Vistek Employee Reviews

Rentals
Rental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2019
The training is based on word of mouth and there is really no training manual. The manual was actually written by previous employees and in my book that is bad.

Management is lazy and they always sit at the back doing personal stuff. They never back you up if you need help and that is not a very good culture. The floor staff are mostly left to fend for themselves.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bad pay and terrible managers
Game of Vistek is toxic culture and total mess of a small company trying to act big
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2018
Vistek is decent if you’re looking to gain sales experience, network with customers, a few co-workers and browse online to gain knowledge or close out your twilight years before retirement.

A typical day at work is using a Point of Sale/Inventory program that takes up to 20-30 minutes to load/or reset. The Microsoft NAV Program is powerful IF it's programmed properly, NOT using outdated old servers that crash, numerous issues to post a simple and impossible for a large invoice. Microsoft came in one time and couldn't believe how bad the setup was.

A sale is very frustrating. Stock is usually low, every store is fighting for product, and Special orders take forever because they purchase within days/week of the order paid for and don't have a proper warehouse.
Trying to get the Customer's money is an another problem with Terminal Issues, online payment problems, shipping out products late, and the program doesn't even provide an automated tracking number. All of these sales procedures have to be done MANUALLY.

There's a lot of red tape if your orders get over a certain high dollar $5000+. Other departments will take it (or try), even if you do the work. There's NO Team bonuses which creates hostility between employees.

MAXIMUM Productivity for MINIMUM wage.

Management are button pushers if they can be found or get a hold of. They're mostly in meetings or looking at their phones in their offices instead of developing sales budgets, metrics, inventory control lists, constructive reviews. They're not Leaders but Yes Men.

The Company and Corporate politics
  more... are nasty. CEO has called himself a failed artist, but better business man. He's a moody failed artist and a cheap owner whom berates anyone if you aren't holding the company line or simply he doesn't like you. There's been plenty of employee lawsuits in history of the company.

The Tech industry and Vistek took a big hit in 2014. Store closures, massive layoffs, and now they have a new website that is a knock off of BHPhoto. Looks like it, but doesn't operate nearly as good or have any useful info.

HR (2018) doesn't know how to run/handle the company. HR can't hire fast enough with low pay employees with high end specialized skills. HR (only 1 person) makes over six figures and cares about keeping salaries low and corporate bonuses high. Complaints or issues will fall on death ears until you quit or be ignored.

There’s been an extreme churn in all departments over the year with new HR (district managers, managers, sales, purchasing, repairs, stock warehouse and lastly but most importantly the CEO and HR's own assistants!) so plenty of JOB (not careers) postings.
Try and get the best contract before going in because that's mostly what you'll get.

The mental health of every employee deteriorates with overloading tasks and long hours and you have to work every (or every other) Saturday, BUT you get a free unhealthy lunch like Pizza or fast food.

Benefits are very limited. Dental isn't 100% and the other ones don't matter, because you can't afford to use them.

The Pay is so low compared to your Sales of millions of dollars. You have to deal with high end maintenance customers with their issues and problems, and providing technical support for tons of products. It's barely over minimum wage and there's the tiny commissions that are taxed. The majority of your bonuses will go to Managers and Head office.

Vistek is trying to be BH Photo in New York, the gold standard of Photo/Video industry but can't compete with their resources. BH even ships to Canada..
Pros
Network with Customers, Co-workers, learn technology and online browsing
Cons
Long hours, Low Pay, Limited benefits, Loss of Mental Health...
Absolutely pathetic manager and never enough stock to sell
Video sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2018
I worked for four months there. Never had enough stock so I lost so many sales to either the downtown store. Amazon or Henry's. I asked so many times to increase our stock but fell on deaf ears. And why would it take 3-4 business days to get something transferred from downtown Toronto. 45 minute drive!
Wtf.
Never any support from the management team. Bad cop- good cop.
Never did have any proper training. The computer system is F**cked.
The GM favours the photo and rental teams. And has created a toxic work culture.
Productive and Welcoming Workplace
Video Sales (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2018
Pleasant workplace environment with a supportive management team. Vistek is a great place to build your customer service skills and sales techniques. The customers were great, the workload was fine, and the hours were balanced. I really enjoyed my time working for Vistek.
Not a "warehouse"!!!
Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
The "warehouse" they mention is a store basement- hardly a warehouse! No windows, lousy pay, hr ignored verbal abuse by sales clerks. Look elsewhere!
Pros
Cons
Many
Was working more then I was paid
Pro Video Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 August 2016
I was pulling in lots of business, making lots of sales however I wasn't compensated what I deserved & what I was promised when I had started. Management was all over the place.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Wasn't compensated enough for my hard work
great experiences
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 February 2014
I enjoy working with my co workers from day 1. everday is treated as if it was my first day. always eager to meet and make the customers satisfied.
Pros
fun days
Cons
distance from home