Viterra Employee Reviews

Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK15 November 2018
Hard to work for unorganized and don’t know where to put you , to many staff on shift, not enough chiefs that know what your doing all time , especially the marketing manger telling you what to do and he’s not your boss . And don’t do the proper training they say it takes a week and half and the assistant manger comes in and pushes you to get done faster . And don’t get breaks when loading rail cars . And they say you get a hot meal when loading cars you don’t , and I worked with a guy that was there for 16 years and still was a facility assistant and hasn’t gone for training for grading grain , and they tell you that you can move up the ladder went in turn is a bunch of bs .
Productive place to work
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan12 September 2018
I worked at Viterra for a year and a half, we worked 13.3 hour days, if it was a car loading day it could be longer. I liked the job, really sucked when they went through layoffs. Also, it was not uncommon to be understaffed during carloading, which meant twice as much work for the people on top of cars.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
No job security
L'ambiance de travail et sécurité
préposé aux opérations (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2018
Ambiance de travail employés-employeurs pas très bon

Santé et sécurité aux risques et périls de l'employé

Communication laissant à désirer

Zéro respect de l'employeur envers les employés
Fast paced and ever changing
Trade Execution Container Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK26 April 2018
I've enjoyed working at Viterra. If an Internal position be came available prior to my end date I would apply and stay on.

As a company that answers to shareholders, it's a bit unsettling that any position is open to elimination at any time. It is also unfortunate that seniority rather than achievement is used as the benchmark to lay off employees.
Good corporate culture
Project Manager/ Network Architect (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 April 2018
No nonsense work environment which comes with being a contractor. It is a challenging work environment which requires good time management and knowledge.
Good Place to work
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Blackie, AB16 January 2018
Enjoyed working here. I worked in a small rural location. It was fairly boring at some of the times, and I had a lot of free time. Which worked well as I had young kids and needed to work shorter days to work with their school schedule, and that was wonderful
Pros
Short work days
Cons
not very busy
A difficult, yet rewarding job, it was dirty and dusty cold work
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Caresland and Indus Alberta4 January 2018
Working in a large terminal elevator is dangerous hard work. As I aged I realized it was not for me. I was forced to leave it with a heavy heart. This is a job that is for younger fit people.
Pros
Good wages, excellent benefits
Cons
Long hours working at height and in all kinds of weather
very reliable and stable work
Facility Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Warner, AB5 December 2017
In the 9yrs I worked there had no really slow days or layoffs.Advancement was slow but easy to move up, the hrs were very reasonable mangement was good organized,easy co workers to get a long with.
Pros
4 days on 3 days off
Cons
can get alittle noise and dusty (mustard flour everywhere)
Good Place to work
Admin/Facility Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saskatchewan5 July 2017
Company offers great benefits and my manager is great! Busy environment to work in. Meet very nice customers and build relationships with them. They offer good training.
Pros
hour long lunch breaks
Cons
weekend loads or holiday train loading
alright place to work if you don't mind the grain dust
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Crossfield, AB24 April 2017
constantly missing parts or tools to do jobs in a timely manner. very dusty work environment. Management was very disorganised which created a frustrating environment to work in.
Pros
paid lunches, great benefits
Cons
management was very disorganised, lack of tools to do job properly and
I loved working with the people that I worked with. The atmosphere was good in the office but rather restricted corporately.
Grain Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Crossfield, Alberta11 January 2017
I would have liked better advancement opportunities. This company was bought out by a very large corporation. when that happened the work environment changed. Instead of being a great place to work and help people it became a focus on the dollar company. This was due to the philosophy of the new company. I love to help people and find this company very restricting in terms of caring for their clients.
Pros
Stable environment
Cons
Limited advancement
Great staff and clients
Yard supervisor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB5 December 2016
Early starts during seeding time. Long days and short nights. This provided a feeling of accomplishment when you provided a product and/or service to our clients.
Unfortunately this cut short when company was sold.
Co-workers were generally great, but the facility needed replacing and in was just worn out.
Pros
Staff and clients
Cons
Worn out facility
travelling work
Casual field worker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 July 2016
Early mornings and late days. working outside is always beneficial
Coworkers were awesome
Free lunches courtesy of employer
traveled to various job sites
Awesome place to work with friendly co-workers and steady a steady work pace.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB26 December 2015
I did your typical general labour work loading bags of beans into semi trucks, stacking pallets of beans, sweeping shops, and unloading farmers semis of beans during harvest. I generally enjoy labour work as it keeps me busy and helps the days go by alot quicker when im kept hard at work.
Good working environment
System Engineer Consultant (Former Employee) –  regina sk23 October 2015
Good place to work with emerging technologies. company outsourced to company from India so contract ended. co workers all were on the same page and got along great. management kept communication very clear
International shipping
Rail Cars Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 October 2014
Do various jobs on daily basis which make it unique.You learn a lot of safety procedures at work and how to work smarter not hard.Management treat workers nice and workers are like family members ..Pretty much the job is easy if you follow procedures per management and can be hard if you mix up different products going to the boat.
Pros
once or twice we have free bbq or lunches from company and christmas parties every year
Cons
work different shifts every two weeks and sometimes overtime weekends
Pretty much mandatory overtime
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan6 June 2014
Pros - Meeting lots of people, dealing with complex situations,

Cons- Upper management ruled the facility, unlimited but highly encouraged overtime

Great group of guys to work with, benefits are okay, overtime was only 1.5 times base

Being accountable for upper management decisions was also a detrimental factor, and having to work some ridiculous hours because of these decisions.
An incredible place to work
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB3 June 2014
We would work very hard but laughed all the time working together as a team. We would make lunches for the team. When things got tough we would laugh harder and made things happen.

The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the contract ended. My supervisor always said work hard and if you make a mistake learn from it but don't think it will be your last. No one is perfect.
Pros
Wonderful People and very interesting
Cons
The contract ended
An incredible place to work
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, Alberta20 May 2014
It was a position that was only supposed to last for 6 weeks. I was there for 14 months before they were bought out and my contract ended. Management had indicated several times that they wanted to hire me as a full time employee. It was a very sad day for everyone when the contract ended. I still stay in touch with the girls.
Pros
Close to home. Loved the customer service.
Cons
Not full time
Facility Assistant
Facility Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carseland and Indus, Alberta19 May 2014
Assisted, as part of a team of 5-10 people, in the day to day operation of a large inland grain terminal. Typically we would receive, process and ship cereal grains and oilseeds. I learned how to grade grain, clean grain, operate the necessary machinery. Safety training, grading training, on going policy and procedure training. Hardest part was having to load rail cars in any and all kinds of weather, working at heights of 25' plus. Most enjoyable part was meeting and dealing with the customers.
Pros
Good salary and benefits.
Cons
Working in all types of weather.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Viterra. Our community is ready to answer.