Vitran Express Employee Reviews

A happy place to work
A/R Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2018
Excellent leadership. Productive atmosphere, allowed to express ideas and opinions. Good home/work balance. Encouraged to improve skills thru inhouse training.
Pros
great staff
Fast pace environment
DOCK WORKER/FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON16 August 2018
You are going to need to spend two years to get a first raise it does not matter how hard you work and how committed you are, there is a union that only protects and respond to seniority, new employees will not have the chance to go on holidays on July or August and they do not consider you as a person or human being, not an organized environment and the union woks mainly for seniors, I don't recommend this place
Pros
Cons
disorganized
crazy workplace
Warehouse/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 July 2018
- some great co workers
- safety was not a priority, scary few close calls and nothing done about it
-very good workplace
-hardest part of the job was working with some that didn't take safety seriously
-enjoyed some great workers
Pros
love the warehouse job
Cons
ppor pay and they sent us home when we were done, not full hours was given
Ok job, not much room for growth
O S & D Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON26 July 2018
I worked there for 7 years with no promotion or significant raise, despite excellent annual reviews. I made many attempts to try to learn more and advance but was stopped at every turn and not supported my management.
nothing
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 July 2018
no benefits night shift hate it cold in winter no heat management sucks not happy only good benefit is close to home work your feet off all night and get rushed out the door by the operations manager all in all the wages are good but no dental benefits is a killer when you have a family all deal visits come out of pocket kind of bad not happy so i will be searching for better employment
Environment de travail mauvais
Chauffeur classe 1 (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 May 2018
La compagnie elle n’est pas bien organisée mal géré.
Trucking
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan13 April 2018
Set up and take down booth
Contract position
Work with energy efficient products
Lots of independence
Great managers
Very accommodating
Get to talk to lots of people
productive company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2018
Working with Vitran was good experience. I learned lot of new tools. Management was helpful. The worse part of the job was hours. Near Christmas they have so much work that we had to work many extra hours means less family time. And during low time they do not give you enough hours and send you home early.
Pros
lot to learn
Cons
hard to manage hours
Nothing for having fun
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
I have to fix users problem on phones and check emails for users tickets . check backup install new machines and replace it with old one. check the anti virus server for viruses and malware .documents problems .
productive and good environment
Dispatcher/Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 December 2017
Vitran is run like a circus

typical day at work Is I get my bills in the morning and haul out two loads sometimes three loads of delivery's and then a load of pick ups then I call it a day at arond 4:00- 6:00 pm and go home

what have I learned city p&d is the same for every company

management is a joke

co-workers well that's all they are is co-workers I try not to make that aspect of my work personal

the hardest part of the job is dealing with dispatch were at there mercy
Pros
Good Environment
Cons
long Hours
Productive but took time out for fun in slow periods .
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2017
Overseeing operations on a daily basis . Ensuring targets are monitored and achieved . Prioritizing orders for customers in a timely manner . Troubleshooting.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Productive and fun work atmosphere
BILLING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Oak Bluff, MB17 August 2017
The managers were awesome! I enjoyed my experience and time at Vitran. I learned a lot from my fellow co-workers and bosses, including: learning a new software program, and learning how to create invoices. Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Free lunches, Casual day, Cake on birthdays
Be aware
Routing clerk (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC24 November 2016
A seemingly good company on the outside, but absolutely archaic on the inside.
Dispatch screen is an aluminum tower that turns around.
The leash is very short. Any issues within 3 weeks means your demise.
Also, this job is for you if you enjoy being watched at all time via security camera.
Pros
Nice operation manager, Keurig machine
Cons
Archaic system, short leash, ancient drivers
Wonderful place to work
member of the OS&D team (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
I loved working here !! Was the best ever except it wasn't busy enough as that is why i got laid off. People who work there are amazing people as well.
Good place to work for ( supervisors need people skills )
fork lift operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
first let me say that I love working at Vitran express . The company to employee regulations are fair .I do agree with the policy of seniority. after all when you work for a company for 30 years you should have priority over someone that just stated .

even though the older guys get priority for overtime I get overtime every week . and I have only been there for 3 months .

the company provides employees with very good benefits , sceduled salary raises and union work conditions .

I do however have a problem with the supervisors , all but one need to really get some people skills and follow the union rules . yelling and being rude to employees has to stop immediately and upper management should get involved . stop being vindictive and threaten employees with making them hand bomb all day long if you do not agree with what they have to say .

Coworkers ....

for the most part they are great , but as in any company there is always a few bad apples . fortunately management knows about them and they pose no threats .

overall this is a great place to work for and if your looking for a job this is a great place

Pros
decent pay, good coworkers, great patient upper management
Cons
supervisors
Summary Review
Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2016
Work long hours, pay poor, management bias and unfair.

Responsible for others shortcomings.

High expectations from management and little support.
Conduire le camion
5 tonnes pour camion porteur (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC27 June 2016
En générale, je conduisais des camions, déchargeais. Ils ont une ambiance plutôt ordinaire ou j'entendais plus camionneur chiâler souvent. Les gestionnaires sont agréable souvent ils payait la Pizza pour le dîner. Faire la livraison, dans des endroits où le camion 5 tonnes passe juste dans les bois je n'ai pas aimer peut-ètre une 3 tonne oui mais pas un 5 tonnes car ça peut l'endommager.
Le plus beau moment quand on me donne une livraison quand je dois attendre qu'on me décharge car c'est la politique de la compagnie comme genre Loblaws et Métro.
Pros
Pizza gratuit
Cons
Emploi temporaire
fun place to work
general labour (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 June 2016
started early when i was asked
was always on time
enjoyed working with other people
completed the customers orders as requested
Run far away from this place as possible and don't look back
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON3 June 2016
This is a horrible place to work. Don't waste your time working here if you have a job already don't quit it to come work here. They hire people but don't keep them they let them go just before its time for their probation to be completed. The pay rate is a joke and it will take you 7 years to get to top rate while the senior men get top rate and $500 dollars a month in rsp's. If you get hired on you will never get that rsp money it's only for senior dockmen. Management is two faced and so are the employees that you'll work with they constantly backstab each other. The union is a joke they can't do anything for you management runs rough shot over everything that goes on there. I ended up quitting vitran and it was the best decision I ever made I feel alot better and my health is much better overall.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Don't have enough time to list all the cons.
Ok place to work
Linehaul Dispatch Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 June 2016
This is an ok place to work, almost impossible to get fired with mediocre benefits and decent pay however, there is a lot of overtime in dispatch and they do not pay for or bank overtime hours.
Pros
Great job security, emplyee appriciation lunches, cancer fundraising
Cons
No Christmas parties