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS17 January 2019
When i first started wirh the von i thought it was amazing. I love working on my own and i love the one on one care i share with clients. Now the downfall. Once you are in the von life and see how things go you wont be happy. You are targeted by the csas from the ones who dont like you. They need to feel a sense of power giving you a undesirable schedule and often being spoken down too like you are stupid. Once you are targeted for whatever reason you remain targeted. Feels like high school drama. Its not fair the people who didnt emotionally mature enough as adults so they take there vindictive attitude on us. Csas do not help ccas at all. Any question given is met with what too bad for you kid figure it out yourself. Managment is very ignorant to what js going on in peoples lifes and could care less long as the clients are seen. They work us too much one day off a week then next week having a whopping two days off in a row doesnt help a person out. You dont see your family, its hard to maintain your house, you want to play with your kids but you are so tired and torn then before you know it your day off is gone and back at er again for another 4 days.And they wonder why people quit and are so burnt out. The only thing i love about my job is my clients. Some managment isnt bad but i think to get the place healthy as it should be would remove toxic people from that setting. Especially a few csas. It doesnt matter if you work yourself to death volunteering for callbacks, picking up extra clients, nothing. Csas will still walk all over you with there hands clean cause managment  more... takes there side over a cca's. Also you will not just face bullying from csas but other co workers as well who are immature and imtimidated. I get along with most of the girls ive known for years but like in any bunch there is bad apples. Dont be pretty, kind, and show you geuniely love your job cause one cca will make you feel incompetent at the end of a 2 person visit. If you want this job trust no one and keep your head down and you will be okay. Or be cold and rough with patients cause ive seen that before on the job and its from the workers whos been doing it for years.  less
Pros
Working alone and seeing different clients
Cons
Cut-throat environment, hostile, jealousy, high school drama
PSW (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 November 2018
Over all VON is a good place to work. Have worked for worse. The management is supportive and accommodating. As long as you do your job, get positive feedback from clients and don't demand or expect too much you will be treated well. Coworkers are great! The only downfall is having to carry the oncall emergency phone for 2 to 3 days straight 24 hrs. This can cause conflicts with your personal life and especially when you're in the middle of a home visit or at 2 am when you're sound asleep and have to get up, get dressed and drive to an emergency call. SUCKS! !! Don't work here if you don't want to be responsible for the oncall phone duty.
Pros
Great coworkers and clients
Cons
Emergency oncall phone

Want to know more about VON Canada?

Ask a question
Decent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canada2 January 2018
A top heavy organization that could be better managed and more organized. The organization does well within the communities they serve and the community/field staff are very dedicated. But internally I found they are an old organization with very old ways of doing things, and not very open to change. Management is unaccountable and they rarely listen or respect the needs of the lower level staff doing the day- to- day work that keep the organization afloat and service the needs of the community. The organization provides ample training and decent benefits, but there is very little room for professional advancement.
Pros
Benefits, Hours
Cons
Lack of advancement
Great experience
Home Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Peel, ON19 September 2018
Great place to gain valuable community experience and work with a broad spectrum of clients. A great opportunity to provide the best possible care to clients who remain at home and during end of life care. Very fulfilling career.
Not a great place to work
SMART exercise Trainer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Ontario28 August 2018
I did not like the fact that I was not always paid for all of the hours I actually worked. I had to fight for my pay, but never did get the money owed to me.
Pros
Cons
not reliable to staff
Terribly run company ... nurse managers are constantly quitting ....
Continuing Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  ANNAPOLIS Valley16 January 2018
Scheduling dept will have u running everywhere. They SAY they will keep u in your own area ... NOt true . Management is horrible and treat the employees like second rate citizens . If you want to be treated like a slave with no appreciation... great place !
Pros
Benefits are ok
Great Place to work
Intake Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 September 2018
Great place to work- however due to the job demands they are open 7 days a week.

Great management , good environment

under staffed.

good training

rewarding job
Pros
rewarding
Cons
open 7 days a week
Very educational
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2019
I learned many great new skills to add to my nursing knowledge. There was Good learning opportunities that arose which I took part in.
One on one patient care was beneficial to myself and the patients.
Cons
using my own car.
caring Organization
Vice President - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2019
Caring organization - non profit in healthcare
always willing to help the patients/clients.
a bit disorganized.
strong sense of helping change the world on patent at a time.
Fast paced environment
Client Services Associate Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 January 2019
From start to finish the day is always very busy as is typical in healthcare. Office morale is great and coworkers make the environment.
There is a great deal of multitasking which can be challenge with constant interruptions.
Hardest part of the job is ensuring you have followed all processes and not missed any pieces to ensure exceptional client care.
Most enjoyable is seeing new staff learn and flourish in their new roles
Pros
Great social committee
Cons
Stressful
Good Company
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON3 January 2019
Like all companies they have their negatives and positives.
Overall I enjoy working for VON and have been treated very well.
I am thankful for all they have done to keep me in work.
Not a good work enviroment!
PSW (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON15 September 2018
Management does not care about clients or staff.
When PSW'S report things nothing gets charted!
Schedules always changing.
Poor planning staff expected to drive over 100 kms somedays. No pay for travel time. Management don't care when you complain. Favortism and several staff on modified leaves you with all the heavy care clients.
NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK!
Staff don't stay long that is why they are always hiring.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Expectations!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VON Canada. Our community is ready to answer.