Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd.

Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd. Employee Reviews

Fun supportive place to work

My experiences with Volker have been nothing but positive. I was able to move up quickly based on job performance. I learned as much as I was able to teach. The foreman were demanding but fair which is what I hope for. Never any issues getting help with tasks if needed and safety was the priority over production. Production still needed to happen but the priority was always that everyone went home safely.

Psychotic foremen

Good work, long hours with great pay and benefits. However, most of the foremen (underground) are complete psychotic nut cases. They yell scream 24/7 even when all the work is going smoothly. They will constantly harrass you for kickbacks/bribes/buy them stuff. Really stressful work environment.

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Interesting work

Cons

Abusive foremen

Good company

I say excellent company It's good benefits Professional people around and kind to everyone Work safety Team work to all tasks Understanding eachother

Great Experience

The crew I worked on had a great bunch of guys. Had the opportunity to learn a lot of new skills and everyone was friendly. Wish the season's were longer in alberta, would've enjoyed working longer.

Good Company

Volker was a great company to work for and really has a family feel. There were lots of perks. Could be stressful and lots of hours during the construction season

Pros

Family feel, great people

Cons

Training and support are lacking

Great place to work until you have to deal with foreman and supervisors.

Work is good but the foreman and supervisors are tyrannical. Nepotism is rampant, with one Lebanese family dictating the entire experience you are gonna have there. If you are family or friend of that family you will be fine. If not, try another place for employment. If you make any mistakes you are threatened with your job and are black balled if you upset any one within that family. It would be a great place to work if they were to look it the future of their company, with more diversity within tier walls.

Pros

Decent wages, benefits, workload.

Cons

Nepotism, toxic environment, discrimination for white people.

Excellent Company to work for

I can't really say anything but from the very top to the very bottom and everyone in between are top notch. It is an excellent place to work, anything you need, they are all there to help....Everybody.

Lots of hours, awesome people that care about what they do !! .

Good place to work, great people!! Office and field supervisors are decent to work with. Company is understanding and forgiving of mistakes and willing to give second chances, Quality and production are important but safety is first. Pay is good and benefits are great. Definitely one of the top places to work in the industry.

Good Pay but Time consuming

The pay was really good, I got 20 an hour and would often get overtime which boosts the paycheque. It is hard work but you get paid for it. Management is pretty good, they were accommodating to when I asked for am extra day off here and there but the culture for a general labourer is to work a lot and not to ask for time off. If you don't mind construction as much you might do fine here as they pay you well but if you have a busier season you could work 55 or 60 hours plus per week and end up hating it. If you like construction the company is great because there is room to advance.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Life consuming

garabge

terrible place to work if you aren't the same race as everyone, they treat employees like scum, no leadership, no lunches or breaks just gogogo till its done

Pros

Cons

employer

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd.?

Good place to work, too far of a commute for me.

The job itself kept you busy for the day. The people I worked with are very nice people. I have learned many new skills such as how to operate certain types of heavy equipment. Hardest part of the job for me was the driving back and forth to the work sites.

Pros

Amazing Pay

Cons

Long Days

Best job I ever had.

A day at work was like a day out hanging out with the boys. Hard physical labor and long hours however working on the right crew can make the day very enjoyable.

long hours good money

the job was ok. long hours and no time off. good money. the people are ok except there alot of ppl who only speak arabic and i found they would speak it in front of me makeing me feel uncomfortable

It was an adrenaline rush job

I was only a call in when they needed more man power when it snowed. Good people to work with. There was no set scheduled. It was an on call basis. that was tough.

Pros

Exciting

Cons

only part time

Good place to work but expect to put a lot of work in prior to any advancement

Worked in shallow utilities doing 4-party trenching. Was a positive experience working for this company. They take care of their employees quite well.

Benefits were great, company parties now and again

The job was interesting and always busy. This is a male dominant company. I don't believe I was paid what I was worth and was pushed out of my job for someone outside of the company.

Positive atomosphere,

Very Positive And Upfront management team, Always willing to go the extra mile. The hardest part is the long hours in such a short season. What i enjoy most about my day to day, is knowing the fact that we are part of Calgary and area Infrastructure.

Pros

Money is great

Great summer job

Volker Stevin was able to provided me with a summer job for multiple years. Typically they are busy fro June until November. Great wages for laborers. Physical work and lots of long days

Respectful Employer, For a larger corperation you are not just a number.

From day to day it is always a new challenge, due to the nature of the job you are always in a new location. We are a sub-contract company so most of the time you work with other trades and company policies. I gained the knowledge of the fellowship, team player's key role. The hardest part of the job is the hours, not for everyone. However our Construction season is short. It is a pleasure to see the finished product and to see it 20-50years still holding up.

dangerous working environment

a typical work day with this company is working 12hrs/day 7 or 6 days a week with no 15 or 30 minute breaks and dangerous circumstances as the foreman operating the grader and the job not being completed on time and the labours almost getting run over by the grader. working for a company should feel relaxing, safe and not exhausting after a 12 hour work day. This company does not have the greatest working environment because foreman's select who they like without taking the time to get to know someone.

Pros

over time hours

Cons

accidents, long hours, no breaks, environment

Great company with lots of time to enjoy the sun!

Volker Stevin is a fantastic company to work for! Many great benefits, working outside, lots of room for advancement, great people to work with. They offer many different divisions to work in, lots of opportunity to operate several different types of equipment. Good physical work making a healthy lifestyle. They give you the winters off to go on a hot vacation or enjoy outdoor sports such as skiing, hockey, snowmobiling, etc. They believe highly in safety, and training their employees, as well as promoting from within. If you want an outdoor physical job that offers a great environment and many benefits, Volker Stevin is the place for you!

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Great pay, Winters off.

Cons

Long hours, 6-7/week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement

Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd. Reviews by Location

• Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd.