Visual College of Art and Design
Happiness score is 29 out of 100

Visual College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews

Vcad

Just ridiculous management. I can't call them that. Wasn't management. You had 3 gentleman that could manage. But the rest. Least helpful I've ever had. Don't do it.

Pros

The people suffering with you... Will literally become your best friends.

Cons

You'll have to drive your business. Guess what that means. Nobody knows it changes daily.

Might want to stay away

I have noticed in my job search that they are continually hiring people for the job I used to do. They are now including the proviso that you are expected to work outside of work hours. Sounds about right.

Pros

I loved my coworkers. Great folks.

Cons

Management is far from great.

10 January 2022
Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that you felt this way. At VCAD, we value our people and are always striving to improve our employee experience. We welcome further feedback to identify possible solutions to address your concerns, so please feel free to email us at hrteam@vcad.ca.

Terrible Organization

Awful organization, awful supports for students, truly they only care about making money. Training was poor, turn over rate is very high.Just avoid working for VCAD unless you have no soul.

Not a Respectable Place to Work

You will be required to complete many hours of unpaid work, you will receive little to no training, you should expect to be frequently embarrassed by the utter lack of student supports, IT infrastructure, and administration. The culture is truly awful, and it's evident to students and staff alike that it is first and foremost a money machine and is far less interested in the best interests of students. The safety culture during COVID was very disappointing - no transparency, no support, etc.

Pros

flexible scheduling

Cons

Inept IT department in Vancouver, no benefits, no paid grading/prep time, general culture of misery

6 October 2021
Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that you felt this way about your experience. At VCAD, we value our people and are always striving to improve our employee experience. We welcome further feedback to identify possible solutions to address your concerns, so please feel free to email us at hrteam@vcad.ca.

Fast - Paced / Challenging and Rewarding - Career in Education

Following up on countless student inquiries, and helping individuals realize their potential. You must be driven with your strong purpose to help other individuals make their choices to get into a new career and go to school. In admissions you help your student get all the way to the starting line, and the student takes the training wheels off and they are on their way with the support of the instructors and student services. Professional attitude, and knowing that not everyone has their bags packed, and ready to go to school is needed to remain successful in this role.

Pros

Rewarding Career (fulfillment helping others), Good Salary, Time flies by

Cons

Adapting through COVID is not easy but achievable and moving forward

6 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We're thrilled to hear that your experience at VCAD has been a positive one - and it's because of our passionate and talented staff like you!

an honest take

there are two major departments - operations and admissions. the two departments are constantly at each other's throats; we are all told across all campuses that we aren't allowed to talk to each other.. each team is given different information that conflicts with each other. this becomes very frustrating because it's like we're constantly working against each other when in reality we should be working together towards a common goal. it makes everything more difficult than it needs to be - it looks bad to the students as well when one person is saying one thing, and the other person is saying the complete opposite. it makes for a very competitive atmosphere... however admissions are given priority by upper mgmt. if anything with admissions goes wrong, they immediately throw operations under the bus, without hesitation. for your own safety, do not talk to admissions, not even a "lovely weather today". they can and will use this against you by telling their superiors the reason they couldn't make their sales goals is that you were talking to them nonstop, distracting them from doing their job. if they have nothing bad that they can say against you, they will make up something. even if they seem nice and will pretend to be your best friend, it's best to just ignore them completely. operations have to pick up all the slack from admissions, yet admissions get all the benefits (raise promotion bonuses recognition etc) while operations get nothing, not even the budget for bare minimum supplies to run a school. additionally, we are told we are not allowed to share information across -

Change lives through education - rewarding and challenging

This is a rewarding and challenging career. Helping to change lives through education requires a strong sense of why, to repeatedly look for and help new students each and everyday. Not everyone is ready to go to school, and change is never easy, even when we try to make a change for the better. This is a target driven and results driven role that is challenging and rewarding. Its amazing to see students work and what they will achieve.

Pros

Being a mentor, days/hours go by quickly, bigger picture

Cons

Every week is a new challenge to hold your self accountable.

6 October 2021

Good for the right type of person

First and foremost, you have to enjoy sales generally to enjoy working in Admissions here. If you don’t, this is not the job for you. Secondly, you have to think long term and honourably regarding making big money. So if you like sales but want those quick easy commissions/willing to be snaky to get them, this is NOT the place. The good parts of the job are the rewards of working with actual students to make their dreams a reality, after the first 7 months you do start to make good bonuses and the Online Director of Admissions is an awesome person who works hard and tries his very best to make it a good place to work. The college has the best Canadian online programming for its diplomas-better than other art/design universities in the country. I think VCAD has room to improve on interdepartmental collaboration, flex hours/childcare allowances, diversity in management and more cash incentives for all staff to meet short-term targets.

Pros

Good boss, clear KPIs and targets, leads provided

Cons

Weird work hours, no paid sick days, no free parking

The worst job I have ever had.

Don’t do it. Just don’t. I come from a sales background so I was prepared to meet objectives. But this place will not only take your self confidence, happiness and positive energy, they will take your soul. It is misleading in so many ways. Zero ethics. Corrupt and money driven culture, misleading students. I was ‘recruited’ because of my skill set and previous work experience, along with 15 other individuals. The environment is ruthless, heavy micro management and the largest turnover rate I have ever seen within a company. The management has zero leadership skills and basically treats you as a robot. You are to enrol students, integrity and morals are not included in this process. Would leave at the end of the day questioning my own character and what I was willing to accept for myself in this workplace. Just don’t. You will regret it. Have standards and choose better for yourself and your mental health.

Pros

Literally nothing.

Cons

All of it.

Stay away

Awful work environment. Lack of process. Management has no clue what they are doing. They hired 20 people at once and promised alot of stuff but never delivered on it. 2 weeks down the road they hired another 12 ppl as they were already expecting ppl to quit. It was more like a sweat shop environment. Half of the people quit within a month. The were very sneaky about hiding the covid - 19 incident. It's all numbers game that's all. All they do is micro managing. Even the manager for the wasn't happy abt his Job either as he was busy interviewing for another job while he was at work. During the training they would just try to make the job sound very fun and interesting but it isn't Was a SITH show. Would recommend to stay away from this place.

You can grow.

It’s a place where the opportunities to grow depends on oneself. Nobody will stop you but you may not have all the support either (e.g. doing research, presenting at a gallery or traveling for a conference). Teaching could be a rewarding experience because the classes are small and you can work deeply with each student’s project.

Transparent work environment

Collaborative team — opportunity for advancement — job shadowing — mentor ship—— great extended health program — quick interview process and on boarding —

The admissions boss does not trust his team.

(Worst 8 hours of my day since last year.) Hot leads, direct calls and walk in goes to favourites. Not a place to work. College goal is to pick up anyone and let them attend their first class so they are bound to loose 30% if they decide todrop. Abusing student loans. College smells bad. Upper management is disrespectful and abusive.hire and fire culture.Stay away. Job timings alternate shifts form 9 30 to 6 and 11 to 730 and friday 8 to 4 30.

Terrible place to work

Unethical practices are openly followed in this organization. If you currently have a stable job don't leave it for this organization. Poor culture, terrible salary will make you run away in days

Great place to work !

I worked with VCAD for 2 years ,unfortunately I had to leave due to family transition, VCAD is a great place to work with ,excellent work/life balance, Upper management are professional and supporting their employees , I started with VCAD with little experience but through the condensed great training sessions, I was able to pick up the job quickly and improve my skills ! VCAD truly does show appreciation to their employees . I personally learned a lot and appreciated the time that I spent with VCAD.

10 December 2019
Thank you for providing such great feedback! We are glad to hear your time at the Visual College of Art and Design was a positive and rewarding experience.

Great place to work!

Employed for 3 years. Amazing company! It allows me to build relationships with artistic students and guide them in pursuing their creative passionate careers & goals. The management team is very supportive in personal growth with constant education and recognition. My collegues are amazing! Great work environment.

10 December 2019
Thank you for the review and for the feedback! We are glad to hear your time at the Visual College of Art and Design has been a positive and rewarding experience. We are very happy to have you on the VCAD team!

Great 7 years

I've been employed by VCAD Vancouver/Calgary for almost 7 years, been surrounded by creative minds, competitive and collaborative environment and recognition.

Pros

working in education industry

Cons

no gym

10 December 2019

Productive and Professional place to work !!

I've been working for VCAD for last 5 years , Great company to work for , helping to change perspective students life , helping them to purse their life goals, and at the end helping them to get their dream Jobs !! Happy with all my managers , very supportive and understanding management team, Love all my colleague at work!! , The best place to grow !! : Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and never succeed. .

10 December 2019
Thank you for the review and for the feedback! We are glad to hear your time at the Visual College of Art and Design has been a positive and rewarding experience. We are very lucky to have employees like you!

Unreasonable management

This environment is stressful beyond belief. The management is unprofessional and is unethical. You will be expected to put more hours in, then you get credit for. you will be deducted any sick leave, regardless how much over time you have completed. Everyday, you will work with the fear, if you or a co-worker will be there the next day.. Hostile environment.

10 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are truly sorry that your time at the Visual College of Art and Design did not meet your expectations and we would like to learn more about your experience. Please email us at hrteam@vcad.ca so we can review improvement opportunities.Our goal is to ensure VCAD continues to be a great place to work for our employees. We appreciate your suggestions and feedback!

Unethical toxic place to work

No work life balance. You can work 10 extra hours in a week and if you need to leave early you still need to make up that time. Do whatever it takes to sign up students even if they are not qualified. Bully them if neededd. The goal is to sign up a student and hope they last at least 60 days so that the school makes some money. There is little to no ethics involved in this position. The training was basically reading a script and customizing it to your liking. Additional development was listening to a 9-minute Victor Antonio YouTube video during Friday sales meetings. 20% of the staff in Calgary have been fired without cause or explanation. Culture is toxic at best.

Pros

Decent commission

Cons

No work life balance, negative / toxic, unethical

Not recommended

Poorly ran school - Management is a joke and doesn't care about students. Very expensive tuition for students Staff turnover is very high! Would not recommend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Visual College of Art and Design. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6